“third time the charm” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto, Canada
“third time the charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

What a great time. We had previously been at the Riu, but this year we upgraded to the palace. We booked the Jacuzzi suite, (honeymooners be sure to request the suite not by the elevator for privacy!), and we had a great time. Its beautiful and very well maintained resort. The service was great, and it being our engagement, they treated us very well, with comp champagne, and special service at the ala carte restaurants
We usually book all our tours through Geckotico tours, aka " the guys with the green shirts" on the beach, and in our opinion are the only way to do excursions. We have done everything from deep seA fishing, to zip lining, and they do their best to makes it perfect. Over the past three times we have visited, they give us the most educational, personal and private tours possible. Big shout
Outs to Roberto, Geiner, Jose li & the boys for the awesome service, and the awesome times. My fiancee is now "Chris, brother from another mother". If you want to really see the country, book with them, as we will next year! PURA VIDA!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited the Riu Guanacaste from Oct 15 - Oct 22, 2013 and had a great time. I wanted to write an informative review so that I could help others with info that would have benefited ppl like us thinking about the Riu. Bullets make this easy to read :)

About us: I'm 31 yrs old and my bf is a little older. He doesn't drink, I drink occasionally. We have no kids. We are active gym goers who lift weights 5x per week. I am Colombian and grew up in NYC so I speak Spanish. My bf is from Ohio and only speaks English. We live in San Francisco and are spoiled with amazing food choices. I'm an HR Mgr and my bf is in Motorcycle sales. We had never been to a resort. I prefer cultural immersion, but we wanted a relaxing vaca where all I needed to do was lay out and eat and learn about the culture :) We booked our flight, hotel and airport shuttle service altogether via Bookit.com

