“The best location in DR” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo

You added Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera las Terrenas, El Limon Km. 4, Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic (Formerly El Portillo Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Las Terrenas
North Bergen, NJ
“The best location in DR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed for a week from August 7-14/2013, been in DR before, in Punta Cana but this place is way better for family vacations, the beach beautiful and perfect for kids, is like a huge swimming pool, no waves.
the hotel is good and the staff as usually in DR very friendly.
The room (regular room) is a pretty good size room and extremely clean thanks to Ana Raquel Shepard she was our maid most of the week, very nice girl and friendly taking care of all of the room needs
Let's start with the public relation team, very friendly specially with my soon (3 years old) sorry Just remember one name from the team Carlos Rosario but the whole team is wonderful.
Moving on the food is good especially in the gourmet restaurant,"Orquidea" excellent food specially when Felix is the chef that night, If you want to feel special just ask for Junior as your server, everybody is good but he was special with us as well as Ramon the restaurant Captain.
At the buffet restaurant just look for Jose Antonio Garcia as your server and you will not complain about service.
100% recommended for family vacations. the bed is a little be hard but is just for a few days

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Jefe Calidad & Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your preference in visiting the Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo and taking the time to write your positive impressions and suggestions.

It is very nice to read that you have appreciated our location. For the improvement of our facilities.

We will be so happy to welcome you back again to the most beautiful beach on earth, we will make sure your stay is nothing else but a wonderful experience again.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Samana

Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
Bedford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Right away I will say that despite various annoying aspects everyone had a great holiday. After our first visit as a couple, this time we spanned the age ranges, two OAPs - MrF and I, our two 40ish sons, our 30 year old Brazilian daughter-out-law, grandson aged 20 and two little grandchildren 8 and 9, so for everyone to have had a good time says a lot for El Portillo as a family destination.

The journey with Thomsons was good, the food wasexcellent for those in premium on the way out, not so good for the two relegated to economy and even the premium food was dreadful on the way back, but the transfers both ways were slick.

I was very disappointed when we were given a room in Block 25, just about the furthest block from the beach, backing on to the staff quarters (absolutely no noise though), when I had requested rooms near the beach as I had paid the Golden Club supplement and thought all the GC rooms were in villas in that vicinity. Furthermore MrF and I are repeat returners to EP and other Bahia hotels. I do appreciate that finding three rooms two of them interconnecting, which was a great boon for me sorting out kids’ clothes etc, was difficult; I was told that they were fully booked when I enquired about a room change. I asked the family whether I should try pushing for a more convenient room at the end of the first week, but no one wanted to re pack and up sticks so we stayed put.

Having said that, the rooms were big and comfortable. We always love the firm BP beds, were happy with the pillows and the air con was the best we have had for ages, being both quiet and efficient. The bathroom was fine, but I was very wary of the wash basin. Though it had a plug, there was no little metal strainer thing to stop small items disappearing down the hole, spelling certain doom for contact lenses or earings carelessly handled.

However we had real issues with the service we received. On arrival there was absolutely no information in any of the rooms about anything, nothing about the free room service no info on towel exchange or what facilities were available in the resort or even times of meals. Though we asked both at the Golden Club and in Spanish directly to our maid for our room to be cleaned in the morning rather than the afternoon or worse early evening, this was very hit and miss. On one occasion I got out of the shower to discover no bath towels had been left for us, but the biggest problem was the turn down or, more accurately let down service. Now I am not normally bothered about turn down, but as it was one of the few identifiable features of the Golden Club we had paid for, I was determined to have it. Sometimes one room was turned down sometimes none and on one glorious occasion all three were done at once. Our own room was done five times out of 14 nights. Poor Georgina, Keira and Amilcar, Golden Club staff, must have been at their wits’ end at my daily visits. They did everything they could to get it through to housekeeping that we were not getting the required service, summoning the housekeeper in my presence, also Carlos Rosario who is, Ithink, the reception manager but with very little success. Nevertheless i was very impressed with their charm and attempts to help. Other features of the Golden Club were also conspicuously absent, the "welcome cocktail" was the same fruit juice that was given to everyone who arrived with us, as was the “private reception” - private to the whole bus full.

