Let me start by saying that there were some people at this hotel that really went out of there way to give you great service. That being said there were also others that gave horrible service. It was like they worked for two seperate hotels. The maid service was terrible in restocking the rooms. We had to ask for wash clothes, shampoo and toilet paper several times. Yes toliet paper! We asked for ice one night and never got it. The rooms were cleaned well though, and the resort as a whole was very clean and maintained.
. The entertainment was awful and after two times we never went back. The vendors on the beach sell junk but they do go away if you say no. We were the only americans at the hotel and it seemed that they catered more to the canadians and europeans. We stayed in a Golden Club room, first in villa 8 and were moved to villa 1 after we requested a change.
There were some good points-I celebrated my birthday there and we ate in the seafood restaurant. They put flowers on the table and made hearts out of the petals in every corner. The staff that night went above and beyond to make the evening special, as opposed to the night we ate in the gormet restaurant and were ignored, served the wrong food and waited for 2 hours.
The beach was beautiful and the ocean clear most days. Most of the bartenders were friendly and the drinks were ok.
We traveled with friends and only my husband spoke spanish, thankfully! There were several times when no one understood english. He actually translated for other people we met on the trip as well.
There are a few things I would change at this hotel that would make it more appealing. First, I would put liquor in the mini bar along with juice. They need to make the ironing boards full size. The maids need to replenish everything every day without having to be asked. The service staff in the dining rooms need to be reminded that they are there to serve the table they have been assigned. We are great tippers but only if the service warrants. Also, I do wish there were ocean view rooms.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 pools Jacuzzi Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, basketball court, volleyball net on the beach Water activity and scuba diving centre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment theatre Main buffet restaurant and 3 a la carte restaurants 4 Bars Snack-bar Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, bars and disco. Rooms 462 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Club Golden Junior Suite, Club Hacienda Junior Suite and Superior Junior Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Air conditioning Ceiling fan Terrace or balcony Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (with additional charge) WiFi (additional charge) Ironing set (available on request) Superior Junior Suite: balcony or terrace, sitting area with sofa-bed, ironing set, coffee-making facilities, private guest service phone line, umbrella, VIP amenities. Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Bahia Scout Water park Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Personalised diets on request and subject to circumstances Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo Hotel Las Terrenas
- El Portillo Beach Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo Las Terrenas, Samana, Dominican Republic