“Great location but....” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
“Great location but....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

This pub/restaurant is in a wonderful spot alongside the river Thames. For that alone it is worth visiting. But if standing and queing at the bar waiting to be served is another of your pastimes then this is definitely the place to go. The service standards at the bar are shocking.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Reading, United Kingdom
“Beautiful location but the food is poor,& what pub/restaurant runs out of tonic water on a Saturday, this one does!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We have been using the G&D for many years, so it was interesting to receive a response to "Can I get you a drink? Gin & tonic please. Sorry we ran out of tonic this morning." Coupled with the food being pretty average to not very god & smaller portions than 3 months ago, I really cannot recommend except for the location at the moment, Sorry G&D but you used to do very much better.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Berkshire
“I am stunned!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

George and Dragon has been my favourite restaurant for many years. We live closer to the Warren so visit there frequently but as it was our 5th wedding anniversary, decided to drive out here for a special meal. We visit once every couple of months. I normally only leave reviews for hotels but after this evening, felt I had to write about our experience.

I cannot believe how downhill it has gone. Our special meal was totally ruined. Firstly we had to move as we were put next to a table of 10 who were having a party and we couldn't hear ourselves speak. This didn't go down well when we requested this bug another table was found. Portions were much smaller than usual and food was poor. My wife left half her fish which I tried also and was disgusting. Salt and pepper squid wasn't salt and pepper at all. The gypsy tart (I am a kent boy so know my gypsy tarts) was thick and tasteless. I could go on.

Then there was the service. Not enough staff, took an age to order first drink and meal (we actually had to ask the waitress if we could order now) and it took 50 minutes between our starter and main. I appreciate it was Friday night and it was busy but this is ridiculous. Embarrassingly whilst trying to have our meal, the family next to us who has arrived before us, still hadn't had their main when we were served our dessert. They then complained to the host who claimed it was because we hadn't had a starter and they had so we were quicker through our meal. We had had a starter which they used in their argument so whilst trying to enjoy what we could of a poor evening, there were raised voices and finger pointing which was cringing and we tried to keep our heads down. They left without having their meal and we felt very sorry for them as it was a 40th birthday meal which had been ruined. They had arrived at 1930 and left at 2100 with only a drink and starter. Our experience was slightly better but not much. Staff didn't look like at all that they wanted to be there, no friendliness and we very much had the feeling that everything was a chore for them.

I doubt the management are reading these reviews and judging by the number of poor reviews lately, this must be the case or they are choosing to ignore them. Either way, you have just lost a loyal customer as we walked out and said we won't be coming back here again.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Dreadful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We went into the pub last night, ordered a gin and tonic - run out of tonic! How can a pub not have any tonic? The beer had run out, girl said she'd put another barrel on, clearly hadn't as the barman was pulling the pump for about 5 mins with nothing coming out. Someone else then went to check - surprise, surprise the girl hadn't put a new barrel on!

Night before friends went in there to be told "no food".??!!

The whole place is dreadfully run, never enough staff, tables full of empty glasses on tables by the river, empty crisp packets on the grass, they then end up in the river - great.
It's not rocket science to work out that a pub right next to a river is going to be busy as soon as the weather is reasonable - get more staff, collect empty glasses, and make sure you have tonics - pull your socks up! You really don't know how much local trade you lose - and we're the ones who might come in during the cold months. Get your act together.
I am writing to head office as well, this has been going on for far too long, it was the same last summer.

• Visited July 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointing!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

It's been a while since I've visited this pub despite living and working locally.
From the moment we walked up to the bar to the moment we left the whole experience was poor. On arrival I asked for a bottle of Modelo, the barman looked at me perplexed (slightly worrying that he didn't know), he then handed me a dishwasher marked pint glass and the bottle - a half pint glass would have sufficed! In addition to this he looked completely dis-engaged and not interested at all, the bar was a mess sticky and the menus were filthy and smelt of stale drink.
We ventured outside to sit on the terrace, we found a table (that wasn't full of empty glasses) and sat down only to find that there were bits of broken glass left on the table, the decking looked so tired, the lights were covered in splatters of food and cobwebs. So we decided to move inside.
The rest of the group arrived and we queued to order our food at the bar, for a Thursday night and with 4 bar staff it was disappointing to see the queue was nearly out of the door. The staff seemed to have no sense of urgency or seemed to actually care! We ordered out food individually but all sat at the same table, you would have thought that they would have thought that as we were sat together that we might all want our food to arrive together? Errrr no we each waited for our dishes to arrive, in the end some of us had to start as the food was getting cold, some of us had finished by the time the final dishes arrived. I had spit-roast chicken, this was overcooked and dry - disappointing!
One last thing that just topped it all off was one of the bar staff insisted on throwing the empty wine bottles into the bin every 5 mins, this made a massive smashing noise as was completely unnecessary.
Just because a pub / restaurant has a beautiful location doesn't mean that it's acceptable to provide shoddy service and poor quality food. I hope the management actually listen to the negative reviews.

• Visited July 2014