“An Impressive Property...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Arrowtown
Queenstown, Otago, New Zealand
“An Impressive Property...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Millbrook Resort lives up to it's name in most aspects. Every inch of the resort has been tentatively cared for. The fitness centre and pool area are awesome and our room was top notch and serviced to a high standard. 5-stars.

The service was 3-star. This is the norm as hospo in NZ provides low pay rates which is reflected in the staff's lack of motivation and interest. Other owner-operated establishments go out of their way to provide a personal touch - say if you happen to mention you are on your honeymoon or maybe treating the wife to a romantic getaway. No love here though.

Overall, 4-stars. Great job, Millbrook.

Room Tip: You really can't go wrong here. Book on wotif.com for a good deal.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MillbrookResort, Hotel Operations Manager at Millbrook Resort, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you for your review regarding your Millbrook experience. I was very pleased to hear you appreciated and enjoyed our grounds, facilities and surroundings. Our talented and hardworking Greens-keeping, Landscaping and Maintenance teams do a fantastic job in attending to a resort spread over 500 acres. I was disappointed to read your comments regarding our staff and service. The majority of guests who have reviewed our resort in the past have complimented our staff for their passion and ability to deliver a superior five star service to all of our guests. Should you have specific feedback regarding the service provided by our team, I would invite you to contact me directly via email at martin.hamilton@millbrook.co.nz as I welcome the opportunity to discuss your feedback in person.

Martin Hamilton, Hotel Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Santa Monica, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I truly enjoyed all the nature around this property. There were so many friendly ducks as well as the occasional rabbit hanging around. The room I had was a little cottage with a fireplace. It was super cozy. It was nice to have radiant heating throughout the floors in the main room and bathroom. There was a nice big tub as well. The biggest challenge I had was communicating with staff. There were bath salts in the room when I checked in that I used the first night. They weren't replaced the 2nd day so I went to the front desk and asked. Still they were not replaced so I called and they brought soap instead of salt, even though I explained it was for soaking in the tub both times. At one of my dinners, a waitress did not speak English well and was having trouble with my order, drink and food. A man had taken my initial order and then she showed up asking if I was ready to order, when she really meant to ask for my drink order. She walked away for some time before realizing the confusion. Also I asked if it was possible to get an entree as a main dish and was told yes, yet was still brought the entree (half size). I had the concierge book a trip to Milford Sound, but was a bit misled in the amount of time the trip would take (13hours!) and ended up getting ill on the long coach ride and due to high winds was not able to fly back to the property. I ended up taking a taxi back to the hotel as soon as I was close enough, although a 10 minute ride is $60. Also, I was not asked what I would like for lunch (only if I would like lunch) so was brought a generic pre-packaged meal versus the tastier fresh options I learned about once I received the confirmation. I visited the spa on the morning of check out because I could not get in the 3 pervious days. This was a bit frustrating as I've stayed at higher rated spas and have not had this much challenge. I was also surprised that using any of the facilities at the spa were extra charges. Any other time I've visited a spa and had a treatment booked using the sauna/steam room is complimentary. I find it tacky to nickel and dime clientele. When I arrived for my appointment and after not a single person had come in for a massage which makes me think they are understaffed. Also, it was very chilly in the spa, especially for ladies in various states of undress. I also dined at the cafe and Japanese restaurant. The service at the cafe was very slow, didn't make a difference if it was crowded or not and my main dish was brought out before my entree. The food at all the restaurants was tasty though. I think this property needs to work on listening better and being more customer service oriented. The staff is friendly, but not paying attention, skipping details, or asking questions if they do not understand requests is very frustrating. What I loved the most about the place are the beds. I asked the front desk about them, but never got a follow up either as I was curious about the brand. I had never slept more comfortably. Lastly, I asked for a late check out by on hour so I would have time to change and gather my belongings after my massage. It was granted, but someone had to call the room to remind me. If I asked for it, I don't need a reminder. I find that to be very rude. If I were in the room after check out time then that's another story. I'm having trouble uploading photos, but will try later.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank for taking the time to review your recent Millbrook experience. We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed our accommodation standards as well as our beautiful natural surroundings. With regards to your comments regarding our Spa, I was sorry to hear you had difficulty arranging an appointment. Our Spa has recently been awarded “Best Luxury & Wellness Spa for Australia and Oceania” in the Luxury Hotel awards and is a very popular part of our operation. Availability can be limited over the busy periods such as Christmas and New Year and as such we advise guests at the time of reservation to book in advance to avoid disappointment. We have shared and reviewed your comments with the Millbrook team and thank you again for your feedback regarding your recent stay.

