Do not expect an idyllic park experience
Arriving at the Gagudju Crocodile Holiday Inn was a surprise. It’s in a little village surrounded by a block of shops, a bakery (which offers outstanding bread – highly recommend it for breakfast), some grass and a few houses. If you are expecting to stay near the beautiful parkland, in an idyllic surrounding that offers some nice walks then you need to stay elsewhere – In my case I would have preferred to stay at the Kakadu Lodge and Caravan park which ticks those boxes.
The rooms are like any holiday Inn. Flat screen TV, good sized rooms, the odd lamb not working here and there, comfortable beds, clean. The bathrooms are dated and would require to be renovated but all up ok.
The restaurant itself looks rather uninviting and I admit I walked around the whole village to find an alternative. However the hotel is the only restaurant / pub / gathering place in town. The menu looked good however I was taken aback by the smells coming from the buffet and choose to have that instead. Thank goodness I did. What a nice surprise. From all the buffets I’ve had over the years, this one was outstanding. The selection of produce and how it was cooked was amazing. The lamb was perfectly seasoned and pink, the chicken was tender, the vegetables weren’t overcooked (as they so often are), the fish was full of flavour the salad was so fresh one would have thought they grow it in the back yard and the deserts weren’t the usual cheap selection. All up, the highlight of staying at the hotel was the buffet. Highly recommend eating there.
Would I return: most likely not.
- Also Known As:
- Gagudju Crocodile Holiday Hotel
- Gagudju Crocodile Holiday Hotel Kakadu National Park
- Holiday Inn Gagudju Crocodile
- Holiday Inn Kakadu National Park
- Kakadu National Park Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- From the marble foyer to the air-conditioned guest rooms, Gagudju Crocodile Holiday Inn is a cool retreat in the midst of Kakadu National Park s wilderness. This uniquely shaped hotel, just 2 hours drive from Darwin, is the ideal base to explore Ubirr and Nourlangie rock art galleries and view the towering sandstone escarpment of Arnhem Land. The hotel offers 110 guest rooms making the shape of a crocodile which overlook's a central shaded courtyard and swimming pool. Award winning Escarpment Restaurant offers tastes of Kakadu with both buffet and a la carte options available. Gagudju Crocodile Holiday Inn also has an Indigenous art gallery showcasing works from the Kakadu and Arnhem region. Guests have access to a 9-hole golf course, Olympic-size pool, and tennis courts at neighbouring Jabiru Township. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, IHG, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Venere so you can book your Gagudju Crocodile Holiday Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.