In hind sight I would not have bothered to cough up several hundred ££s for all of us to be Golden Clubbing. As we are returners we would have been allowed four visits to the restaurants anyway. I shall know next time but I would suggest to anyone else especially if you are returners, don’t bother.

We were given a free late check out (worth 10 dollars) in the light of the problems we had, but I had to sign a form saying this had sorted out any complaints I had with BP. As our contract was with Thomsons it is they I will be contacting.

Just to get all moans over, when we arrived the red wine was foul! We are quite used to drinking BP house wine but this was something else. I complained bitterly to Amilcar, and a few days the barrel or whatever had clearly been changed as the wine became normal again. A good reason for visiting the a la cartes because the wine there is from a decent bottle.

Now the good stuff: Buffet food was fine and popular with all the family including two veggies. Breakfasts are extensive, don’t miss the silky chocolote and churros located next to the excellent egg man. We generally ate lunch at the beach restaurant with its sensational views. All the bar staff were lovely and drinks are fine and litte Flor and Josepina, waitresses in the lobby bar are wonderful.

We were not wild about the range of food especially for vegetarians in the Mediterranean restaurant though our waiters on our only visit, Alexander and Adelberto, were very professional and nice. Our first visit to the Portofino Italian restaurant was terrific, it made a lovely end to out first full day. Our next visit was a complete disaster. Wrong dishes, right ones received by wrong people, disparate timing, the tenderloin had obviously been cooked the day before and was dubbed leatherloin. My pizza had raw dough and unmelted cheese but at least the saltembocca was perfect as it was on each visit. As we were leaving having very obviously not left a tip, Kisairo, one of the managers was reckless enough to ask how we had enjoyed the meal. So I told him. The rest of the family slunk off pretending they did not know me.

However, we gave it another chance in our last week. Totally different! Kisairo and all his staff could not have been more solicitous and the food was very good as was the warmed brandy brought to us at the end. It was a lovely occasion and top marks to Kisairo for dealing so well with the complaint.

We ate three times in the Gourmet restaurant. Maitre D’ Ramon runs a great professional outfit. The food was at all times terrific and I have no idea how people can complain about small portions, The chicken roulade was delectable as was all the meat and our waiters Eddy and Junior excellent. Ramon also supervises the breakfast buffet which we always ate outside. I loved the breakfast Mimosas (Bucks Fizz to us Brits) and even on non-Mimosa days Ramon appeared with a sparkling glass specially for me. Top man! Thank you Ramon for looking after our family so well right through the holiday.

We took the family on the zipline trip run by Terry of TourSamanawithTerry, highly recommended, and on a snorkelling trip with TDA Divers at Las Galeras. I have written separate reviews of these. Son and partner also booked a buggie driving excursion via our nice Thomson rep. Simon - wonderful apparently and very good value. They also went on the trip involving horse riding to El Limon falls. Sadly if you a person with any compassion towards horses you would do well to avoid this trip. They were very upset indeed by the treatment meted out to, and the condition of, the horses.

The rest of family really enjoyed the programme organised by the Animateurs. MrF and I are not ones for jolly beach games but we could easily see that Daniel and his gang are in a class of their own, the most enthusiastic and organised we have ever seen at a BP hotel. The archery was interesting, apparently carried out with a refreshingly cheerful disregard for any boring British notions of health and safety. All the kids liked the beach games particularly when our big kid won the “Iron Man” competition. The evening entertainment varied from super to not very. The professional dancers and acrobats were remarkably good and our small children loved everything. We are of course still singing snatches of the Bahia Principe song, and new addition “Choco-Choco-late”. Well done and thanks, Daniel!

So to sum up - beach – everyone knows it is unsurpassable, sea - bathwater warm, pool, - kids loved it, weather - a few short rain showers. Staff were patient in the face of my whinges about Golden Club service. One star knocked off `Value’ and "Service" because of GC issues otherwise many thanks to all of you mentioned above and very many others at El Portillo too..

At the start of the holiday we got some remarks from spoilt sons to the effect that it was “OK but it isn’t the Maldives is it?” No, you are darned right and it’s not the Maldives price either. At the end of the trip this had changed to “Great choice Mum, what about coming back next year?”

