“worth the trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kata Tjuta (The Olgas)

Kata Tjuta (The Olgas)
Kata Tjuta Small Group Tour
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Hiking, Walking
More attraction details
Owner description: Kata Tjuta is Pitjantjatjara meaning ‘many heads’. This spectacular landform lies about 50 kilometres drive from Uluru and Yulara. This area is an Anangu men’s site and is sacred under Tjukurpa(traditional law). Everyone is welcome and encouraged to visit this place but as with all areas of the park, please stay on the marked tracks.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
melbourne, australia
9 attraction reviews
“worth the trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I think Kata Tjuta is very interesting than Uluru. All the domes are amazing and is well worth spending the time there.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
USA
19 attraction reviews
“Amazing hike! Gorgeous views!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We did the Valley of the Winds hike; I liked this more than Uluru. Tip: start the hike before sunrise so that you are amidst the rocks during sunrise (vs. going to the viewing area then hiking). The Valley of the Winds walk isn't too rough - there are stairs to climb and at one pt you have to semi-crawl up a flat slanted rock (you can walk up but may have to put your hands down), but if you are fit you should not have a problem with this. We started before sunrise so it was uncrowded and nice and cool. It took us about 3 hours (with stops) - near the end of the hike it was getting hotter so I was glad we started early. My favorite part of the walk was up to right before the 2nd lookout (you could walk to this and then turn around). After this the scenery was still amazing but there were more people around and it was getting hotter and you were more out in the open vs between rocks so the sun was beating down on you.

Tip: bring a fly net (you wear over your brimmed hat - can buy in the grocery store at the resort) - as it is annoying to walk and have flies land directly on your face.

Visited November 2012
Melbourne, Australia
29 attraction reviews
“Hard Walking but Worth It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Like Uluru its a true wonder just to view Kata Tjuta from the many vantage points enroute. We took the easier option of taking the shorter walk (Walpa Gorge) into the area but it was a really hot day which made it a difficult walk in and out. None the less it was worth it and the tour provided plenty of time so that we could take our time and not have to rush. I guess the main difference with Kata Tjuta is that you get to walk into the canyon and be surrounded by the majesty of it all rather than skirting the edge like at Uluru. The thing to remember if your trip is short is that you have seen Uluru you have not seen Kata Tjuta and vice versa, you have to see them both.

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
32 attraction reviews
“I Can't Believe I was There :D”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Before planning for our 5-day trip to The Red Centre, Australia, in April 2012 - I've only seen pictures of Uluru, not knowing anything about Central Australia. After reading about Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, only then I found out that these two are the most important places there.

I love both Uluru and Kata Tjuta and I will not compare these two. Kata Tjuta is bigger than Uluru in terms of size though and once you're in Uluru, you have to visit Kata Tjuta as well.

My friend and I paid less than AUD95 for a return transfer to Kata Tjuta and sunset in Uluru (entrance fee not included in this fee). Seeing Kata Tjuta from afar with our very own eyes was already awe-inspiring, and the drive towards Kata Tjuta was even more breathtaking.

At 3.30 pm - we were first picked up from our hostel and were sent to Kata Tjuta Outlook. The view of the majestic Kata Tjuta was just mesmerizing and the 10 minutes' time given to us to walk to and from the lookout to take pictures was clearly not enough. The view was just so beautiful - even at 40 degrees, we felt like we could spend the whole afternoon there :D

We were later dropped off at the starting point of the self-guided Walpa Gorge Walk (at 4.00 pm) - which took about 1 hour. It was 40 degrees or so, the wind was quite strong - at some point, I thought I might not be able to finish the walk. But I stopped a few times, didn't want to push myself - and it was all right after each time I stopped. Along the way you'll get to see how small you are compared to this huge red rock; it was summer, the driest season, when I was there - and I was actually surprised to see a lot of trees and shrubs along the way.

The view - you have to do the walk yourself to understand how words like "beautiful" and "stunning" are just not precise enough to describe the whole landscape and beauty of Kata Tjuta. If people say they'd come again to visit the Red Center, it's truly understandable. I would. And I can't believe I was actually there. :D

A note to you guys: bring at least 2 liters of water, wear a hat, shades, put on plenty of sunscreen lotion and you must bring your camera. :D

Melbourne, Australia
“Kata Tjuta -It doesn't get any better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Walk the Valley of the Winds - just amazing. It can be hot hard walking, & you need to carry plenty of water, but the rewards are extraordinary views that simply don't exist anywhere else.
If walking is not your thing you will miss the very best but even just visiting & looking from the car is worthwhile.

Visited October 2012