“Blue sky is the right name” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Sky Hotel

You added Blue Sky Hotel to your Saves list
Blue Sky Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tankah Bay, Riviera Maya 5 km north of Tulum, Soliman Bay 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Soliman Bay
A TripAdvisor Member
“Blue sky is the right name”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2006

We stayed for 3 nights, overall very enjoyable. I agree with other reviewers that it is not a great value, perhaps a bit over-priced (otherwise I would have given it 5 stars), as is the restaurant. However, the rooms are beautifully decorated, the pool is very nice, and you can't beat the views of the blue sky and water. There were a few other visitors during our stay, but it is very private and serene. Bring water shoes to swim and enjoy the kayaks. The management company is extremely professional and reliable. A unique place to spend a few days on the coast, would definitely consider a return visit.

• Stayed April 2006

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2006

We loved the Blue Sky Hotel. In reference to the mixed reviews on service and price that others have posted you have to put in perspective it is Mexico. Mexico is not for everyone, and if it is your first time in the country it requires adaptation. I have been travelling all over Mexico for over 25 years, as mi padre lived and worked in the country for 10 years. I have travelled the Yucatan peninsula over the same time period. Comparing the quality of service, amenities, and food of today to 25 years ago, things have improved significantly.
The Blue Sky Hotel is basically like a private villa, no different than the far more expensive villas that line the Tankah bay area beach, which is very small and lightly developed. Since there is so much to do in the area, you will find yourselves being the only people there many times, which makes it feel like a private villa with a very nice private pool. The hotel itself is stunningly beautiful and the oceanfront just fantastic. As far as swimming, I have read other posts and I have to say, it is the ocean and it is a different beast every day. I nearly walked out the whole way to the reef one day, as it is only a few feet deep for 200 yards till it gets deep by the reef. Where the swimming can be good. But the main draw here is to put on the snorkel and see the brain coral and the surrounding second largest reef on the planet. I swam up to a turtle one day. He looked at me, I looked at him, then he swam away. Another day I nearly drowned out by the reef as the tide and current had completely changed. I swam out thinking it was the same, only to find myself in a rip tide in big waves by the reef. So the review that says swimming beyond the reef is good - beware, the tide and currents can change dramatically day to day. Price yes, maybe a little high on the rooms and food. But from what I can see Mexico isn't the bargain it used to be. And on top of that coming from America, I can honestly feel for the local people, and we tipped far above average, and tried to graciously share our wealth with them, as they have far less, and work far more.
If you have never been to Mexico you will learn the whole game, which starts from the top down, and if you intend on travelling in Mexico you have to play the game or it will frustrate you and you will not enjoy yourself. After returning home and walking down the supermarket aisles to see the quality and convenience we have as Americans only encourages me more to support the local Mexicans and the limited choices they have. We are returning in December and will probably return again. It is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful area with an abundance of nature, culture, good people, and good times to be found and explored if you have an open mind, and an eye for beauty.

Stayed April 2006
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2006

From reading other reviews, I'd say that the service has greatly improved. I found the restaurant operation very good. The prices are somehow high, as all of the surrounding options. Dealing with the agent was a good experience, as they bent over backwards to solve administrative issues.
We had a nice welcome, with the room beautifully decorated with flowers.
I agree with the reviews that point out that the beach is pretty bad for swimming. On the other hand, if you go to the 'good' beaches you will find, well, about a million people there. If you are looking for a more private experience, this seems the compromise you have to make. Still, it would be nice if this was indicated in the web site... as it will save the dissapointment that inevitably ensues.
On the other hand, the nearby cenote (maybe 50 yards away) provides excellent swimming as well as the hotel's pool.
The hotel itself is very charming, with beautiful construction and tasteful decoration. The view, spectacular.
All in all, the experience was good, but at 250 bucks a night, we felt it was a bit much. I think that 200 would have made me feel better.

• Stayed April 2006
JanMexico, Reservation Manager at Blue Sky Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2007
Blue Sky Hotel LOWERED their rates for the 2007 season - as per the the feed back of our guest comments on Trip-Advisors.

Blue Sky Hotel wants to thank the guests that stay at Blue Sky Hotel for taking the time to write re-views when they are back from their vacation. We have notice many kind compliments on our Hotel and really appreciate the feed back. Most importantly we noticed the many comments - that the hotel rates were slightly over priced - and on that note we lowered the rate for the 2007 season. We look forward to offer accommodation in Paradise at a reason rate.

Kind Regards

Janice Spate
Reservation Manager
Gary Adams
Blue Sky Hotel Owner
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2006

My boyfriend and I travel frequently and have stayed in upscale hotels from the Ritz in Kapalua to The Banyon in Key West. We are not easily pleased and have very high expectations. The Blue Sky turned out to be beyond our expectations.

We must admit the pothole ridden road leading to the hotel had us nervious upon our arrival. We both were thinking "oh no, what did we get ourselves into" but we were pleasantly surprised upon our arrival. It was well worth it. The hotel looks exactly like the pictures no exaggeration. It's more beautiful than the photos. The road is not "impassable" as stated in another review...but it is a rough road. Don't expect a fabulous "oh my god you're here" greeting...this is a working small hotel. The manager runs the restaurant and manages all the staff so he's busy. At times, you can find him sitting in the restaurant chatting but many times you have to seek him out. When you find him he is always friendly and helpful.

We loved the location...quiet, peaceful removed from the touristy area yet close enough to enjoy the sites such as the Mayan ruins (about 10 minutes south), Tullum resturants (play music outside on the beach on the weekends at a few of the hotels) or Playa Del Carmen for shopping.(Highly recommend a rental car).

The pool is right on the beach which is beautiful. The beach is not really for swimming (wear water shoes) but you can use the free hotel kayaks and kayak out beyond the reef to swim. Also the cenote right behind the hotel is beautiful for swimming. Because the hotel is so small there is no fight for beach or pool seating. You almost feel like you're there alone. There is a convenient small dive shop within walking distance for snorkel gear.

The restaurant food was good but it is pricey. The service is not awesome at the restaurant, but we have a different level of service expectations in Mexico which is why it probably didn't bother us. The restaurant is not good at making cocktails (except Margaritas) they tried to follow our instructions for a cosmopolitan but it didn't work....so they let us make our own..which was fun. YOu have the option to eat in the resturant or in your room. They sell full bottles of wine. It's very laid back which we loved. We don't mind the help yourself mentality at the hotel.

Our room was clean, spacious, and beautiful. We had the master bedroom on the top floor and the view is phenomenal. The master bedroom has 2 full baths and could easily accomodate 2 couples. The view from the balcony is gorgeous.

Upon booking the hotel...we received restaurant, rental car driving tips , etc and they all were very helpful.

All in all, this hotel gave us the the flexibility to enjoy the best of both worlds at our whim. Our only decision in the morings were whether to stay at the peaceful hotel for a day by the pool/beach or venture out and be a tourist. We would definitely go back to the Blue Sky Hotel.

• Stayed February 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2006

Four of us just returned from a week's stay; my partner and I shared the Junior Suite and our friends occupied the adjacent Standard room. Our stay was very relaxing and was just the antidote we needed to get away from chilly New England and our busy work lives.

Our experience with Blue Sky was lovely -- with a few quirks. Firstly, it is in a wonderful location; as you approach the hotel you see how close it is to the gorgeous Caribbean. The modest-sized pool is also in close proximity and was a relief to jump into after a day spent inland hiking to the large pyramid at Coba, one of the Mayan ruins within driving distance.

The staff was very friendly and provided good service. The food and beverages were good; I enjoyed the fruit, yogurt, and granola every morning. The margaritas were very good, and the shrimp dishes delicious. I found the meat dishes in the restaurant and at other restaurants in the area to be less than tender.

We found that the small size of the hotel made the experience personalized and we had nice interaction with other guests and the staff. By the middle of the week it started to feel like home, with staff welcoming us back from our snorkeling trips or nature visits. We wished we had asked the Manager for more tips on restaurants and shops.

If you are expecting efficient, immediate service, color TV, everything in perfect working order, this hotel may not be for you. We had two power outages while there, one that lasted about 12 hours, and that was unpleasant as we had no working water and so spent time elsewhere.

