“Fantastic customer service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barkly Homestead

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tennant Creek
Barkly Homestead
You added Barkly Homestead to your Saves list
Corner of Barkly & Tablelands Highways | Barkly Tablelands, Tennant Creek, Northern Territory 0862, Australia   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Fantastic customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

I booked in advance and found from the booking reservation to check out, customer service was fantastic. Staff were very friendly and helpful. I stayed in a motel room which was clean, amenities were good and we had a good night sleep. The dinner and breakfast was cooked quickly, good quality and portion sizes.
I was very happy with my stay here and would recommend the homestead for a rest stop after a long day driving.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Andrew M, Manager at Barkly Homestead, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Thank you for your kind review and i am very glad you enjoyed your stay here. I will pass on your comments to the staff as they rarely get any compliments. We hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Thank you for providing an oasis for me and my four legged friend on our journey from Darwin to Brisbane. Nice clean rooms, comfortable beds, very very friendly and helpful staff & manager. I didn't use the pool or eat as we were way to tired but it looked very welcoming

• Stayed February 2014
Andrew M, Manager at Barkly Homestead, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Thank you for your review. We hope you stay again soon and have time to enjoy our bar and grill.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Such a great place to rest, refuel and relax when you're on the road. The cabin was fresh, cool and comfortable and all meals were fantastic. Service was friendly and efficient from check in to departure. Will definitely be stopping in again.

• Stayed February 2014
Andrew M, Manager at Barkly Homestead, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Thank you for your kind review. We look forward to seeing you again.
Alice Springs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

As stated previously the accommodation is fairly expensive ($170 for the night) but our motel room was cooled well by the split system aircon, beds were good and shower was very nice. I understand the price as the overheads are massive in a place like this. The kids and I enjoyed the pool, although a comment was made that is was saltier than salt. If a bit of water dripped in your eye it stung like mad so you struggled to put your head under. The place is generally in very good condition, I realise how hard it is to keep the gardens and facilities tidy in this type of location after having lived at remote and dusty places in the past.
We all ate in the bar/restaurant in the evening. The food was average pub grub and priced accordingly. The only problem I had with it was that there was only one dining area which was near the bar and video machines. Several dirty, smelly and improperly dressed people were playing the machines which was annoying when waiting to and eating a meal. I know that the place used to have a dining room away from the bar and perhaps this could be reinstated. I would stay at Barkly again if the standards of the accom stay the same.

Room Tip: Motel room was good, unsure about the cabins.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Andrew M, Manager at Barkly Homestead, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Thank you fro reviewing our property. I am glad you enjoyed the majority of your stay. I will admit that at times the pool can be very salty. We have to treat our water with a salt water softener to minimise the damage hard water can do to the plumbing. In addition to this chlorine is made with salt being put into the pool so you must have had both at the time. Lastly, since your last stay we have opened the dining room and bar up with bi-fold doors so there is much more room for family friendly dining. We hope to see you again.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed here as an alternative to Mount Isa on the way from Sydney to Darwin. We'd driven from Winton a 10 hour day so we did not camp although that was available. We had a cabin that was clean and airconditioned (aircon a bit noisy because it's a diesel genny but that's OK). Staff were friendly and fun. Dinner was very nice (best steak sandwich my husband has ever had), brekkie wasn't that great especially for the money though. But it was very pleasant and my 10 year old had a close up view of road trains parked overnight and their iconic drivers in the bar! I like the huge Brahmin bull that patrolled the grass outside our cabin. The grounds were pretty and well kept and although we didn't use it there is a pool available 24 hours! It is pricey there but they acknowledge that... it's tough to run something so remote cheaply. The diesel was more than in big towns but we've paid more in remote places (Yulara for instance). I would definitely stay there again if we were doing the same trip and we've recommended it to others as Mount Isa is a no-no for camping!.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Toowoomba, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Never stay there again, for a start very pricey. The cabin was very hot. Wasn't very good cabin. The blinds were broken, shower the water went every where. I read some peoples reviews on there, and they said they were great. ( where were they staying? ) doesn't sound like the same one that we stayed at. Not worth the price they asked for, we have stay at a lot of places much cheaper and a lot better.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew M, Manager at Barkly Homestead, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
It seems your review is a little different to the majority of reviews we have had and are getting. Staying in January would have been hot. It did exceed 50 degrees celcius during our wet season. I don't think $140 for an ensuite cabin is too expensive considering how remote we are. I will say the timber Venetian blinds are a little tatty and will be replaced ASAP. I think most trip adviser readers will see other reviews and note your "terrible" review for our property is grossly misleading and unfair. I don't think too many people would be taking this review too seriously.
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

An amazing little spot. Green grass lawns outside the homestead and cabins are indicative of the effort put into making this stop as welcoming and refreshing as possible.

Small and (when we stopped in the dry season) quiet, and very remote, Barkly homestead is also - as they recognise - not inexpensive. But compared to the other options for stopping, it's well worth the expense.

Our cabin had the air-con turned on for us prior to arrival. Not generously sized, but sufficient with a car park handily close to the door.

The swimming pool was big enough for a dip, and shaded in the afternoon.

Stayed January 2014

Been to Barkly Homestead? Share your experiences!