“A week in a well manicured paradise!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Matapalo, Sardinal, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Sardinal
Brooklyn, MI
“A week in a well manicured paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed at the Riu Palace March 2 - 9, 2013 as part of a large (102) group and thoroughly enjoyed the week! The physical layout of the resort isn't as overwhelming as a couple of the Riu properties we have stayed have been and was extremely clean and well maintained given the kind of turnover that they have. A couple of folks in our group had shower issues but it wasn't anything that detracted from their stay at all (some leaking from rooms above into their shower areas). They attend to the rooms (both for cleaning and minibar) religiously and we were never without towels, bottled water or anything else we needed.

The staff is extremely friendly and helpful and we flat out never saw anyone who didn't greet us
with a sincere, enthusiastic smile. We had a birthday in our family while we were there and they arranged a special seating complete with balloons and confetti/glitter on the table and a special birthday cake for our twins (adults...but it was still a birthday!) after dinner. They dimmed the lights before they brought the cake (with candles glowing) to the table and everyone in the restaurant sang. This would've been extraordinary in itself, but the fact that we were almost an HOUR LATE because an excursion we were on got back late and they were STILL so hospitable and willing to extend themselves was really wonderful (and I felt AWFUL about being late!)

Food was very good across the board as well and we never had a bad meal. The only restaurant that you need a reservation for is the Papagayo Steak House and they do two seatings. Otherwise you can come and go as you please and the Italian restaurant is open for lunch as well if you want to dress for the occasion (but no swimsuits/flip flops in there!) The buffets were also very good with a nice variety of foods.

If you want to leave the property and venture into the little village of Playa del Coco (about a half hour cab ride and $15/$20 per person round trip) there are several REALLY good restaurants there as well with wonderful seafood brought in that day. The one we went to is also called Papagayo and was really (REALLY!) good and worth the trip! There's some fun shopping as well and a lovely beach down at the end of the strip.

We stayed on the other side of the Palace 2 years ago (Palace wasn't built yet) and found that lovely as well. You can go over to the pools/bars on the other side and can have lunch there as well but they want you back on the Palace property for dinner. The "other side" I think has a little more "tropical" feel to it with the Palace being pretty streamlined, contemporary and done in white, purple and chrome but both sides are equally well maintained.

We did the Palo Verde river trip again this time and it did not disappoint with an abundance of wildlife and interesting history/facts from the tour guide. This excursion is one not to be missed if you're interested in the local flora/fauna and want to see a nice variety of birds and animals.

Our family went deep sea fishing as well and brought back 25-30 red snapper and some small grouper that the chef in the main dining room prepared for us that night along with tempura vegetables, etc. Talk about FRESH and well prepared food!! What a treat that was!

Oh...AND...there is plenty of room at the pools and the bartenders are great! Lots of chairs, LOTS of different types of fun drinks and shade for the days when you've had enough sun!

We loved our week at the Palace and would highly recommend both Costa Rica and this resort as a destination for your vacation! We've been twice and wouldn't hesitate to return to this beautiful, friendly country! Pura Vida!

Room Tip: Higher floor with an oceanfront view was BEAUTIFUL!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

1,105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Polish first
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We had read about Diego on trip advisor reports from people who stayed at the RUI in Guanacaste, so when we got down to the resort we decided we wanted to do a tour. So I gave Diego a call on Monday and we setup a tour for Thursday to go do a spa/zip line tour. He picked us up at 7:30 and took us to a supermarket to get some snacks and drinks. After loading up, we took off for our tour. The entire time he was chatting all about Costa Rica, the animals, plants, economy, everything. If he saw something interesting on the way, he would pull over and discuss whatever we were looking at. The place he took us (name escapes me) was a lot of fun. We were at a spa resort on essentially a volcano. We first got a tour of the place, and then did a volcano mud bath, relaxed in hot springs and a really cool steam room. Then they had a pool to relax at until lunch was ready. After a pretty good lunch, we took a 45 minute horseback ride up the volcano to where the zip line workers were waiting for us. After doing 10 incredible zip lines we were pretty much beat for the day. We had some drinks, hopped in the car, saw and learned even more stuff about Costa Rica and arrived back at our resort around 7pm. Thanks again Diego Issys tours, you are an asset to the entire country of Costa Rica. You won't find a better tour guide or friend in the country!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Wauconda, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I and three other couples were just at the RIU 3/8/13 - 3/15/12. It was amazing from the food, employees and room. They really made our stay wonderful from the time we arrived to the time we left. The only issue was no bathrooms by the pool had to walk back to the hotel area. Would return same time of year weather was amazing every day.