Despite the quirks, I would go back to Blue Sky in a heartbeat. I can get efficiency and TV and top-notch appliances at home. What I can't get is the breezes of Tankah Bay and the lapping of the ocean a stone's throw from my room, the warm Mexican hospitality, and the gorgeous flowers/gardens and beautiful colored birds that sit next to the restaurant. Muchas gracias!

• Stayed March 2006
Alexandria, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2005

My wife and I just returned from four days at the Blue Sky, which we had selected largely because of the glowing reviews it receives on this website and others. As all the of the reviewers have noted, the hotel is in a beautiful location, the room was large and comfortable, and the food was very tasty. Those are very important qualities, of course, but several other aspects of our stay left us disappointed.

First, no one ever greeted us when we arrived. We pulled up in our rental car at about 2 pm and walked into the empty front office. Someone soon emerged from the kitchen and responded to my Spanish-speaking wife's greeting with the following five-word welcome: "Can I see your voucher?" After glancing at it, he handed us a set of keys (the wrong one's it turned out), and then led us to the open door to our room. That's it. No welcome, no description of the hotel's services, no suggestions about things to do in the area. First impressions matter, and such a small hotel (only 6 rooms) should do better, especially for roughly $150 per night.

Second, the hotel restaurant has four-star prices but substandard service. We went to the restaurant for dinner our first evening and ordered two margaritas. As soon as the waiter put the drinks on the table we noticed that 10 or 20 little bugs were swimming in both of them. We alerted the waiter, he realized that someone had left a bottle open behind the bar, and they poured us two more from a fresh bottle. There's no problem with the service so far, but we were very annoyed that they charged us for the drinks all the same (US$ 7 each, by the way) and also had the temerity to add on a 15% tip. This just compounded our bad first impression.

Third, the bay beyond the beach is beautiful, but it's hardly swimmable. This fault, of course, is outside of the hotel's control, but guests should be aware of it before they arrive. The waters off the beach are full of sharp rocks, which makes swimming in the waves nearly impossible.

Fourth, and finally, the road between the highway and the hotel is nearly impassable. Probably because of the hurricane, the road is a parade of potholes, ditches, and puddles. You can avoid the pitfalls with careful and slow driving, which we tried to do. Unfortunately, we avoided some of the potholes by driving too close to the bushes on the side of the road, and we ended up scratching the paint on the rental car. This, of course, caused all sorts of headaches when we returned the car at the airport.

All in all, the hotel is pretty, but it's not quite the paradise that many reviewers describe.

• Stayed December 2005
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2005

I stayed here post Wilma between the 22nd and 24th November 2005. This hotel was supposed to be our little bit of luxury in our two week holiday but unfortunately it wasn't as luxurious as I had hoped. The first night we stayed in the standard room which was the best value for money, the decor was nice and the armchairs incredibly comfortable (after a week or so of sitting in hard restaurant chairs and hammocks). On the second night we stayed in the Master Suite and I was very disappointed, the room was quite dirty and not spectacular enough to justify the money we spent, I felt crest fallen and wished we had stayed in the standard room. The balcony area was nice and large but there were a lot of little black flies that got everywhere (maybe not a permanent feature, could be to do with hurricane).

The bay is nice, the sea is very calm and I really enjoyed Kayaking (complimentary at the Hotel). Also I recommend going to the Lucky Fish Dive Shop and going on a snorkel tour in the bay, we saw a manta ray and trumpet and angel fish amongst others. Also there is a point just in front of the Casa Cenote restaurant where an underground river comes out into the sea, LOTS of fish swim around here so its good for a snorkel.

The restaurant food is fantastic! The seafood pasta was SO good and the carbonara also superb. One annoying thing about the restaurant though was that it didn't open very early for lunch, one day we had to wait until two o'clock to get something to eat. Casa Cenote restaurant was shut while we were there so the only dining option we had was the restaurant at the hotel, we didn't have a hire car and I would say that if you stay at this hotel you should definitely get a car.

One thing I have to mention is the beautiful Husky they have at Blue Sky. I am quite scared of dogs and I don't normally go near them, but I loved this dog he was gorgeous!

All in all I would say it is a nice hotel that is slightly overpriced. It is a bit to secluded for my liking especially when you haven't got a hire car. The bay is nice but not a patch on Akumal or the beach at Tita Tulum.

Been to Blue Sky Hotel? Share your experiences!