“It was great until the weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Guanacaste

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Guanacaste to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Matapalo - Sardinal | Carrillo - Guanacaste, Sardinal, Costa Rica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to $2000 Resort Credit
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Sardinal
Hastings, Minnesota
“It was great until the weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The hotel was clean and the staff was kind and helpful for the most part. The beds are super hard but since I am always looking at trip advisor I knew to ask the front desk when I checked in for a "fluffer" and I had a soft mattress pad delivered within the hour. The only problem I had with the room really was the bathroom. I was one of the lucky ones whose bathroom always had a faint sewer smell if you left the cover up. I solved the problem by closing the lid and the bathroom door.
The pool...It was great until the weekend. I did not know that RUI sells day passes and it was a madhouse. All week you could get a drink, a chair, a question answered. Then you could not get anything. I do believe that there should be a "adult only" area in the pool as I did not travel with my kids and although I know you think their screams are cute, I did not. I did not find one child with a swim diaper on so I just went to the beach. I was not able to get bar service anyway so I figured it was a non drinking day.
The Food. I loved it. I cant say I really enjoyed the restaurants as the size was small and the service was slow. I was surprised to find that you could not get a drink in the restaurants. I really did like each trip to the buffet and since I was eating dinner when the doors open I only had fresh food.
OVERALL.. I will be back. Yes the hotel is an hour from the airport and the airport is small and expensive..(delay of 5 hours) but I again knew this and was prepared. There are so many fun things you can do both on the property and away. I did not find any use for COCO Beach. I did have Ana for a massage on the beach and it was amazing. I wish that I would have gone for another one. I used Frank for my excursions and found him to be wonderful. When staying here you have the option to be busy every second or to do nothing at all. This is not a resort if you are looking to party as it pretty much shuts down after the nightly show. Oh yea the shows..I can only say that they try really hard but I usually would leave early. Bingo was fun each night even if it was quick.
I enjoyed the food, the pool (until the weekend) and the people. If you go to a resort and know what to expect then you will be fine. I was there June 16-23 and it was hot but just hop in the pool or the ocean to cool down. I can not wait to return.

Room Tip: I would choose a room on the left away from the entertainment area or you will not have a early bed...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

3,408 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,069)
Braintree, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Beautiful location but far from parks and places to see. Hotel was beautiful, service in restaurants was excellent, front desk could use a little fine tuning. Great pool and entertainment. Beds were extremely hard and uncomforable. No bar or food service on beach.Plenty of lounge chairs on the beach. Rain forest all around you and we could see monkeys from our balcony. Beautiful country would go back in a minute

Room Tip: Would ask for a room closest to beach as hotel is a bit back fron the beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

While writing this review this is 3 hours after we left the ríu. First of all it took over an hour from the nearest airport. Next, We asked for adjoining rooms because we have 2 small children who cannot sleep alone we were separated my wife and I had to sleep in seperate rooms. Beds were hard, hallways filled with bugs and moths. Bees by both outside bars.lowest end of liquor you can buy. One man on staff walked into our room without knocking. Buffet has slop for food. Had to make reservations for worst restaurant on property. The reservation restaurant had only late and early seating, moths fly right into your face, steak was like rubber as well as raw/undercooked, waiter disappeared, steak was fatty, was not a family atmosphere as there was beer drinking contest, beer pong, booty shake contest. Not a family atmmosphere by my taste. Mini Mart down the street on the property had chip bags for 10 American Dollars, On the beach sand was not what we expected it was dark as well as the water being murky, overall we as a family would not go to the resort a second time or suggest friends to go.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RiuHotelsandResorts, Social and Community Relations Manager at Hotel Riu Guanacaste, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear guest,

Many thanks for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

We always welcome feedback from our customers, since it gives us the opportunity to make appropriate improvements and changes where necessary.

We regret that your stay at our hotel did not fulfill your conception in general. Our policy is to make every attempt to please and keep our guests content.

Please be assured that we have shared your comments with the respective heads of departments involved and actions would be taken to address all your concerns.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

With our best wishes we remain,
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at the RIU Guanacaste for 4 nights after 7 nights in Playa Hermosa at a time share condo. This resort is Jekyll and Hyde. I will try and go through the different things, so it may be a long review. This is probably my 15th All Inclusive resort, but never a RIU.

Grounds/Looks: Great looking resort and resort grounds. Everything was clean, and always being cleaned.
Rooms: We had a 2 bedroom family room, with 2 bathrooms. Great room, had view of ocean. Refrig. stocked with 2 beers, 2 cokes, 2 large waters, 2 other sodas. Seemed kind of chincy for four people. We did not have the smell in the room.

Pool: Crowded, crowded, and oh yeah crowded. And the let's save the pool chairs early so maybe will sit on them for 15 minutes in the afternoon game. Lots of activities, lots of noise, drinking games, etc. One set of bathrooms to use, and often horrible. Too many people for two bathrooms. I have NEVER seen so many people missing with #2? You are sitting, how could you get it all over the floor? Had to tell management 3 times, bathrooms were horrible.
They did clean right away. Lots of young Costa Rican children(diaper age), in pool, BUT never saw one swim diaper, hmmmm?

Bars/Drinks: Busy, drinks were good. Pushy people trying to push to front of line for drinks. Yes, favoritism given to Spanish speakers, BUT their country so learn to speak Spanish. I don't drink hard liquor except in blender drinks, so quality was not an issue for me. Imperial beer was cold and plentiful.

Restaurants: Can you say buffet? It was decent quality, BUT still buffet. The only sit down meal we had was at the reservation only Ocotel Steakhouse. We had no problem getting reservations, went down at 9 a.m. waited maybe 1 minute, and able to get reservations. We all thought the service and food was very good at Ocotel Steakhouse. They say pants required but not enforced(which angered me, since I packed long pants ONLY because they said it was needed).

Fusion: Asian BUFFET again. Below average, sushi was poor quality.
Italian: Yep, BUFFET. Can order off the menu for main dishes, but buffet for salad/appetizers.
Breakfast buffet: Fine no issues.
**Keep in mind, that you can't order drinks at meals? I have NEVER seen this at ANY all inclusive. No beer, no drinks, just some bad wine. Soft drinks, water, juice only. Can't order any alcoholic drinks? Seemed VERY strange to me? They were very much trying to rush you and rush you out. Hence no coffee offered, etc. All other all inclusive I've been too, try to interact at dinner. Before dinner drinks, appetizers, dinner, after dinner drinks with "coffee" show, etc. NOT HERE!! It's about get in, shove food in, and GET out, out, out!!

I bought wine in Coco Beach and brought a bottle with me for dinners, and that worked well. Seemed strange I had to BYOB at an all inclusive?

SHOWS: bad, bad, cheesy. Unless you get there one hour before show, hard to get seats. Again, one person reserving 10 chairs over an hour ahead of time.

Beach: Good, yes, hot, and dark sand. Went snorkeling from shore to right and saw lots of fish. Had to swim out 100-200 yards. Massages available on beach were good. $30 for one hour.

Monkey Bar: No need to go to bar. Go down to beach where sign is for monkey bar. Go left, walk up about 200-300 yards(past the monkey bar) and you will find a T intersection. Go right and you will see tons of monkeys. We went at 8:30 a.m. and were alone, and already the monkeys were all moving in, so don't think they'd be there later.

LOCALS: yes lots, lots, and lots of locals on friday/saturday/sunday. It's their country, so I don't have an issue, but WOW, Riu needs to limit number of people. Not the locals fault, it's RIU's fault. They are trying to squeeze every dime they can.

Caribe Water Sports: Great. My son(12 years old) did the free dive class in the pool. The instructor said he could do an open ocean dive. FYI: my son is an advanced swimmer, and been in competitions for years. For $99 the next day, He went to a class, had another advanced lesson in pool, than out in the ocean. They let me ride in the boat, and my son went on a one hour open ocean dive 1:1 with the instructor. He loved it, and the instructor was great working with him.

SO, would I stay here again? NOPE. Too many small issues. I like to sit and enjoy meals. Drinks, conversations, family time. You will not get it here. BUT I got what I paid for. Next time will pay more for Hilton or Palace.

