“excellent food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Windlesham, United Kingdom
“excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

A meal of really quality, superb. My only critisism is the landlady who is clearly well trained needs to pass on her training to her staff who made basic errors, strching across the table, forgetting drinks, not clearing the tables properly etc although I would hasten to add they were very pleasant, just rough around the edges.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

92% Recommend
Exeter, United Kingdom
“very disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I decided to have a final night out before leaving the country for 3 months in May. We came to The White Horse with high expectations. Unfortunately, they weren't met.
We arrived and it wasn't as busy as it might have been, but it seemed very nice and we found a very comfortable sofa to sit on and very shortly afterwards we were asked if we'd like to order drinks. We chose from the menu, only to discover that they had very little still available to order, my friend had to change what they wanted three times.

We sat down to eat, and had a starter. It was beautifully presented, however, missing it's main ingredient! It was a goat's cheese salad, without the goat's cheese! There was plenty of beetroot and lovely shreds of carrots, but no cheese. After 5 minutes they brought out a bowl with lumps of goat's cheese in and left it on the table. It looked ugly and wasn't a part of the dish. This is really unacceptable for a pub that is supposed to be excellent for service, value and food.

The mains were again presented, beautifully. However, they were pretty small. A couple of the mains ordered were supposed to come with side vegetables. I waited for almost ten minutes to get the attention of one of the waitresses (who had looked at me and ignored me several times) I pointed out that we were missing our side salad and it was met with "oh? sorry, I'll go and see", again we waited for a desperately long time. Finally the vegetables arrived, again just slapped in a bowl and looking ugly.

Whilst the meal in itself tasted fine, and in parts looked lovely. The price was extortionate for the service we received that evening. Without asking the waitress did come up to our table at the end and offer us a 10% discount and admitted they could have done better.

A lovely pub, and has potential to be a lovely venue but the prices were very high for the service we received. I hope it was just a one off.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rebecca Katheri... r, Owner at The White Horse, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
We were very disappointed to receive your recent comments on Trip Advisor and can only apologise for not looking after you in the manner to which you were expecting. On the night in question we were down to one chef due to illness and had restricted the bookings because of this. As this was three months ago perhaps you are now back? If you would be so kind as to contact us personally I would be very keen to discuss your comments and see what we could do put things right.
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent pub food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Just had a wonderful meal for a birthday party for 10 people, having booked only the day before. Even on a Wednesday the restaurant was pleasantly busy, but the service was friendly and efficient. All of us loved our food. I shared a fabulous sea food platter for 2 as a starter which was pretty substantial and was glad I'd only ordered lobster bisque to follow. The soup was sensationally intense. Creme brulee best I've had in years.The wine list (Christopher Piper Wines) was also excellent. Will certainly go again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rebecca Katheri... r, Owner at The White Horse, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Lewis Ripley, Thank you so much for your lovely review from all the team at The White Horse, and we look forward to seeing again, kind regards, Rebecca and Richard
Bridport UK
“excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

we are regular visitors to the white horse and we have no complaints whatsoever. Rebecca is very welcoming and the food is excellent

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Brilliant food, even better service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

A group of us booked into the White Horse for a pre-wedding reception meal. We were not disappointed! The food (high end and top quality pub food menu) was excellent and no-one had any complaints. I had tiger prawns (best I've had) for starter followed by a steak that was beautifully cooked. I shared a lemon posset for dessert which really was very good. The service was top notch and playing with the new puppy in the garden rounded off a fantastic night. If we're in the area again, we will definitely be visiting for a second time!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere