“DO NOT STAY HERE..” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Barkly Homestead

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tennant Creek
Barkly Homestead
Barkly Highway, Tennant Creek, Northern Territory 0862, Australia   |
Brisbane, Australia
“DO NOT STAY HERE..”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Hi, my granddaughter & 2 weeks ago done Mission Beach to Darwin. We stayed at
Barkly Homestead...I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN, I had stayed here before & found it a clean & comfortable place to stay with a LOT of travelers around, checked in at 2pm told room 6...key opened the door...settled in...3hrs later with my teenage granddaughter laying comfortable on the bed watching TV...... a man enters our room 'USING A KEY'...he says oh sorry I'm in room 6....told him I was told room 6 looked at my key it was ROOM 9.....he was with another booked in a different room ALL KEYS FITTED ALL ROOMS....(we slept using a flimsy chain on the door').in the morning I asked to speak to management......mmmmm.... Andrew was the person I spoke to, asked for a last name was sworn at...I pointed out the key situation the response was so what u have a deadbolt use it, at $50 a lock I'm not gonna change them..... I said what about when u r not in your room you have a duty of care... he said 'what are u gonna do report me to Consumer Affairs..I said I am a Travel Consultant...I could'nt believe his attitude and fowl language, his response was 'TELL YOUR CUSTOMERS I don't care we are booked out every night so get out........This was unbelievable, this guy has a Duty Of Care for his customers. I paid $140 for the room & had just spent $100 on fuel.......plus the meals & drinks the night before which are very pricey.
As far as Barklys they have an advantage due to being the only accommodation for kms...I would rather go another 100 or so kms & then do an extra 25km in & out of Tennant Creek than give them another cent let alone my patronage.... This man showed no respect for his customers

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Andrew M, Manager at Barkly Homestead, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
I was waiting for a review from you as I remember you clearly. Your attitide to my staff and my customers was inexcusable and you could not have been helped no matter how we tried. You seemed to think threatening me as being a travel agent who would tell everyone not to stop here would worry us. Your threats were unjustified and not called for. It was you who went to the wrong room despite No 6 being clearly stated on you key. At the time I was not aware key 9 opened room 6. You did not seem to care or notice that we had spent a huge amount of money installing complete new doors and locks. Actually you had nothing nice to say. What you wanted was money back for a perfectly good room. ANYTHING CAN BE FIXED IF YOU SPEAK TO PEOPLE WITH RESPECT.

If I was rude to you it was well deserved as we shouldn't have to put up with people like you - no one should. I suggest you stay elsewhere as like i said at the time we are booked every night with plenty of repeat customers who appreciate how hard we are trying to make this a nice stop.

It is unfortunate that on Trip Advisor you always here the bad and rarely the good reviews. It gives people like you a voice to bad mouth a business when you have little if anything to complain about.

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Mount Isa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stopped at the Barkly Homestead on our way to Alice, we had a wonderful lunch and the drinks were very cold.

So on our way back we made the decision to stop the night. I rang the night before to make a booking.

That went well, I booked with my credit card as you do at hotels and motels.

We arrived and i went in the get the key and to my shock my credit cards detail were written down in a spiral note book left on the counter and so were a hundred or so other peoples detail. When I asked if my detail would be destroyed or left in the book I was told by a very rude English women that was normal for all place to have credit card of people staying in hotels and motels.

When I tried to talk to her about leaving them in a note book on the counter she walked away. I requested my credit card details be destroyed and they could check the room before we left but no one would listen.....

So it is up to you I WOULD NOT STOP THERE AGAIN........but the food was good and drinks were cold....

Room Tip: don't give them your credit card number......they have a lot of transient staff and a lot of cus...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew M, Manager at Barkly Homestead, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thankyou for reviewing our business. I am disappointed you would choose not to stay with us again. If you had an issue that you could not resolve with the front of house staff you could have asked for management and I would have been more than happy to assist you. I can assure you that credit card details are NOT kept on the front counter or beyond the date of depature. We do not like having to take credit card details at all, however unfortunately we have to. Yes, we have very transient staff and this does cause us a great deal of headaches with training, customer service etc, however we have never ever had any customer details misused in any way, and I would not expect to in the future. I can't stress enough that customers details are not kept on the front counter. It is unfortunate that you felt you had to give us such a poor review based on this issue and I wish I had the opportunity to resolve the issue before you left.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have stayed at this homestead 4 times now over the last 8years. Always in a motel room. It's great to see there are now cabins and the motel rooms have been freshened up as well. Just a few things I will pick on, only because i'll most likley be back at some point. Number 1... the floor in the motel rooms are very very very!!! DIRTY. My feet where black after walking around, not a good look and very annoying. number 2... The english girls need more customer service, they just look like they dont want to be there, when I see that as a paying customer it puts me off and makes my stay not the best. number 3... Now you could have the rooms a little cheaper. Really, I know your in the middle of no mans land, but that's what I call "highway robbery". number 4... Same with the food prices, yes you have to get it here, but like I said "highway robbery"! Well that's it... please take all this on board. Dont be money hungry, it's something a cant stand. And proberly and lot more people.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thankyou for your review. We pride ourself on cleanliness and I am geuinley shocked to find you found the floor dirty. They are vacuumed and mopped everyday so this should not have occurred. Secondly staffing is an issue here being so remote. We do our best to find and train our staff so our customer service standards are maintained. Lastly I found your "highway robbery" and "money hungry" comments a little insulting. Our rooms are all brand new and at $140 twin share for a business that is in the middle of nowhere I think we are very resonable. We are booked every night so if anything we could charge more. Our meals range from $10 for a hamburger to $30 for a rib eye steak, so very rarely do we get anyone complain about our food prices. We do our best to keep prices resonable which is very hard in such a remote position where overheads are huge. We hope to see you again.
Warrnambool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

An outstanding roadhouse accommodation facility. Had booked a cabin on the way back from Darwin to MT Isa not wanting to stay at Threeways roadhouse after the negitive comments. It was well worth the extra 185km. For a roadhouse in the middle of nowhere it had a great cabin, camping area and the pool looked inviting the restaurant and shop looked modern in keeping with the outback and the food was great. The surroundings were nice and we spent some time sitting on the balcony watching the wild bulls crossing the road out of the scrub to drink from the dribbling sprinkler.I could say nothing negitive about it and wished I had the time to stay another night to chill out. To the owners and manager, well done.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such a nice review. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay so much and hope to see you again.
Molong, NSW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Arrived around 2pm and had the pick of all the shady van sites. A great set up and great location. Bathroom facilites were good however having to use a key to unlock the door all the time was 'overkill'. The bird life was great and although the sites filled up really quickly after 4pm it was still very quiet. There was a great choice of shady sites available. A welcome relief from the dust and the heat. A true oasis!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing our caravan park. I understand it is annoying having to use the key to open the amenities all the time. Unfortunately we have to have a key for our paying customers as there are travellers who make themselves at home without checking in. We do this to maintain a high standard for our paying customers. We hope you enjoyed the rest of the stay and hope to see you again.
Broome, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

A good layout for camping, nice shady and grassy area and good bathroom block. Roadhouse restaurant and bar were good. Only thing missing for me was a camp kitchen - particularly a fridge, but I guess places like this want you to depend on them for food and drinks. I carried my own, just had no way of keeping things cold after my ice ran out.

• Stayed September 2012
Andrew M, Manager at Barkly Homestead, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We do have an undercover camp kitchen with electric bbq, however no fridge. This is something we may look at for the future. Places like ours, and I am sure all businesses want their customers to spend money with them in their restaurants and bar as that is how we stay in business, however we do understand people do travel on a budget. We do our best to cater for everyone and appreciate all of our customers support. We hope you choose to stay with us again.
Byron Bay, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

My husband and I decided to stop here on the way from Lawn Hill national park to Darwin and are SO glad we did. When we arrived we realised we had a flat tyre and Tom (who runs Barkly with his 2 brothers - it's a family business) took a whole hour to help us change the tyre and repair the hole - even bringing over his forklift so we didn't need to use our exhaust jack. He is incredibly lovely and has some amazing stories about the area and it's history. We really enjoyed having some beers with him after watching the footy in the bar (which has a great vibe).

We stayed in a cabin and it was by far the best we've seen in remote Qld/ NT. New, clean, air-conditioned, great little fridge/ freezer, lots of power points to charge laptops & phones, great bathroom, gorgeous balcony out front with chairs and table. The bed was new and comfortable and we had a great sleep.

The food at the restaurant was outstanding - both dinner and breakfast - and very well priced considering how expensive it is to get things brought out here. Backpacker staff were really friendly and helpful and the bar felt like home away from home.

Lots of trees around - and even grass, which we weren't expecting. Huge congratulations to Tom and his brothers for creating such a fantastic place for travellers. We can't speak highly enough about this place!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Barkly Homestead? Share your experiences!