Room Tip: stay in an ocean view room the view is excellent....
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Last year We stayed at the review next door and had a wonderful time. We decided to come back this year and try the new Riuand were very pleased with the services and atmosphere this Riu provided! The food was excellent! No septic or food poisoning… The vegetables and fruits were incredible everything was wonderful! The only suggestion I would make is to offer up more variety in the evenings during the entertainment. Maybe add a comedy night or karaoke night. Do something to break up the dance routines, which are great as well! Just add a little variety. This Riu was much more relaxed, and we didn't have to wait in line to get drinks service or food. The staff was always pleased to accommodate any requests you want. We definitely will return!

• Stayed March 2013
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Costa Rica was a wonderful experience. I rely on these reviews to ensure my vacations are well-spent, so I made sure to take notes and detail out all of our experiences. This is my pay-it-forward review:

The temperature was 35 degrees and sunny every day we were there. We arrived at the airport around noon and caught our shuttle van (TAM) which was pre-arranged by our travel agent. It's the dry season in Costa Rica, so all of the surroundings are dry and brown, often without leaves on the trees. This is because the vegetation goes dormant much like in our Canadian winters. The resort is lush and green however. I should mention that there weren't any timeshare sellers at the airport which I appreciated - which is more than I can say for at the hotel.

Although timeshares weren't being sold, we were "reminded" repeatedly by our travel liason who is stationed at the hotel to book a session to learn about the excursions. We had already decided to book our trips with the beach vendors (thanks to other reviewers), so the constant nagging was a bit annoying. It stopped as soon as there were new people to pester.

The decor of the hotel is modern, but we didn't mind it so much. The lobby is an 'under the sea' theme and yes, there is a bathtub in the middle of your room. Corners are sharp as other reviewers have suggested. The toilet is in its own room and separate from the shower and sinks. As the week went on, I began to wonder if this was on purpose as a way to minimize noise from other rooms as I never heard another toilet flush (could have been that we didn't have neighbours). We would close the door to the toilet but leave the light on as a sort of nightlight which helped avoid sharp corners and bathtubs if you needed to get up during the night. Everything echos in the hallway which is unfortunate, but probably unavoidable. We did have a problem with our shower drain, but maintenance fixed it right up.

Privacy could be an issue since the room is open-concept. We travelled with my 15-year old son but made it work by changing in the shower or toilet area when necessary. I should mention that when we arrived we had two double beds and a single 'cot' for my son. We asked for a king and they offered it to us, but in the end we decided to forego moving rooms and had them just push the doubles together. It worked out OK for us. Bring your own shampoo and conditioner - again a great tip from other reviewers.

Reservations are now only required for the Steakhouse restaurant and it was pretty easy to get in. Riu is listening to suggestions and making changes which is awesome! Each day at lunch they would setup a food station by the pools and dish out some pretty amazing fare. Restaurants were good, but having tried them all if I were to stay another week I'd only eat at the buffet because of the selection and live food stations. I ended up not having a great appetite the entire week - likely because of the heat.

There didn't seem to be any locals anymore on the weekends. Wifi signal was awesome and had a very wide range! Your code will expire after a few days and you will need to get a new code. Again, not a big deal.

