“Needs to Improve Customer Service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo

You added Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera las Terrenas, El Limon Km. 4, Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic (Formerly El Portillo Beach Resort)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Special Summer Sales
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Las Terrenas
New York
“Needs to Improve Customer Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Just returned from Grand Bahia El Portillo. The front desk is beyond horrible,. They are rude and not helpful at all!! Upon arriving at 4pm our rooms were not available. We reserved 3 standards....Finally at 5:30pm our rooms were ready after being rude back to the gentleman at the front desk! They treat you like you are a bother by being there . Once our rooms were ready, we were challenged with dead cockaroaches and filth! When we complained they laughed at us at the front desk and refused to get the manager for us. We were even ready to upgrade to Jr. suites and pay the difference, they said none available. Meanwhile at that time, the resort was empty!
After much screaming and pounding on desk, at 130 in the morning, were we heard!!! One room was inspected and the person himself could not believe the dirt or the bloody sheets left on the bed by the maid upon our arrival!!! Disgusting........
They found one Jr suite by then.....so one couple moved. They then offered us to move to their sister hotel which is 2.5 hours away. Then we heard from a concierge that was because El Portillo overbooked and the sister hotel was doing poorly!!
We went forward and made the best of our vacation. Beach is beautiful, however, the vendors were annoying.
I would probably go back but NOT to a standard room......Good luck to the front desk people, you should be happy to have a job and tourists that visit and learn to treat them with respect!!

Room Tip: Never go to ground floor rooms!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Jefe Calidad & Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay in our hotel. We appreciate your comment and value your opinion for the overall betterment of our hospitality.

We are sorry that we were not able to impress you with our services. Please let this not be a motive to not stay with us in the future as I can assure you that we continuously work with our staff in order to improve the quality and promptness of our services.

For any enquiry please contact us.

Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
  • Slovak first
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Let me start by saying that there were some people at this hotel that really went out of there way to give you great service. That being said there were also others that gave horrible service. It was like they worked for two seperate hotels. The maid service was terrible in restocking the rooms. We had to ask for wash clothes, shampoo and toilet paper several times. Yes toliet paper! We asked for ice one night and never got it. The rooms were cleaned well though, and the resort as a whole was very clean and maintained.
. The entertainment was awful and after two times we never went back. The vendors on the beach sell junk but they do go away if you say no. We were the only americans at the hotel and it seemed that they catered more to the canadians and europeans. We stayed in a Golden Club room, first in villa 8 and were moved to villa 1 after we requested a change.
There were some good points-I celebrated my birthday there and we ate in the seafood restaurant. They put flowers on the table and made hearts out of the petals in every corner. The staff that night went above and beyond to make the evening special, as opposed to the night we ate in the gormet restaurant and were ignored, served the wrong food and waited for 2 hours.
The beach was beautiful and the ocean clear most days. Most of the bartenders were friendly and the drinks were ok.
We traveled with friends and only my husband spoke spanish, thankfully! There were several times when no one understood english. He actually translated for other people we met on the trip as well.

There are a few things I would change at this hotel that would make it more appealing. First, I would put liquor in the mini bar along with juice. They need to make the ironing boards full size. The maids need to replenish everything every day without having to be asked. The service staff in the dining rooms need to be reminded that they are there to serve the table they have been assigned. We are great tippers but only if the service warrants. Also, I do wish there were ocean view rooms.

Room Tip: We liked the location of Villa 1. Close to everything.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us such a detailed review about the Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo. It will certainly help us to find the satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

We are very concerned to read about your disappointing experience and we are sorry to hear that we could not fulfill your expectations of a five star hotel. The problems you mentioned are totally under our standards of services, we will take actions in order to improve the areas indicated by you.

It will be a pleasure to assist you for your next visit.