I also found a man for private tours: I stopped him in Playa Hermosa to ask questions, and he ended up doing all my tours: He's licensed, has a nice Turista Van. I used him for 3 tours, cabs to Coco Beach, and Airport transfers. I had already priced out everything with Mardigi Tours, and his initial quote was about 20% cheaper, so I did not even bargain. All his tours were private. His name was Mario, and if you want his number or e-mail, just message me, and I'll send it to you. He was great, he even called my cell phone(international call for him) to confirm my pick up to go to airport. Using him saved me $200-$300 than using Mardigi, and all my transfers were private.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I recently spent a week here on my honeymoon. The property is nice, the staff are friendly and efficient, and the quality of food available was surprising. (The sushi and blackened marlin were my favorites.)

We had a 5th floor room with an ocean view, and the sunsets from our balcony were utterly amazing. If you want to be able to pour a few tall rum and Cokes with your sweetheart and see some astounding scenery, get an ocean view up high.

A few issues with the room, though. First and foremost was the peculiar smell. Our room constantly smelled like perm chemicals. As in the stuff they use to give someone's hair a perm. If you've ever wandered past a hair salon, you've probably smelled it before. I suspect it was tied to whatever cleaning agents or toilet bowl additives they use in the restroom. Regardless, it was not pleasant, though we did get used to it after a few days and it wasn't strong enough to make us sick.

The bathtub in our room was also of poor design. The granite trim around the tub wasn't leveled properly, and actually channeled all water spray around behind the curtain and onto the floor of the bathroom, causing a small flood. Not a huge problem, but a simple one to fix. Simply add a couple of trim pieces on the sides to direct the water back down into the tub.

One of the days we were there housekeeping forgot to clean our room (and restock towels and such) despite the "Please clean our room" sign on the door. We had to call the front desk to remedy the problem. I know it sounds nit-picky, but that's the point of these reviews. Extra details to fine tune your vacation.

The on-site doctor does not have Band-Aids. It should be expected, in my opinion, that a resort within an ecotourism hotspot like Costa Rica would have a Band-Aid or two available for its guests. After days of hiking, swimming, and walking, the occasional bad blister is going to rear its head. You have to walk out of the resort and down the street to the small on-site general store if you need them, and they cost $4. (Hey, sunblock is $30, so don't forget that, either.)

The variety shows at Pura Vida are absolutely terrible. I know, I know. After the sun goes down and it's pitch black outside, we need SOMETHING to keep us occupied until we pass out from too much rum. We can't exactly go walking through the jungle.

But my God, the variety shows were worse than any eastern European spectacle I've ever seen. I don't need to see a bunch of hispanic people clumisly performing Grease for crying out loud. I don't need a Michael Jackson tribute show. And I get it - white people from America suck at speaking Spanish. Do we really need to call a few on stage every night and laugh at them? How about some genuine Costa Rican music, or maybe a talent contest? It was just painful to watch. We usually ended up down by the beach anyway, just to get away from it all. With or without flashlights to see where we were going.

Which brings me to the central pool area. I went to Costa Rica to relax and escape. I ended up at a resort, which, while nice, churned out fist-pumping Spring Break music at full blast during the middle of the day. Some people want that. The intoxicated twenty-somethings that were bussed in shortly after our arrival sure seemed to. I think I saw Pauly D. It was just a shame, though. The serenity of the remote location and beautiful beach were in stark contrast to what unfolded at the resort everyday. If someone had hit the pause button every now and then we could have probably heard the howler monkeys nearby.

And now I know. It could have been great, and parts of it were. The rest was too nightclubby and Spring Breaky for me.

Room Tip: If you want sunsets, get an ocean view. The higher the better. You will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver,Co
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

First of all, my wife, 8year old Grandaughter, and I just returned from a week at the Riu. We stayed there from 6/15 - 6/22. We had a wonderful time and highly recommend this hotel.

We arrived at 2:00 on a Saturday afternoon and check in was quick and easy and our room was ready. The front desk was efficient and friendly.

I have to say that this is the cleanest property we have seen by far. Always somebody cleaning, painting, or scrubbing everything from the elevator walls to the lattice work above the pool chairs !!

ROOMS

Our room was on the 5th floor facing the jungle side. We read a lot about the monkees in the morning but never did hear them. Maybe you have to sleep with the door open, I don't know. The room was of adequate size, A/C worked great and housekeeping was very efficient. We did see some other rooms that people we met were staying in and the ones on the end of the building facing the ocean had an incredible view. I think they are family suites, and from what I understand, it cost $ 80/night to upgrade to these. Pillows awful.