We booked our excursions with Carlos Campos of Sweet Dreams Destinations (I hope that's exactly right) who wears a yellow shirt and can be found at the end of the path by the pool bar leading to the beach. Such a sweet man. We booked the combo tour and ATV tours with him. I want to point out that after we had agreed on price a situation changed last minute that gave Carlos the opportunity to charge us more than discussed. This man not only gave us the price reduction, but gave it unsolicited. Very honest and upstanding - I highly recommend using this company for your trips. On the combo tour, Ronald and Alonzo were our tour guides. Very patient and pointed out all the things that make Costa Rica unique. When doing the waterslide and ziplining, Ronald held our cameras and took all kinds of pictures for us (I'm in the pictures for ONCE!). Tips for this tour are to bring a set of dry clothes, water (from the hotel), running shoes and socks along with your sandals, and bugspray. I found that anytime I was off the resort I became dinner for the bugs. We ended up buying some bugspray at the resort store for $17. We also did the ATV tour which my son loved. VERY dusty - wear old clothes!! Gustavo was our guide on this excursion and he was a gentleman through and through. We may have had some money taken (or my husband dropped it), so just keep your bills close. If anyone took it, I would argue against it being our tour guides. My gut tells me it could have been staff at the places we visited. Again - we have no proof.

OK, now some random pointers and observations. Winds can be very strong - just to keep in mind. Wear sunscreen no matter what! You are 10 degrees from the equator and it doesn't matter that you don't burn in Mexico - you will here. Bring extra - it's very expensive at the resort store ($30-$40). I am a runner so I sought out the gym. There are only two treadmills, but they also have bikes and ellipticals. Sometimes I had to wait for a treadmill.

The sand on the beach is dark and very hot during the day so you will need something on your feet. It's soft though and nice to walk on once things cool off in the morning or evening. Next door is another Riu resort that you can visit and enjoy all the amenities (except dinners) and it seems to be much more lively than the Riu Palace (although things picked up somewhat once March break was in full swing). We preferred the quieter atmosphere at the Palace, but my son often skipped over next door and I never felt like his safety was in jeopardy. An item of note is that their pools are not saltwater like at the Riu Palace. We retrieved some lost items of clothing and sandals periodically as I can't chain these things to my teenager (but would have liked to).

If you walk on the beach away from the other Riu, you will eventually come to a little road with a sign for the Monkey Bar. Go here around 4 p.m. if you want to see monkeys - there must have been two dozen when we were there.

A few other things. . . The Cappucino bar in the lobby is fabulous. Don't forget to try it! The bartenders are great - Freddie and Edual in the lounge bar kept us entertained, but all the staff are great. Photographers circle the resort and take shots of you and your family which you can purchase near the resort store - very talented individuals. We found that the staff around the Riu were so accommodating and always cleaning. Tips don't necessarily improve service, which is refreshing. I kept my room key in the back of my cellphone case, and found this very handy.

I would suggest that you bring Tylenol or Advil with you. I never take anything like that - avoid it like the plague. However, I came down with body ache and chills that I couldn't attribute to a cold coming on. Others at the resort said they experienced the same and when I briefly googled it I found reference to extreme environment change maybe contributing to these symptoms. Seeing as we came from snow to 35 degree weather, I can justify why this may have happened. My son had something similar, but it was short-lived. My back got the brunt of this affliction so I tried out a massage on the beach to try to alleviate it. The massage was amazing and I would recommend you try it (I've never had a massage before). When I still was feeling sore I asked the front desk if they might have a hot water bottle. There was a language barrier but they were so sweet in trying to address my issue and checked up on me more than once.