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us such a detailed review about the Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo. It will certainly help us to find the satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

We are very concerned to read about your disappointing experience and we are sorry to hear that we could not fulfill your expectations of a five star hotel. The problems you mentioned are totally under our standards of services, we will take actions in order to improve the areas indicated by you.

It will be a pleasure to assist you for your next visit.

Receive my warmest regards

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Caribbean paradise surrounded in lush tropical vegetation. Things that were most important to me turned out to be impeccable. The first one is beautiful beach with white sand, teeming marine life in the reefs nearby the coastline, lots of shade from trees and wooden umbrellas spread all around the beach, etc. Second is close proximity to the airport: we were in the hotel 45 minutes after we disembarked from the plane. Third is miniclub - our kids were taken good care of in the variety of activities like water park or all sorts of competitions. Shows and entertainment team were fascinating. Food was good albeit I've seen better variety and more delicious cooking elsewhere.
We had to change room after 3 nights of stay as mattress on a single bed was crooked (one side was lower than the other) and the floor tiles were uneven and cracking when stepped on.
That was the only inconvenience in otherwise very pleasant and relaxing stay.

Room Tip: If you are a swim lover like me the best spot in the beach is near snack bar and boat/kayak station...
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind opinion about our hotel, we really appreciate it because it helps us to learn about our guest needs and satisfy them.

We are really so happy that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel and our beautiful beach we hope to welcome you once again in Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo.

Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday as a couple with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

First off, I would love to give a big, warm shout-out to the Animation Team, with special mentions to our two favourites, CHARLIE and DANIEL !!! :D They were hilarious, lively, and always tried to put a smile on our faces! :) We love them and we miss them very much! <3

Not to mention, the cheerful and friendly bartender, Euclides!! :)

My family and I would like to say that we had a great vacation at this hotel and resort! It was our first ever trip to the Dominican Republic and we stayed there for 7 days and 6 nights, and it was an unforgettable experience! It is definitely a great family resort:

- the morning/lunch/dinner buffet food was great!
- you must try the Veal Fillet at the Orquidea french restaurant, it was so delicious!
- all restaurant and buffet servers were all very accommodating and friendly :)
- the hotel lobby is grand, clean, and spacious
- the hotel drivers were kind and helpful
- the beach was absolutely fantastic! (the water was clear and beautiful, there was a lot of
tropical fishes by the nearby reef.I recommend renting out or having snorkeling gear to explore the reefs, if not, then bring goggles!)
- the Michael Jackson show and the Circus show was amazing!
- the Snack Bar buffet served great food, very convenient to grab lunch while by the other side of the beach
- there were a lot of engaging activities for all ages to participate at the beach, and even at some of the 9:30 shows!
- the pool areas were clean and great for kids to swim in
- the hotel rooms were clean and neat

The only few minor letdowns regarding one of our hotel rooms (#11307) on this trip, were:

- the maids would occasionally forget to replenish a few toiletry items, which was okay
- we lost a cellphone in our hotel by accident :( the hotel maids must have rushed to get the place cleaned and did not notice that it was left on the bed and must have grabbed the bedsheets all at once without seeing the phone...but we do sincerely understand that it was partly our fault
- some of the lighting in our hotel room did not work and needs a bit of maintenance
- one of our hotel keys did not work several times, and the front desk workers were not as hospitable, but I do recommend asking for Carlos Rosario who was much more attentive, social, and helpful than the rest!

Overall, we loved and enjoyed the trip, and we wish everyone (who works at the Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo Hotel & Resort) well and all the best!! We appreciate everything that you have done for us! Much love xoxo

- Mimi

Room Tip: The hotel rooms that we stayed at (hotel building # 11) is close to a different pool away from the b...
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate you have chosen our Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo for your first trip to the Dominican Republic.

We appreciate the observations concerning the staff.