POOL

The pool is very large and has a lot of bridges etc. which gives it a lot of character. There are beds in the water and the water was very warm. On Saturday afternoon the pool was packed with the weekenders and the area around the pool bar was a bit overwhelming although you still could get a drink pretty easily. Just a lot of people having a good time, not a problem. About half way through the day on Sunday the whole property slowed down and there was a nice size crowd. Plenty of poolside chairs always available.

FOOD

I am a very picky eater and found the food to be very good. The buffet, although very crowded on the weekend, was well stocked with a good variety and we had no complaints about either the quality or quantity. We ate in the Italian restaurant twice and were quite pleased. We ate in the steak house once and were very pleasantly surprised after some of the reviews we read. The Filet special was good even though I think the sirloin that others had even was better. A very limited menu and other than picking your steak, everybody gets the same. A nice Baked Alaska presentation for a B-day at our table. Did not try the Asian or Costa Rica restaurant lthough we obtained a decent bottle of wine from the Costa Rican restaurant which strangely, can only be obtained there.

BARS

Including the sports bar, there are 4 bars within 100 yards of each other. One opens at 10:00 and the other two at @ 5:00. Sports bar is 24 hours and is a good place for a cappucino in the morning. Never anyone there ! Very easy to get a drink before dinne and during the shows. Don't expect table service except at the Filadelfia bar. Just get it yourself. No problem. The bartenders at the pool bar are very distant and just not very friendly or willing to just visit with you. They are efficient enough that you don't go thirsty but just not that friendly. Not a requirement on their part !!

SERVICE

The service is what you should expect from an all inclusive. Very unpredictable and not great. It was, however, much better than other places we've been in the specialty restaurants. Most of the time, evrything but the entree is self service and that speeds things up. Service at the buffet is very limited and you definitely get better service inside. If you sit outside in the morning, getting coffee is about it. This didn't bother us at all because when you eat this much, a walk is good for you. Would rather have good food than good service, which we did !!

CASINO

Very quiet !! There are a couple of blackjack tables, 2 Roulette tables, and approx. 40 slots. There is a $10 minimum at the tables which should be lowered and maybe more people would play.

TOURS

The good deals for tours are available at the Beach. We dealt with Allen and Eric who wear the Orange shirts. You can wheel and deal quite a bit to get the prices lowered. We went on the Buena Vista tour and because there was 11 of us, we got to stay as long and make extra stops as we wanted. Pedro was a great guide.
We also took the 4 hour ATV tour through Alex on the Beach in the white shirt. His price was the best and was really really fun.
These guys all approach you but are not pushy and you can just say no gracias !!
We were warned about the tour guys on the beach on our bus ride to the hotel. Can't remember the name of this group. I think they probably get something back from the hotel for pushing the hotel sponsored tours. Business is business I guess but we felt very safe and in good hands wih Alex and Eric !!

BEACH

The beach is very quiet and relaxing. Very few people there at anytime and plenty of chairs. Don't go barefoot as the black sand gets very hot ! Warm weather and a few shells, crabs, to look at. If you snorkel, go off to the right around the rocks and it was OK. The Monkee Bar up the beach was interesting but a disappontment as the Monkeys were all asleep at 3:00 PM. All in all, very strange. DO NOT go there without bug spray !!

KIDS CLUB

The kids club seems to be for very small children and not much activity at all.

ENTERTAINMENT

Nightly shows about what you should expect. They try very hard and they are generally OK but nothing too exciting. A way to kill some time at night.
Daytime entertainment staff work very hard and do a good job. JJ 69 very funny and fun to talk to.

Newton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We are still here and vacationing as a family but this is not what we expected. When we booked we were told it was a low season, in which we like to travel so the resort is not as crowded. What we were not informed of was that each weekend here they are packed to capacity with locals taking advantage of the all inclusive. The locals were not a problem as they were wonderful people but it was like being at an over crowded water park with food, drinks and tons of people all over the place. The property was fairly clean however the people who worked here were kind and wonderful. We usually travel to Club Meds and the rooms, service, and quality are overall better for families with children. My children did not need to see a beer chugging contest at the pool at 4:00 on a Saturday. Not awful but would pay a bit more to stay next door at the Riu Palace where it is a bit more upscale...not suggested as an option fur us when we booked.

Room Tip: Large hotel so stay close to the activities if you don't want to do too much walking
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Guanacaste? Share your experiences!