“Beautiful Hotel and great staff” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Atlantis
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Bonita, Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Las Terrenas
Dumaguete City, Philippines
“Beautiful Hotel and great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed at Atlantis for five nights and it was amazing. The rooms are simple but really big, really cute and have everything you could need. The grounds are so beautiful, and the food is great. The staff was very helpful and nice. The only downside is that its a little difficult to get into town, but thats just how it is in Las Terrenas at the moment. and at any time, if you need a ride the front desk calls a moto for you. One day we had some local fisherman take us fishing, and when we caught a dorado, the staff took it and made a huge gourmet dinner for us with their ingredients and didn't even charge us. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We spent 5 days here in March of 2012 and I wanted to say how lovely it was. The location, right on the beach and the quirky nature of the rooms was perfect. The chef produced wonderful food and we felt after staying at 2 other hotels close to and in Terrassas that we had struck lucky. Walking on the beach for about 10 minutes brings you to another beach which reminded us of Robinson Crusoe, it was so perfect. The location, on the Semana Peninsula, has changed our impression of the DR as one of unrestricted all-inclusives as the peninsula remains unspoiled. An hour's drive over the mountains and you are actually inside the peninsula and the whale watching was unsurpassed. We so loved the humpbacks as they frolicked around our boat. Wonderful experience and quite awesome. So nice to see a bit of the real Dominican Republic compared to an all-inclusive we stayed in for 3 days when we first arrived. As usual, you could be anywhere in any country and there was absolutely nothing of the real DR. We will certainly return to the Atlantis.

Room Tip: Most are fine. We chose one with screens on the windows as we hate air conditioning and they were a...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

After a home rental that didn't work out so well in Las Terrenas, my BF and I decided to look for a reasonably priced hotel near the beach -- and that's where we found this gem! Hotel Atlantis was quiet, comfortable, and quaint. We felt safe 100% of the time, and the food, by a renowned French chef, was amazing. Right on the beach, we came to love Playa Bonita, and we would love to come back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed at this place for the weekend and we chose it because where we were staying was disappointing. Our room was really nice and airy. Water pressure in the bathroom was so nice after a swim on the beach. The breakfast included was really good and the food in the restaurant as well. The staff were very accommodating and friendly. This is a definite "go back to" and recommend to friends kind of place.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view if you can afford it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Santo Domingo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

This small hotel is our first choice when in Las Terrenas. It is, as the Dominicans say, "muy tranquilo"! Wonderful helpful but unobtrusive staff. Very comfortable rooms. Nice shady area under the palms right on the beach. The owner of the third-best rated French restaurant in the DR (in Las Galeras) told me that the Atlantis is rated the best French restaurant on the Island. I believe it. We've been several times in the past few years and have never been disappointed. The road from town has been repaved and getting in and out is much easier. Also, the new highway from Santo Domingo has been extended and now goes directly to LT, avoiding the bumpy ride over the mountain and cutting the drive time to less than three hours. We are planning a weekend there in a few days. Highly recommend the Atlantis.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front side with a view of the water.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Medellin, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

There are a few good restaurants in Las Terrenas, and this is one of them. The french cuisine, service, prices, and ocean front views make this a place not to miss, when visiting Las Terrenas. The signs which point the direction to this place are a little hard to see at night, so you should probably scope it out during the day.
The french influence in Las Terrenas is wonderful for those of us who like sauces, desserts, and savory appetizers. I've eaten here three times over the past couple weeks. In my last visit, I had a simple spaghetti bolognaise with the house salad, and for dessert, the sabayon. The pasta was al dente, which is exactly how I like it, and the sauce, so savory, that I soaked up the remaiing sauce with the freshly baked break they had served. And the sabayon with fresh cantalope, watermelon, and custardy sauce was incredibly light, sweet, and refreshing. We split the meal as there was plenty of spaghetti, and salad to make a meal for two. In all, with drinks, we paid less than $35. In most of the other places, with similar food listings in Las Terrenas, we were paying as much as $60 for the same thing.

Room Tip: They didn't have the restaurant listed separately, so I rated it here under the hotel name.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

My husband and I chose Hotel Atlantis for our "first" honeymoon (we call it first just because we both agreed to take a more extended honeymoon when we have more time and to a place neither of us has gone before - but this sure was one!). We had both been to Las Terrenas before but knowing it would be super busy and loud during the Easter break we wanted to stay somewhere quieter, away from the crowds, where we could take walks, lots of pictures, have some good food and just relax and catch up on some needed sleep after almost a week of wedding festivities. To find the hotel, follow signs to Playa Bonita and ask around - we were driving there around 8:30 and it was quite dark, all the people and guards were very nice. We stayed at the "Quito" room, top floor and ocean view disrupted by some trees but ocean view nonetheless. Our room was kept clean and we got fresh towels every day. My husband is now obsessed with the juniper shampoo they put in the rooms. The hotel grounds are beautifully kept and it's right on the beach - you walk out and you're right there. The staff also works very hard to keep the beach clean. There were sufficient beach chairs for everyone around - I spent a long time in those chairs reading and napping. Playa Bonita is a rather long stretch of very consciously developed beach - no giant resorts here. Very good opportunities for photos - we got great sunset ones. Breakfast is included in the hotel rates and even when it might not seem abundant to some people, it was more than enough for my husband and me. The bread is delicious. We had lunch once and dinner twice at the restaurant - and understood why it's not to be missed. They have a great wine selection - as any decent French establishment should - and the food is plentiful, delicious and above all, FRESH. I have a rule of always eating fish of the day when I go the Samana Peninsula - and here I really understood why I do so. The tuna with peppercorn sauce I had was possibly some of the freshest tuna I have ever had, paired with perfect sides. I could eat that squash mash for a looooong time. Ah so delicious! It might be pricier than other places but you get your money's worth - in my opinion.
One thing: this hotel and the surrounding areas are really not for people looking to party. This is a place to relax and enjoy your surroundings, not to go crazy. If you're looking to party, stay in Las Terrenas. Please.
And yes, the dogs are ADORABLE.
I'd go back there any day of the week. It was so lovely!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Atlantis? Share your experiences!