We are sorry that we were not able to impress you with our services. We are informing about your issues to our general manager. We will take actions in order to improve the areas indicated by you.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed 2 weeks in july with family. Loved it so much we never wanted to leave and already thinking about our third visit next summer.
Compared to last year when we last went around the same time of year, not much has changed, and the resort remains the best and my favourite across the Dominican Republic (having gone another 4 times to different resorts across the country).
The grounds are still just as beautiful and well maintained as they were last year. Talking of which, a big thank you to the hard working staff who are awake before anyone else to make sure the grounds remain perfect all whilst working in intense heat.
The beach is just how we remembered it last year too, clean, clear and perfect in every way. The reef full of life with multiple beautiful fish which were great fun to feed with sausages from the buffet (and not bread, as this kills the fish). We had tons of fun snorkelling in the morning when the water was at its best. Highly recommended, even to small children as the water stays shallow quite far out.
The food was also just how we remembered it last year, pretty much diverse and delicious throughout the buffet, and at the beach restaurant.
The hotel staff is just as lovely, friendly and helpful as well. A special shout out to the lovely pool bar man Euclides, always with a smile on his face. He's definitely a keeper.
You couldn't go a day without being smiled at and greeted with an 'Hola' everywhere you went and from whomever you crossed. The dominicans are definitely the friendliest people I know.
As far as excursions go, we went to Playa Rincon, which by the way, is probably the most beautiful beach i've ever been to. Definitely recommend it.
I would also like to point out one element which has changed from last year which was rather unexpected to me and to a few other returnees. The animation team from last year was the best; the two twins Ariel and Daviel whom were the liveliest and the most enthusiastic people in the whole hotel. I was saddened to find out that this year, the two brothers were separated, with Ariel moved to Cayacoa, another BP resort in the area. Not only this, but poor Daviel was put in the towel shack for most days where he was almost forgotten about, whereas last year he and his brother were pretty much the stars of the show. He also only did his aerobics twice out of 2 weeks (which had the most participants and were the best by far), compared to last year when he and his brother used to do them everyday, the beach one as well as the pool one. Don't get me wrong, the other animation team members are good, but they don't come anywhere close to the twins. I was glad to hear that Ariel will be back two months from now, but I think something should be done to put the two unsung stars back where they belong. We became good friends with them both last year, as well as this year with Daviel, and they're such good people they really do deserve it. They are extremely hard working, and I really hope something gets done about this.
Simon the Thomson definitely went the extra mile for us, as well as Sandi at the reception. The barman in charge of the bar in the sea which was set up every few days was also great.
Altogether, an utmost amazing stay as expected. Definitely recommend the hotel to anyone who wants a relaxing and family holiday, and who are looking for the 5 star quality.
Would definitely go back, without a shadow of a doubt.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking your time to write this nice review about our hotel!

We are really happy that you have enjoyed your holiday in El Portillo and at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo.

We are really glad to see that you have enjoyed every minute with us, we work hard to succeed our guest needs and we are so happy to see that we did it with you and you have a memorable holiday with us.

Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday as a couple with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

I had a Great time with my Family ! The Kids enjoyed the Waterpark a Lot. The food was really good and the Service people are very caring. The horsebackride with the Waterfalls Trip is a blast dont miss that but the Island Tour and the "Safari" are not Wirth spending Money on that.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you in the name of our General Manager and all our staff Members for taking your time to share your comments and experience through Trip Advisor. Certainly it is very important for us to know your opinion regarding our service and our facilities and we hope to can host you once again very soon.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Samana

Whitby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Had a good time on vacation at this hotel. Rooms very clean. Staff always cleaning the lobby. Enjoyed the buffet with the variety of food much better than the speciality restaurants. Food always hot and much to choose from for all meals. Sometimes ran out of plates,would be concern if high season. Staff in the dinning room at times primary dinner did not always ask if you would like a drink or any kind, had to request from manager.

Exceptional service at the front desk by Franklin. Very pleasure and well liked individual. Did anything to make us enjoy our stay.

Exceptional service by Austin at the large pool bar. Works so hard everyday. Makes great drinks and is open to being shown new ones from visitors. "Martinis" very likeable person and was great joy to meet him

Found the island very tropical and extremely humid at night time. Not sure I would go again in August for this reason only. Other than this beach is lovely always clean. Pool very nice. And activity team are great people and work to make sure enjoying your day.

Room Tip: Select room in block 4, 5 or 6 as close to lobby area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to know that you had a fantastic time with us. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations, and it is wonderful to read that you are considering coming back to our Resort.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you next year in our Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo

Been to Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo? Share your experiences!