1. We arrived at the airport and there was a guy standing at the door with my name on it for our shuttle. We were the only passengers and it took 40 minutes to get to the hotel. The shuttle was nice, in great condition and had a/c. Super smooth ride.
2. Check in was easy. They explained in detail where everything was in the hotel. I speak Spanish but my bf does not so language wasn't a problem for us. However - I noticed that all hotel staff assume you speak English only and so most of them spoke a decent amount of English. The front desk ppl were totally bilingual as was management.
3. The hotel and rooms are SPOTLESS and you will see the staff cleaning EVERYWHERE CONSTANTLY.
4. We had Jr. Garden Suite. We had a little balcony and kept the door open 24/7 - I wanted to wake up to the animal noises and boy did we. It was amazing. Birds, monkeys etc. I loved it. We thought of maybe switching to the ocean view to change it up, but bc of the rainy season, I don't think we were missing out on any crazy beautiful sunsets. I don't regret a thing.
5. Amenities in the room: the hair dryer is one of the small mounted standard hotel ones. It got the job done. Nothing fancy. There was an iron and ironing board and hangars in the closet. As long as you hang the tag on the door for room cleaning, they would give you all new towels. There is soap, lotion, shampoo and conditioner in the rooms. All decent. Bring toothpaste and tooth brushes. They don't supply that although I bet if you ask for it, they will get it to you. The king bed was super comfy and if you want extra pillows, just ask.
6. I read about the odor from the toilet and it was confirmed :( There is a strange odor so I resolved to keeping the door to the toilet closed at all times. My bf says he thinks it was the cleaning chemicals. All I know is that it wasn't pleasant but it wasn't terrible enough for me to say anything to staff and it went away after about 10 minutes in the room which means you get used to it.
7. Electrical outlets are the same as in the US. However, you can't use anything requiring 3 prongs.
8. The beach is so-so. For those who say it's "far from the hotel" I have no idea what they are talking about. Maybe compared to other hotels where you step out and are standing on the sand, but even so, it's not far! It's about a minute walk from the pools. The beach itself is so-so and not so welcoming. Mexico's beaches are a lot better. The water isn't a turquoise clear blue or anything, but it's still pretty. There were no big waves. My bf saw dolphins jumping totally vertical out of the ocean and also saw a whale off in the distance.
9. The pools are awesome. We spent every day at a different pool until we found our favorite. It really depends who you are sharing them with. Some guests can be really loud and obnoxious ie... blasting their own jam boxes when the hotel already has music playing from loud speakers.
10. It's rainy season and I would never ever ever come here during "high-season." There were still plenty of people and I would never want to have to fight through crowds here, deal with loud children etc. We got up early every morning, ate breakfast and went right to the pools and beach. It would be sunny and warm until around lunch time and then the rain would start. Some days, it didn't rain at all and some days it would rain for a short while and get nice again. It didn't put a damper on the vaca AT ALL and I came with full plans to worship the sun.
11. BRING SUNSCREEN. If you plan to buy any here DON'T DO IT. They charge $30-$40 for an 8oz bottle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They know you are desperate and they will get you! haha. I was thankful I packed my own. If you bring your own, DON'T PACK IT IN YOUR CARRY ON! If you do, it will get taken away at the airport and then you're screwed.
12. The in-room WiFi kind of sucks. It worked best when I was sitting in the lobby or out on the balcony. Otherwise, I would get kicked off constantly.
13. There is only one ATM machine in the hotel and it's inside the casino which opens at 6pm. It dispenses dollars and colones which is very convenient.
14. The coffee is SO GOOD. We would go to the cafe about 3 times a day... we developed a bit of an addiction.
15. They offer a laundry service but said it would take 24-72 hours to get it back :/ We were only there for 7 nights so this proved pointless and not helpful at all.
16. The shows and entertainment was pretty bad and very corny, but plenty of people participate nonetheless.
17. The gym was a bit of a joke. I'm sure you could get a good workout in if you reeeally wanted to, but there was very little to work with. Maybe about 6 dumbbells there and all of random weights.
18. There are so many choices for tours! All the tour guides are hanging out in the bar area with their laptops set up and also on the beach. I was more into cultural tours than crazy days like zip lining etc and that's pretty much what they all offered on their brochures. We met Roberto from Geckotico on the beach and told him we wanted a coffee tour (not just a tasting) and I wanted to see local towns where there are NO TOURISTS. He customized a day trip for us and it was awesome! He was great and spoke English so that my bf could understand. My bf is a bit of a coffee snob so we wanted to see the production of coffee from start to finish and so we ended up taking a tour of Cafe Diria and it was great! We learned so much. We saw monkeys on the side of the road. I heard of ppl going to a monkey sanctuary, but I didn't want to see them in cages and frankly, seeing them on the road in their natural habitat was so much better. We also went to a couple of towns where we were the only tourists. This is my idea of going to another country and what I like to do. If you like zip lining etc there is no shortage of that.
19. Costa Rica is super safe! And beautiful! I felt fine the whole time while we walked around.
20. The Riu is in the middle of nowhere. So if you want to get away from the resort, be prepared for an hour long car ride at least.
21. The Riu charges $25 per couple for a round trip shuttle service to Coco Beach (Playa del Coco). We only went once to buy gifts for people back home. The beach is the same as the resort and not really a place to "lay out." The stores are all tourist stands selling similar things and there are only bars and restaurants. There was nothing authentic about it so to be honest, I'd much rather just hang out at the Riu.
22. FOOD: The food here is pretty good. We felt full constantly - mission accomplished! The buffets are great. You can eat as clean or as unhealthy as you want. For breakfast there is no shortage of anything and they are not cheap with anything. Scrambled egg whites, nuts, yogurts, bacon, cereals etc... breakfast was my favorite. Lunch and dinner was also varied. There was SO MUCH FOOD TO CHOOSE FROM. Some of it was not good to be honest but there were plenty of other things to eat that were good. Nothing spectacular though. You never quite get over the feeling that you are eating in a cafeteria, however. Which is why they have the restaurant choices. Make your reservations at the beginning of your trip bc they are tricky to plan. I don't even want to know what this is like during the busy season. The steak house was my favorite - I had the surf and turf - the lobster was so good and it was great to have my steak cooked the way I wanted it. My bf and I agreed that the "restaurants" are kind of like the staff giving the illusion that you are eating in a fancy restaurant but most ingredients are the same as the buffet - you're just in a different ambiance and the meal is cohesive rather than a hodge podge of random things like from the buffet. The desserts although beautifully presented are a let down sadly. They just aren't all that great.
23. WEEKENDS ARE BUSY! I am not sure what they do on weekends but good luck trying to get a table to sit at for lunch on the wknds! i think they have a special offer for locals who want to eat at the Riu bc it got crazy packed only for lunch. The pools etc were not affected - just lunch time buffets were insanely busy.