Receive my warmest regards

Port Washington, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed at this place when it was under the name El Portillo Beach resort. At that time it was known only by the local people and the place was great to relax and away from everything. On those days they had no phone on the room and TV only in the reception area. You will never see people from the USA and mostly were Europeans with a stay of average 4 to 5 weeks. I could stay only 2 weeks the most and it was fantastic. I enjoyed the resort very much and we always booked the Cabana. My wife loved the place so much and she told me: if you take there again, I quit my job. I did and she really quit her job. She said that it would take her 6 weeks to go back to normal life after staying 2 there. I have not being since they changed but the place was fantastic. I am sure that you can not experience what my wife and I did when it was under El Portillo Beach resort. I can write 10 pages about it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Jefe Calidad & Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort, especially the services from our front desk department and that you appreciated the professionalism of our staff, we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal- the continuous improvement of our services. We are very proud to have received your excellent comments regarding our employees.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here at the beginning of October for 2weeks.
We are in our 20's and this hotel was perfect.

For the price we paid I was extremely happy with what we got for it.
we stayed in the junior suit which was very nice, big and bathroom was gorgeous.

The people there couldn't of been more helpful and brilliant customer service, they take there work seriously and do a brilliant job with everything they do.
The entertainment team were very funny and friendly especially Carlos ( david rodriguez ventura) some shows were a little boring but other shows made up for it, the circus show and Michael Jackson show was amazing out of the world.
also the Italian restaurant manager which I forgot his name :\ was very very helpful and a lovely man.

The food option was amazing especially me being a vegetarian, I have been to the Caribbean before and struggled with the food but this hotel was amazing for options and so clean.
also THE DESERTS ARE AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!

We also visited the main spa at the end of the resort which was lovely, a little pricey but completely worth the price. with purchase of treatment you get to use the spa facilities/ water showers/hot bath/sun loungers.

The beach was beautiful, could get a little crowded sometimes but was a beautiful view, also if you have a walk on the left side there is more beautiful scenery for photos. apparently the right side of the beach to walk down isn't most safe) so wouldn't recommend.

MY ONLY PROBLEM with the whole holiday is the locals what try to sell you things everyday at the beach at the resort,I understand they have to make a living and it isn't a private beach but every 5minutes every day gets rather frustrating during your holiday while your trying to relax and sleep.

LITTLE TIPS
-bring dollars ( we only got pesos when we got there but dollars as easier to use )
-go on the catering trip amazing !
& upgrade to junior suit CLUB was lovely and you get 10 or 20% off your spa treatments when being in the junior suit category ( different colour band).
- have some dollars ready for safe which you can pay when you get there.

Room Tip: junior suit club brilliant
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a good review of your recent stay at Gran Bahía Príncipe El Portillo in our Tripadvisor web page and share with our fans your experience with us, we are totally agree with you, we are blessed with one of the most beautiful beach. We would love to welcome you back soon in the near future whenever you are planning to come back to visit us.

Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday as a couple with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

The resort is absolutely gorgeous.. However! You do get harassed on the beach by the locals, and you have people in the reception area that like to try and convince you to buy things like local lottery tickets etc. I was approached by one guy who claimed he worked for the hotel, he offered me everything from excursions to drugs. Bring plenty of toiletries because the gift shop prices are stupidly high! The staff on the whole are amazing! Pleasant and will do anything to meet your needs, had. A very lovely time

Room Tip: If you can get one, get a junior superior suite.. Amazing
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns regarding your recent stay at our Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo.

We apologize for the inconvenience with the club privilege your comments have been tried with the up most diligence and have been referred to the General Hotel Manager as well as the Club Privilege Manager to take the appropriate measures in your case. Comments such as like yours are what we strive for everyday to improve the quality of our service which we provide.

Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We booked this getaway after careful review of the comments on trip advisor and I have to say that both my wife and I were not disappointed by the hotel or the wonderful staff that work so hard to make guests happy.
We took the advice of previous travellers and upgraded to the Junior Suite - thanks to Franklin at the front desk for looking after us there! I called down to the resort the week before and Franklin answered the phone - he was friendly and assured me that he would look after us when we arrive. So when we got to the resort, we simply went to the front desk and asked for him and he came out from behind the desk shook our hands and set us up in building 1 which was really convenient for us to the beach, dining rooms and bar. Our room was clean and spacious and it had a very nice bathroom which we both really appreciated! We got bathrobes, slippers and beach towels in the room and other than a couple of very small misses by the hotel - it was a great experience! In case you are wondering they didn't give us a key to the safe and we didn't get a welcome gift which we didn't realize until our last day at the resort.
Each day that he worked, Franklin would call us to make sure everything was okay with our room and that we were happy with the hotel and I have to say I have never had that kind of treatment before and we really appreciated the extra effort! As an 18 year old man he impressed the heck out of me with his maturity and sense of delivering excellent customer service. On his days off he travelled many hours to attend school to learn English and the hotel is lucky to have him on their team!
The beach is great and while we had some rough days from the wind and waves, we had some great days where we could snorkel and see the reef and tropical fish! We walked the beach several times over the course of the week and you can walk for miles along this beautiful beach and I can never get enough of that! We met the stray dogs that people mention - and being dog lovers my wife tried each day to sneak them out something to eat and they never really bother the guests except to look for a little food or water for those who are willing to share the love.
We spent a lot of time at the quiet pool and really enjoyed that!
We also took a couple of excursions and I just want to mention these so people know what to expect. We did the trip to Limon falls on horseback and despite the hard rain we encountered totally loved the trip. Our guides were great and man do they work hard to ensure you get there and back safely! We didn't swim in the falls due to the rain but many others did and one of the locals did a couple of high dives which was pretty cool! One word of caution for those who are thnking about this - it is quite a climb up and down to the falls so you need to be preapred for that. The meal they served at the end was a local buffet and we totally enjoyed that with our group! The second trip we took was the Zipline and we were so fortunate to meet the gentlemen who dared to dream of this and make it happen. His name is Bart and he was an inspiration to both of us that he was building his dream! It is no wonder why this trip is rated #1 in the Carribean and we didn't even know that when we booked it! I highly recommend that people do this and I want to assure you that it is very safe and a ton of fun! Bart has built out a resort and he is almost done and ready to open. It is built at the bottom of the Ziplines and is comprised of a eco-friendly construction made with local material and labour. He has built a series of treehouse rooms designed to give guests a luxury stay in the midst of the tropical forrest. At the end of tour we walked all through his property and we met his family and his staff and I was touched by the personal service he gave us. The people who work with and for Bart were wonderful and I feel we got to know a little more about the wonderful people of the RD! Do this trip - you will not be disappointed!
Back to the resort - we ate at four of the specialty restaurants and they were very nice. I want to mention Santos at El Pescadora, who provided us with excellent service on our last night at the resort. The only thing we found with the hotel is that we got a little tired with the buffet. So what we did to break up the trip is go into Las Terrenas for lunch and dinner and I highly recoomend that if you are looking to switch it up a little. In the main buffet we met a wonderful server named Anna who really went out of her way to look after us. She is a wonderful person who really stood out to us and made our trip special!
We like to tip and one thing I can tell you is that it is really appreciated! Tip what you can afford, and try to help the people that work so hard in the background to make your stay at the resort. This is and beautiful place to spend your hard earned vacation dollars! We will definitely come back next year!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking your time to write this nice review about our hotel!
We are really happy that you have enjoy your holiday in El Portillo and at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo.

We are really glad to see that you have enjoyed every minute with us, we work hard to succeed our guest needs and we are so happy to see that we did it with you and you have a memorable holiday with us.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Samana

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We were there for a wedding with 35 other people. At the beggining we had some room issues but the manager sorted it out wonderfully. The beach is beautiful, the buffets are always full of fresh food. The employees work so hard.. And make you feel like you belong! Very nice people.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comment about your stay at the Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo.

You can be sure that there is no biggest reward for us than to get a message like yours knowing you are really blissful with the product of our effort to do everything to make your wedding dream reality.

We are glad that you have enjoyed your visit with us. We are delighted to share your comments with the rest of our staff.

Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday as a couple with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
#14 of 58 in Samana Province
4.5 of 5 stars 2,853 reviews
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection

Been to Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo? Share your experiences!