Bring lots of ones for tips, but you can also get change at the front desk free of charge. Keep your valuables in the safe at all times - one couple we met with had things gone through and some money taken. A complaint to the front desk assured them that this staff member could be tracked through the door cards and would be terminated. You'll get that kind of stuff anywhere though. We had no problem and often left things out that I would have missed had they been taken. My final bit of advice is that the airport offers a vast selection of souvenirs which is great, but load up on food at the resort before you get there! The food is incredibly expensive at the airport. . . we bought two bottles of water ($10) and one bag of plain lays chips ($9). I can only imagine what lunch would have cost. And beverages are not allowed on the plane even though you bought it in the airport.

Costa Rica was beautiful and we'd go back. Read up on the country! Did you know they abolished their army? Did you know that they are one of the most environmentally conscious countries in the world? The people and experience were one to remember. We met so many awesome locals and fellow travellers - lots of memories. Pura Vida!

Room Tip: We took the garden view. It was nice and quiet when the shows were on.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Idaho Springs, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Disclaimer: This will be rather long but if you are planning a trip to the Riu Palace, Guanacaste, it's a must read!!

In November, I wrote a review of the Riu Palace, Guanacaste. I don't often do things like this because I am simply not computer savvy nor am I a big fan of these things. I prefer my smart phone and typing anything more than a few sentences can be a daunting task!! Having said that, I feel as though it's my obligation to give this resort the praises it deserves. I understand just how important Tripadvisor is to the tourism industry, especially in Costa Rica as my first review of the Palace, Guanacaste ( and only review ever ) apparently put me in the top 15% of all read reviewers, on the tripadvisor website.

My wife and I chose to return to The riu Palace, Guanacaste only 4 short months after our first visit. There were many reasons why we returned but the most important being we wanted to go back and visit all of the friends we had made, both on and off property. Friends that we found ourselves missing dearly! After being recognized at the Airport in Liberia, by a Riu employee, we arrived at the resort with greetings from several employees who made it very clear they remembered us and were very excited to see us again. There are 538 rooms in this resort not to mention the Riu Guanacaste next door. It made us both feel very appreciated at the amount of people that remembered us. From here on out, hugs were not in short supply on our trip. Keep in mind that the average employee turn over, in the service industry here in the US, is believed to be between 50 and 80% per year. Every single Riu employee we had hoped to see, on this trip, was still working and with a smile on their face!! This tells me that the Riu is providing a work place that is desired by the local people and that makes me and my wife happy!!
The Service: I have been in the Food and Beverage industry for many years. I am classically trained in French cuisine and service. The attention to detail and overall knowledge of service, as a whole, that the employees of the Riu Palace, Guanacaste show on a daily basis, even superseeded what we experienced on our first trip. It is simply impressive!! I could go on and on about it but, instead, I will provide two examples: 1. I will admit, I am a smoker. I hate it as much as you...trust me! On my balcony, I was using a glass of water as an ashtray. Guanacaste is dry this time of year and fire danger is very high. The winds are also an issue in March and I figured water was the best choice as to provent any possible fire. Our housekeeper, Ana Mercades, actually replaced that glass of nasty butts with a fresh glass of water. To me....that is attention to detail. 2. I was back in the room for a moment, to grab some things, when I had a knock at the door. It was the Bell Hop who had remembered us from the last visit with a bottle of very nice champagne, 2 glasses and a little pint bottle of some delicious rum!! With it was a note basically thanking us for our return visit. I asked him " who is this from" and with a huge smile on his face he said " it's from me.....and the managers". I loved that....$10 tip!! Keep in mind, prior to this second trip, I did not contact the Palace stating that we would be returning. Please understand, the vast majority of the service employees, at the Riu, had very little, if any prior experience or training in this type of luxury atmosphere and the level they and their managers have asended to is truly amazing!!