My take aways: We loved our vaca. We were lazy, got a lot of sun, learned about coffee and made it a point to go to non-tourist towns... and we ate a lot which was what we wanted. I would DEFINITELY stay a Riu again but next time, I'll go somewhere where the beach is a bit nicer. Everything else was awesome.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the ocean view rooms during the rainy season if you want beautiful sunsets. It...
Stratford, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

My Husband and I stayed here the first week in October and from start to finish this was the best experience I have had. This was our first time staying at a RIU resort and I read a lot of reviews on Tripadvisor before choosing RIU Palace.

Check in was fast and easy. The front desk personnel were friendly and courteous. Our rom was not ready but they directed us to the restaurant for lunch and then we made supper reservations as I had read this was something I should take care of as soon as possible.

Room- Our room was large and very comfortable. The king sized bed was not hard as most people say and our pillows were soft also. Yes the bathroom is open to the rest of the room but I was there with my husband so it didn't bother us. Our room was cleaned daily and she would leave us towel art and flowers every day. The mini bar was restocked daily.

We ate in all of the al a carte restaurants and I have to say I loved the Italian one the best. The variety they had was out of this world and the ta of the food was fantastic. The Fusion was very good. So was the Steakhouse and the Japanese.

The beach was far from the pool and bar area and not very pretty, but if you wanted a quiet place to go, this was ideal. We did walk there a couple different times and it was really nice.

Went on a couple of excursions- Zip-lining, horseback riding, mud bath and hot springs and then a river boat trip through the National Park. The guides were awesome and the experience was unforgettable!

We met some really great people both staff at the resort and other travelers and formed some new friendships that will last for a long time. We can't wait to go back

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Had a wonderful time ! Arrived on 10/4/13 for a 6 night stay w/ a group of our clients/friends. Check in was a breeze, thankfully & customer service at the desk was fine, everyone was friendly, polite & helpful. We did not however get our private group check in & I had to request the group amenities for our group.(After sending a few emails that were never responded to prior to departure, I made contact w/ "group sales" upon arrival via PHONE, never came out to speak in person though I was at the front desk). We were given our "group dinner" at the Krystal, which was excellent.
The BEST SERVICE I have to say was in the dining rooms, fortunately for our group, my husband was able to speak w/ the maitre'd & arrange a group dining for us in a specialty restaurant most nights. Hats off to "Giovanni" , he was awesome ! Always spoke w/ the group, asked if we were having fun, & offered excellent customer service!

The "until 2pm" reservation person was not very helpful & the "Tokio" restaurant was never open except for one night while we were there, not her fault, BUT they should advise clients in advance that they would have limited restaurant options. You should be able to "Call in" your reservations !!! I did not care for this practice at all ! If it weren't for the maitre'd & Giovanni looking after us, we would NOT have had the excellent service that we recd. Dining room staff were all very friendly, helpful & accommodating. "Group sales" needs to address this issue for group dining as WELL as for individual diners.