Martin Hamilton, Hotel Operations Manager
Invercargill, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Views are stunning and on-site restaurants are to die for (breakfast was average though), however this is where the 5 star rating stopped for us. We are regular travellers world wide and have a lot of experience with different star rated accommodation and this one didn't meet our expectations. Very pricey for what you get. Room was too cold and took a whole day to sort the temperature out and by this stage we had a cold nights sleep. The room was very clean however the amenities were nothing more than a 3 star rating. The bed however was to die for. Our main purpose for this particular stay was for total relaxation so having an on-site spa was a must. Reception indicates a spa package which I called straight away however fully booked for 2 days - perhaps communication between reception and spa needed. I had also emailed the spa 2 weeks in advance to book treatments but never head back either.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MillbrookResort, Hotel Operations Manager at Millbrook Resort, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear T G Miles,

Thank you for your review regarding your Millbrook experience. We were very pleased to hear your enjoyed the scenery and surrounds of the resort and also our on-site restaurants, the Millhouse, Hole in One café and Kobe Cuisine.

We were disappointed to hear that our accommodation was not to your liking. The design of all our rooms is in keeping with our French colonial theme, completed by one of New Zealand’s leading designers, Virginia Fisher. Virginia's style is well respected around New Zealand, so whilst this may not be to your taste, the design does reflect our French history and county setting and location.

With regards to issues you experienced with heating, please accept my personal apologies for any discomfort you experienced. All of our properties are heated with under-floor heating systems and changes in settings may take some time to adjust. Our Concierge team do have extra heaters onsite and I am sure they would have been happy to help with you settings and extra heating had they been informed of your discomfort.

I was sorry to hear that you were unable to experience our Spa product due to a lack of availability. It is a very popular product on the resort and during periods of high occupancy such as the Christmas period, availability can be limited. We do have a policy that ensures all emails are responded to within 24 hours, so we were disappointed to learn that you did not receive a response from your initial inquiry. Please be assured we are reviewing our internal procedures to ensure our communication standards are improved for future.

Thank you again for your review. As we are constantly striving to provide a world class resort product complemented with superior five star service we appreciate your feedback and are taking steps to improve our service for future.

Martin Hamilton
Hotel Operations Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Recently visited Millbrook to play golf with a travelling group and was overwhelmed with the location, course layout and general 'feel' of this resort. The course itself is tough and requires concentration and thought...definitely not for 'blasting away' but rather for patience and ,as mentioned, concentration.
Found the on course signage rather confusing but that is a minor point.
clubhouse facilities and proshop were well appointed and the service from everyone was excellent. A number of our group had stayed previously in the villas...and my wife and I decided that this will definitely be on our return list.
First rate.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Philippo A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Millbrook experience. It was very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed the location and scenery of the resort and also the quality of the Golf course. The “feel” of Millbrook as your describe it, is something pretty special and is something that is quite hard to articulate, but we are glad you were able to acknowledge and appreciate it. The team were also pleased to hear you appreciated their service. Nice to know you are looking to return and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Millbrook in the near future.

Martin Hamilton
Hotel Operations Manager
Franz Josef, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

This is a five star resort, you want a lift into town? Sure. You want a lift to you friends villa? No problems mam! Truly beautiful location. Food was amazing - even at the wedding! Kobe Japanese was delicous and quite (surprisingly) well-priced. The spa was expensive but in such a tranquil location with such wonderful staff you dont mind paying a bit extra. The only issue we had during our stay was the fact that this a working first class golf resort and with that comes a lot of ground maintenance - we seemed to be surrounded by weddeaters and mowers. The resort was preparing for a big tournament and our stsy was midweek so we could understand.

