“Great hotel, but cleaning lady tried stealing our stuff!” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel and Villas Nacazcol
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4 KM west of Playas del Coco, Sardinal, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Sardinal
Falls Church, Virginia
“Great hotel, but cleaning lady tried stealing our stuff!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

This hotel was gorgeous and the staff was awesome (well most of them). The last night we found our clothes (Nike shoes,shirts, bathing suit, and vera bradley items) hidden around the room in the kitchen cabinets, behind the TV, and between the box mattress/bed. Total 10 of our items were taken from us and hidden around the room but no money or electronics were taken because we kept those with us at all times. We are assuming that the cleaning lady (being the only one who went into our room) went through our backs and hid our clothes so she could later steal them. Besides the fact that someone went through our bag and hid our clothes we had a really fun time at this hotel. One night there was a band which was fun and the food was awesome! But watch out for your valuables!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Ascutney, Vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Just got back this afternoon from a week in Costa Rica. I traded my Orlando timeshare for a Nacazcol 2 bedroom/2bath unit.

Nacazcol is a community of apartments, private homes and vacation rental ,with a small hotel, mostly untilized by costa ricans. We did not see any other people from the U.S. with the exception of a group of texas high school students that stayed there a few nights while on an eco trip.

The first unit they tried to put us in was directly adjacent to a construction site. When we said no due to the noise they immediately gave us a different unit. They really did try hard to please us, but in reality there was no way they could. We were 3 miles from the beach in an older costa rican neighborhood with all kinds of people. (working people, locals vacationing, young kids with loud cars) It was no where near par with the unit I traded for. My issue is not with the staff a Nacazcol, it is with Interval International. The place is what it is, but I did not get my monies worth from Interval, by any means.

The staff at Nacazcol was very helpful and friendly. I have to say that is true of everyone I met in Costa Rica.

There are a few things that really bothered me about my unit:

-You have to insert your plastic room key into a holder in order to have to electricity. Wild! I understand that they are trying to save electricity, but to come home to a hot room is not acceptable!

-The refrigerator was in the living room.

-Water in the shower was intermittent..

-We were told we had a Jacuzzi tub in our room. It was indeed a Jacuzzi tub but the jets had never been installed. All it really amounted to is a triangle shaped bath tub.

-We had to go to the store to buy pape rtowels, dish soap and a sponge since they are not provided.

-The sheets were course and rough. Pillows were old and flat.

-There was a fair amount of construction vehicle traffic as well as cars right in front of our unit. One night we were kept up late by a barking dog.

-The Beach Club is not on the beach. It's a pool with a changing room and snack bar that is a short walk from the beach. We were told to catch the shuttle at 10 a.m., but when we got there we were told it was at 11.am. When we returned at 11, we were told it was at 9 a.m. Gratefully they called the shuttle driver and he took us to the beach. It was a 15 min ride from the resort (or whatever you would call it) to the beach club.

Room Tip: This is a Motel 6 experience.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

First time in Costa Rica family of 4 checked in late evening 11pm ..about half and hour away from Liberia Airport, clerk didn't speak much English but we checked in without any problems. Accommandations was average website stated that it will accommandate up to 8 people, but I believe comfortly 5 adults. It had 2 bedroom & 2 bathroom, kitchen (fridge, microwave, didn't have stove just a stovetop burner) very small livingroom with pullout sofabed (didn't look comfortable). Washroom sink was really bad...not deep enough so when you used it you would get splash with water everywhere...most useless sink I have ever used. Had to brush our teeth in the sink that was in the laundry area or kitchen sink every morning. Our patio door & front door would not lock therefore we had to tie it off with some rope for the first night as it was too late to call someone to come fix it. Stovetop cooker was not working & frying pan was so scratched up and old, plus utinsels was so bad you wouldn't want to use. Our safe was also broken. The next morning we called the front desk and told them about all the problems. They sent a maintenance guy over right away and he fixed both doors, safe and replace burner and gave us new utinsels and frying pan. He was very fast in fixing all of the problems. We had maid service everyday which was very good, usually timeshare owners would have to pay extra for maid service. We didn't participate in any of the pool activies as we were mostly out most day & evenings. Restaurant was okay food. Had a small market store on site. Mostly local people stayed at this hotel. Location of this hotel was not close to attractions you would need a car if you plan on staying here. Hotel not on the beach therefore you would have to drive to one. Had lizzards in the room as the kitchen ceiling was opened to outside. Air conditioning units was only in the bedrooms. The activites they had was spoken all in spanish. I don't think I would come back here as it was too far from most attractions and not on the beach, but if you just want to relax and stay in resort and you speak fluent spanish it would be okay

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

No hotel rooms... more like little apartments. The one I stayed in had one bedroom - a full and a twin bed, a nice bathroom with a shower, a kitchen and living room. There were a lot of planned activities for kids to do. Two pools. A DJ and dancing. A small little grocery store. Two restaurants that had good food. Two bars.
They are not located on the ocean but have a sister hotel that is located on a bay off of the ocean that we had access to.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

After reading some of the reviews on here, I was curious to see if Nacazcol would live up to it's negative hype. It did not.