Entertainment : FANTASTICO !!! The shows were always excellent ! Do NOT miss the Michael Jackson show, it was AWESOME, as were all of the shows.GREASE, 80's & all shows were SO GREAT. Riu has A1A entertainers. The nightly "Live" singers & band were fantastic. Our "hermana" even let us play her instrument & make song requests poolside on the day of our departure !
Food in the Italian restaurant "L'Anfora" ala carte menu was excellent, buffet & salad bar there was good also. Nice thing about here......no reservations required ! They either need to start this practice at their other restaurants or make other accommodations for guests instead of the "2pm desk".
Papagayo Buffet for lunch was excellent w/ SO MANY choices ! Would love to have seen more seafood choices, but food selection & flavors were great.
Papagayo then becomes the steakhouse at night; the steak was delicious, the lobster was the most horrible, over cooked item on their menu. Appetizers & salad was excellent ! The salad was SO GOOD, I didn't want to "share" w/ my husband! (you "share" a salad there). I have to say that it didn't bother me personally, but there were some "resort cats" on site here at night; request a table towards the "inside" if you have cat allergies or don't like them around.
Arenal Restaurant - EXCELLENT buffet w/ so many choices, you cannot go wrong. The Breakfast was the best ! Get your omelette made at 2 separate stations, my favorite was the one to the right facing inside !
The little French patisserie/coffee bar was AWESOME ! Would be nice if it was opened in the morning a little earlier or even 24 hours !
The 24 hour snack area was not good at all for "snack time" !!!!!! The only thing edible was the nachos & the little sandwiches. The food would come out from the refrigerator directly to the steamer rounds & only warmed up AFTER sterno heated & by then the buns on HB & Hot dogs were crisp. Hot dogs wrapped w/ raw bacon got one of our clients really sick. Sterno is fine, BUT a microwave would be a nice touch.
I have to say though that the BREAKFAST choices & food in the early morning were very good.

Room service : very strange food combinations. Ordered 3-4 things to share & only had a few bites from each . Cake was fair , Club sandwich w/ overcooked bacon & had a big hunk of cheese on it ??? Very limited menu; definitely could use a few "tweaks" on menu.

RIU entertainment staff (they dress all in red) were always very friendly & always encouraged guest to participate without being "pushy". They would go all around & let guests know what the current activities were, what entertainment, shows, etc. they had going on. They are very visible & always ready to help, talk & answer questions. Our whole group had such a great time w/ all of them.
We also enjoyed our water aerobics classes at 11am!!! It was such great fun !

Swim up bar & bar staff were AWESOME !!! They handled our group very well. Great drinks at the swim up bar. Margaritas in the main lobby area & lounge area were not good. If you want great drinks, head to the swim up bar !

On to the rooms; our room was an Ocean View suite # 5057, it had breathtaking views & we were able to hear the live music while in our room. Live music ended promptly at 11pm, so if you are an early bird ask for a room away from the stage area! We were usually always there to the very end, but didn't mind it at all. Rooms were very large, clean, modern "chic". LOVED the rooms !!! Nice roomy shower w/ 2 options, hand held spray or Rainfall shower head.The only thing weird is the Jacuzzi tub was right in the middle of the floor ! GREAT for couples though ! Not great if you are sharing a double room w/ friends.

Tours on site : We had several clients who did the horseback riding which was really fun but "warning"; wear insect repellent & be prepared to get a little wet !

PLEASE NOTE : BYO Insect repellent & Sunscreen ; it is imported from the US & they have a hefty price tag $37 for sunscreen ! (thankfully I knew this & advised my clients!)
ALSO BYO Wine; if you are a wine drinker, you will be greatly disappointed. They use a Chilean wine which I would rate a 2-3 out of 10. The Chardonnay was the only thing I could drink.

TOURS: Don't book on the beach, what you read on line is true, I spoke w/ a lady that got "stood up" for one of her tours while there & had to spend part of her day hunting down the guy to get a refund. I am sure that not ALL of the beach vendors are that way , but why take a chance ??????? IF YOU WANT GREAT TOURS AT A GREAT PRICE, W/ FRIENDLY & RELIABLE SERVICE CONTACT FREDDY MONTERO @ COSTA RICA PRIVATE TOURS. He is THE ONLY tour guide to go with in the GUANACASTE AREA !!! SOUTH SEAS TRAVEL LLC only goes w/ the BEST for their clients!!! Freddy provided very affordable ROUND TRIP airport transfers for our group. We even had a "pit stop" en route to the resort ! We had a custom, private tour to the Arenal Volacano Sky Tram, Zip line, lunch, dinner, waterfalls, coffee/souvenir stop ! Freddy also arranged for a private yacht charter for us & our clients; what can I say except PURA VIDA ! He also arranged a group shopping trip for us to Playa del Coco, which was really fun & Several private/ individual tours for those not going to the Volcano. The Palo Verde tour per our clients was a DO NOT miss tour ! They saw lots of wild life, crocs, monkeys, etc. FREDDY also provided several "tips" for us on our adventures & was always so accommodating to our group. If you want PURA VIDA..........contact FREDDY !

