“Hmmmmm” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Uluru

Uluru
Red Centre Way, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Northern Territory, Australia (Formerly Ayers Rock)
08-8956-1128
Website
Improve this listing
Visit Uluru like an insider
Top Rated
$132*
and up
Alice Springs to Uluru (Ayers Rock) One Way...
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Biking, Hiking, Watching sunrise/sunset
More attraction details
Owner description: Palya! Welcome to Anangu land. Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park is Aboriginal land. It is jointly managed by its traditional owners Anangu and Parks Australia. The park is recognised by UNESCO as a World Heritage site for its natural and cultural values. The spectacular rock formations and surrounding sand plains provide rare habitats for an incredible variety of plants and animals. Anangu invite you to visit Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park to learn more about their land, beliefs and culture.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Adelaide, Australia
15 attraction reviews
“Hmmmmm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Well, honestly??
It was actually kind of disappointing. I made the trip with two German backpackers and I had every intention of climbing 'The Rock', as did they. Now, I am not going to get into a debate over the whole ''Should I climb the rock or not'' issue. It was my decision to climb it and I cannot say that I was disappointed with my decision.

During our visit of two days to the area we managed to see the early sunrise, do the Mala walk, complete the 7 km hike around The Olga’s, stop at the Olga’s viewing area, visit the cultural centre (twice), climb the rock itself, view the sunset, see another sunrise the following day and complete the 10km base walk. After that we went to Kings Canyon.
The basic consensus afterwards from the three of us rated the Ayers Rock climb as the best experience, with Kings Canyon a VERY close second. The Olga's came in third and the remainder of the Ayers Rock activities last place.
In all honesty, if I had NOT climbed Ayers Rock I would have given the Ayers Rock experience the big thumbs down.
I highly recommend climbing Ayers Rock, it was sensational, the highlight of the National Park actually.

A lot of people (mostly those on internet forums that indicated they didn't climb the rock for cultural respect reasons) claim that the base walk is far superior to actually climbing the rock itself. I have no idea how they can make this comparison if they haven't actually climbed it, but as I have done both I can safely say that climbing the rock is a much better experience than the base walk (in my opinion). The base walk is very long and can be a bit boring at times, particularly when you are on the portion of the walk that is furtherest from the rock. There are a lot of sacred areas that you are not allowed to take photos (and these areas usually have the more interesting aspects that would be worth taking a photo of) so that puts a bit of a dampener on things too.

If you are not up for the challenge of a 10km walk then the Mala walk is probably one of the best walks to go on. It is an easy walk, has interesting things to look at, and on 90% of the walk photos ARE permitted. If you get there at 8am you can join the ranger guided tour along the Mala walk to learn more.

All in all, I am not saying that the visit to Ayers Rock was terrible, but it wasn't anywhere as spectacular as Kings Canyon. Had I not been luckily enough to climb the rock (because of the climb being closed) I would have left the National Park feeling a bit disappointed. In fact, if they do ban the climb in the future and I am asked if it is worth going for the other things I would probably say, ''Nah, not really, give it a miss''.

Happy travels!!
Oh, and expect to pay a huge fee to enter the National Park - As at April 2013 it was $25 PER PERSON (Not per car like other NP's). The pass does last three days, but not overly handy for those that just want a day visit. You cannot buy a one day, or two day, pass. You must pay for all three days.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Hobart, Australia
21 attraction reviews
“Beautiful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Missed the climb when I was 5 and missed again 38 years later due to wind. Amazing tho to touch her again and say hello. She has bested me yet again and the climb seems not so important anymore. The sunset was beautiful, the tour was definitely worth it and next time I will fly in on a weekend, hire a car and travel around at my leisure now I have the knowledge and info.

Visited May 2013
Sydney, Australia
21 attraction reviews
“Unexpected beauty.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I loved Uluru- Kata Tjuta national park. I am an oldish Australian who has travelled fairly extensively in Australia but had never made it out to this area. What I was not expecting was the sheer beauty of the area. It may be that an appreciation of this type of landscape is an Australian thing but the colours are just gorgeous - the deep blue of the sky, the red dirt and the sage green and silver vegetation. Even without looking at the main attractions it called to me. I often thought I was living in a Fred Williams world.
We walked the base walk one day. I am not sure that I particularly recommend that, especially if you are short of time as you can get a pretty good view all round from a car.You can do short walks to the most interesting bits. Much more varied and interesting were the walks in Kata Tjuta even though the actual walking tracks were much harder on the ankles due to many loose stones. We visited Uluru at sunset one night and Kata Tjuta the next and were treated to a panoramic technicolour sunset at Kata Tjuta. It certainly helped to have a car as we were not restricted to commercial tours. Yes, the entrance fee at $25 a head is pretty steep. Even though it last 3 days I suspect many people do not get to take advantage of this time frame. Now if only someone could fix the flies........

Ferndown, United Kingdom
35 attraction reviews
“So atmospheric”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We went with SEIT Outback Australia- a small group trip. There were 11 of us. The guides knowledge and attention to detail was second to none. The location for the sunset visit was not amongst the dozens of coaches but on the opposite side of Uluru so you actually saw the sunset as well as the changing colours of the rocks.

Paris, France
“Evening sunset tour”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

A tour to see the sunset was an expensive way to have cocktails and canapes which were part of the tour. It was interesting to see the different colors of the rock but 90 minutes rock watching was maybe effected by passing the time away with the wine consumed - I would recommend car rental so at least you could see Uluru from different angles.at a cheaper price especially if you come with your own wine.
Careful - car rentals were fully booked so need yo reserve in advance.

Visited March 2013