Our experiences with everything from reception, to the restaurant, to housekeeping were wonderful. I highly recommend the massages at the Spa, though I wasn't crazy about the facial - I can't complain about the price for the spa services and the spa staff were awesome.

I think it is important to understand that this resort is popular with Ticos who know the area. If you show up with a typical tourist mentality of demanding the staff speak English and thinking the staff will be your personal assistant, I think it makes sense that the response might be less than cheerful. If you are looking for an inclusive experience designed for English speaking tourists, then you probably should look elsewhere. If you are looking for a taste of the real Costa Rica, and you can actually speak the language, we found that the staff was helpful, friendly, and very professional.

The location is perfect for someone with access to their own vehicle, but if you have to depend on cabs to get to Coco or the other beaches, it can add up after awhile. They do provide transportation to one beach free to guests at a set time of day.

Our villa was clean, spacious, and very comfortable. We checked-in late at night, and the process was easy, polite, and quick. The reception staff was very helpful in helping us arrange transportation and answering all of our (many!) questions. I can't wait to return for a longer stay!

Room Tip: The villas are spacious and perfect for an extended stay.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

From the moment we arrived the service was terrible, this guy at reception named sterk or strek talked to us with terrible manners and not at all polite. The room was average, the beds were too hard, the pool is very small for the amount of people and the restaurant was too expensive for such poor quality food. You can find many better hotel closer to the beach and with better costumer service.

• Stayed July 2012
San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

My mom became a member and I've been a regular client since last year. She is supposed to get a "Villa" for 8 people, but on my first two visits I only got a Villa for 4 people max and the second time a hotel room for 2 people max. This is the first time I got a Villa for 8 pax. My reservation was from Wed-Fri and then started again from Sat-Sat. So, we called reception to ask if, as compensation for the previous two accomodations in smaller places, they could offer us the Friday night as a courtesy. The guy at the reception said for sure he could arrange that and before we left to the beach, we asked him if we should pick up everything and check out. He said we shouldnt worry and that he was going to call us during the afternoon. During the afternoon, Gabriela, the manager, kept on calling my mother, instead of me (and I m 29) stating that we did not open the door and that they were going to charge us $35 dollars for every hour we were away. Of course, that made my mom feel worried for no reason, because the guy didnt ask for the inventory, the bracelets or the sign for the car. And when we talked to her on the phone, instead of apologizing for the inconvenience of being misinformed by her staff, she blamed it on us and as we refused to pay for that, she said she was going to charge the guy from the reception. After that, she told my mom she was going to charge my mom. And all these happened while we were at the beach. No need to say our trip was ruined by the stress these people caused my mom and us. So, Gabriela told my mom to start the second reservation on Friday instead of Saturday (instead of a compensation for the inconveniences, we had to change our plans) And when I arrived to the reception to ask for an apology for all the stress they caused my mom that was not even traveling with us, Daniela Espinoza the receptionist refused openly to apologize and was telling me over and over how everything was our fault. I emailed Manager Melchor Marcos, and he didnt even attempt to offer an apology or a way to compensate us, instead, just the same as Daniela, he was lecturing me about the "norms" they have. Obviously, the guy working around 11 a.m. past Friday at the reception, Gabriela, Daniela and him ignore the basic norms of good customer service, they dont even use a Customer Relationship Management System or are even trained in listening, building rapport, empathizing, apologizing, compensating or creating positive experiences, in general. I was actually surprised to read that people from other countries had such a bad experiences as mine. I am from Costa Rica and it is really bad for the tourism industry, that people with no skills for customer service have those jobs where facilitating a nice experience for another person is essential.

Room Tip: Villa 508 is in front of the gym and away from the noise of the pool
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sardinal
Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#2 of 3 in Sardinal
4.0 of 5 stars 4,252 reviews

Been to Hotel and Villas Nacazcol? Share your experiences!