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We had a great time at the RIU Palace. The staff was great, food was great and shows were Great!! We loved everything. I just have 1 small complaint Making a reservation for the restaurants was a pain. Sometimes the girl would leave before 2 and if you went out on a tour it was impossible because you can only do it between 11-2 =o( not the best set up of that but the food at the buffet was great. We booked our trips with Norman From Alex on the beach. he was right on the beach at the hotel and had great rates plus he spoke Great English. Costa Rica is a Beautiful place!!! WE would recommended it to everyone!

Lindenhurst, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Just came back from a wonderful week in Costa Rica 10-21- 13. We loved the weather even if we went during there rainy season. We went with a large group of 22 people celebrating 50th Birthdays. The hotel was beautiful and always very clean and always went out of the way to accommodate our large party. The shows were the best I have ever seen at any resort I have been to, top of the line and boy can they dance. The pools were clean and they always had something going on to keep you entertained pool side. The entertainment crew were all very friendly and really do a great job getting people involved. They all work long days keeping us entertained. A+
Booked all our excursions through Daniel on the beach great pricing and top notch service. We paid $80 per person ( we had a large group) for the Zip Line, horseback riding and spa tour while the hotel charges $160 per person. Daniel and his crew get a A+ from us!!!!
A MUST...go down to the beach and have a massage ...Had (2) on the beach with Hanna booth (# 1 ) $30 dollars an hour for one of the beast messages I have ever had. She helps out stray dogs in the area so as an animal lover I went to her. A+
FISHING is off the hook in Costa Rica a MUST DO when you go there. Booked though Daniel on the beach $300 for half day fishing tour hook up with other people and split the cost. We started catching fish with in the 1st 15 minutes. Saw dolphins, stingrays, sea turtles, flying fish and a whale with her baby just an amazing experience. Brought back some of the fish to the hotel and they did a great job cooking it up for us for dinner. The rest of the fish we gave to the crew on the boat.A+
Some of us women did the RIU Art which was fun none of us are artists but with the help of the staff we all felt like we were. I now have a piece of art work that I can hang on my wall to always remind me of our trip to Costa Rica, even if it is going to hang where nobody can see it. (LOL)
Now some of the down falls....
The bathrooms are WAY to far from the pool. A very bad design plan that all of us complained about. They really need to fix that....it sucked walking that far to go to the bathroom. C-
Food -
Breakfast was good how can you mess up Breakfast.
Lunch Buffet was good, I liked when they had lunch by the pool, Taco's and the BBQ.
Dinner was very disapointing being that it was off season a lot of the restaurants were closed so you had to go to the buffet which was the same as the lunch buffet. They never kicked it up a notch for the dinner buffets as other resorts do. The waits were long we waited 2 hours for our dinners at both the Steak House & Italian restaurants after being seated. C-

The best part of Costa Rica are the People. I would go back in a heart beat they say the best months are December - April. Costa Rica is a very environmentally correct country. They recycle everything take care of the wild life and catch and release all endangered fish. They never talked bad about each other while trying to make sales on the beach. It was very refreshing to walk on the beach and talk to the locals with out the pressure you find on other Islands that we have visited. So all and all it was a great trip well worth the time and money...enjoy.

Room Tip: We had ocean view which was great.
LOUISVILLE ,KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

South Seas Travel LLC with a group of 18 had a fabulous time . Food selection awesome ! never had to ask for service they were everywhere . Pool live music/entertainment , nice touch ( could use another swim-up bar ) Nightly entertainment , non stop ( back to back , literally ) in English & Spanish , sweet !!! Got to know some of the entertainers close up , they all look good day & night very energetic & friendly ,, Bravo to all . Resort location awesome , tours easy access thanks to FREDDIE & AERO PABLO ( tour operator & driver respectively ) PURA VIDA INDEED !
Group arrived 10/4/13 departed 10/10/13 & will be back soon !

Room Tip: Any room was just fine !!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica? Share your experiences!