Perfect location for the wedding on the petanque court and the Millhouse. Would recommend this location to anyone - especially golfers!!!! Beautiful location and top quality service - everyone was friendly and nothing was too much trouble

Room Tip: We stayed in the village inn suites but if you have a group the Mews were very nice
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
MillbrookResort, Hotel Operations Manager at Millbrook Resort, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear AllyBlack80,
Thank you for taking the time to share your Millbrook experience. It was very nice to hear you enjoyed the Wedding and your stay on the resort. From your Spa treatments through to your dining experiences, it was great to hear you were able to enjoy a lot of what is on offer at Millbrook. As you have mentioned Millbrook is a popular place for Weddings. With our beautiful grounds, varied accommodation, on site Spa and salon, unique venues and quality of restaurants, not to mention the service provided by our team, we like to think we can offer a Wedding experience to remember. Thank you again for your review, I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Millbrook in the not too distant future.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in January 2012. The rooms were excellent and the shuttle was the best - taking us to/from main part of Queenstown everyday to do our adventure tours. We did not play golf so I can't rate the golf course, but I liked the location since we were a little outside of town and felt somewhat "remote", but we were close enough to town that it was a short shuttle ride over.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Natbrat185,
Thank your sharing your Millbrook experience. Very nice to hear you enjoyed the beauty, peace and tranquility of our location but when the desire to experience Queenstown or Arrowtown arose you were able to enjoy our complimentary transport to get there. it was very pleasing to hear you enjoyed your time with us. Merry Christmas and best wishes from the Millbrook team.
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Picture this. Driving down an impressive 150yr oak tree lined passage with bluebells swaying gently in the spring breeze, while under the impressive treble cone mountains. A plush green 500acre estate known as Millbrook stands proud.
Quality and picturesque scenery are entwined in the proud historic setting of Arrowtown where the French brothers birthed a vision for a wheat farm to supply the growing pioneer market.
Time trek to the modern era where the Japanese IT giant has taken, since 1987 Millbrook Resort to unprecedented levels of luxury, varied facilities and Asian boutique gardens. Here east meets west in food, cherry blossom, cascading waterways and ye olde game of St Andrews!
My wife and I booked for two nights at a modest fairway 80m2 room. A deal at $400 per night with facilities such as golf, spas, fitness centre and mountain biking as part of the course. The giant extra king was massive where we almost needed a megaphone to communicate across the passage! The attention to detail was second to none and the adoring of the finest cotton robes were delightful. The en suite was roomy and clean with French connection bath products. Large flat screen TVs, a healthy bar, a gas fire at the touch of a button and views everywhere. The double glazing ensured a good nights sleep and for the night owls wifi is free.
Millbrook is teaming with wildlife and it is like going back in time to see animals fearless of human disturbance.
The on-site dining is spectacular with waiters concurring your selections. The first night we dined at The Millhouse, with a rustic stone clad fire roaring to counter the southerly rearing it ugly head. It was an idyllic and inviting retreat while viewing the original mill wheel. The three course European meal was presented with panache and taste buds craved for more delicate chef flavours. Wine suitably matched the fine dining experience, and you need to try the fine young drinking Mondillo Pinot Noir 2009. Desserts were out of this world for creativity and flavour matchings.
After a morning stroll around the expansive grounds we had a day in the hills. Queenstown is unique and bursting with life in November and it is truly a beautiful spectacle this time of year.
After a wonderful soak in the spa baths set amongst tussocks and spring bird life, my wife and I got ready for an extravaganza of taste bud Asian delight at the on-site Japanese restaurant. This was what one would expect if being in Japan, with freshness of sea food and beef and sauces to tantalize and complement quality ingredients. This is a must dine in with a bottle of asahi beer.
In the morning, the a la carte menu at The Clubhouse, was top notch to start the day off with a flat white and eggs royale. The staff service here and everywhere at the resort is just incredibly friendly, knowledgable and patient with your requests - well done.
On leaving I thought I might as well invest in one of the houses on site and currently I am looking into this as it is world class and has certainly forged itself into the top 10 resorts in the world. Well done Millbrook we will be back.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Ed T,
Wow! Thank you for taking the time to share your Millbrook experience in amazing detail. You have created a beautiful picture of your time on the resort and we were very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. From enjoying our all of our restaurants to spacious grounds, it was great to hear you were able to experience a lot of what Millbrook has to offer. Your praise of placing us in the top ten resorts in the world is grand indeed and very much appreciated by the Millbrook team as we strive to provide a World Class resort complimented with friendly and professional, kiwi service. Nice to know that you are now interested in joining the Millbrook family through purchasing property and membership. Please do not hesitate to contact our team for any further assistance. Sounds like we will be seeing more of you, and we certainly look forward to welcoming back.
Best regards,

Been to Millbrook Resort? Share your experiences!