The Food: The food is great!! Many different options to chose from. Again, I could go on and on. But, instead, I will leave it to one example: My wife and I had arrived back at the resort late. We were with some local friends spending time in a very near by town called Artola. Once back at the resort, we looked for a sit down restaurant for dinner but unfortunatly, they were all full. They all offered a short wait time but we were hungry!! So, we chose the buffet restaurant called Arenal. You can imagine the joy in my face when the first thing I saw was a table full of lobster tail, cooked to order on the grill!!! Unlimited, might I add!! So yes...the food is Fantastic no matter how you slice it! I also had a conversation with a gentleman on one of the lobby balconys, one evening, about the food and hotel, about our second trip and my culinary training. He also seemed pleased with the resort throughout our talk. We found out a few days later that he is a food critic of some renoun. Take that for what you will.

People: There is something special about the people of Costa Rica. It's a feeling of genuine that you simply don't get here in the states. They are welcoming and rely heavily on respecting one another!! When you are there, be sure to ask Freddy to set you up with one of his many different bar games. He will keep you laughing and interacting for hours. At one point, the entire bar was full of people playing his different games. He is located in the lobby bar, in the evenings. Secondly, if you want the best cup of coffee you have ever had, go see either Jose, or Edwalls, in the coffee shop. Not only did these guys both remember the exact coffee drink both my wife and I ordered on the last visit, but our friend Edwalls took the time to draw my wife a picture of her likeness! The man is an incredible artist and a great guy!! And my wife now has plans for a new tattoo!!

The Locals: On our first trip, We met a lovely couple named Luis and Carolina. Luis sells tours on the beach and Carolina, along with her daughter, offer the best massages you have ever had!! We spent a lot of time with Luis and Carolina. We Got to see Artola, the town they live in, we were able to see their home, meet their children and grandchildred, we walked around the school they attend, we had a wonderful dinner at their house and we were able to meet a friend of theirs named Marta. Marta Is a lady that lives in Artola in very desperate conditions. Luis and Carolina only met her a few weeks ago and from that point on are doing everything they can to help this lovely, god loving elderly woman. We immedialy fell in love and felt it was our obligation to do the same and have started a fundraiser to help better her living conditions. Without going into detail, the way she lives in not good!! If you want more information on Marta or how you can help, feel free to email me here at Bleuchef2001@gmail.com

The Resort: The resort is incredible! the staff is amazing!! It is everything you could possibly want!! The beaches are beautiful! the sand is dark because of the volcanoes present in Costa Rica, however, if you take a short, 20 minutes walk south, along the beach and during low tide, you can cross over a rock formation and onto a completely different beach made of white sand, coral and shell!! It's breath taking!! However...what impressed us the most, on this trip, was the quick conversation I had with Susana Flete....her title: Sub-Directora Anfitrion. Loosly translated I believe it to mean the Assistant Director of Customer Relations, or along those lines. After our visit with Marta, I decided I needed to speak to someone at the resort about getting her some help. I knew that Susana had recognized us from our first trip and she always had a welcoming demener and smile. I will admit, however, my wife and I were both nervous in that we did not want to be disappointed by our favorite place on earth!! Nothing of the sort happened!! I spoke to Susana about Marta, her eyes literally lit up and she insisted that I get a full name and address, as soon as possible, as there is a program the Riu created to donate food, clothing and the like! She was very excited that we wanted to help and we were relieved they felt the same way! And as a matter of fact, I just received an email from Susana requesting more detail about Marta.

In Summary....this Resort, The Riu Palace, Guanacaste is simply amazing!! In our humble opinion, that is. We will be back very soon!!

Room Tip: The rooms are REALLY nice. The hydro tub and rainforest style showers are outstanding! However, if y...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

We had a great time. ATe steak and lobster 3times. . They have improved the reserving dinner reservations. when we were leaving they were starting with a new procedure of not having to reserve most of the restaurants. I don't know whether that will make you wait to get a table. But if we went in the afternoon, there seem to be cancellations that allowed us to get in where we wanted to.
I agree that they should have a bathroom at the pool, instead of having to walk back to your room or the nearest restruant . MOst times it was easy to get a drink at the swim up pool. The service at the walk up bar in front of the pool was not as easy to get a drink.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica? Share your experiences!