“Riu hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Guanacaste

You added Hotel Riu Guanacaste to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   | Playa Matapalo, Sardinal, Costa Rica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sardinal
Tampa, Florida
“Riu hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

It was a very nice hotel great room great food and great service but you have to pay 40 US dollars
For Internet and then it does not even work well the pool was great and the beach was cool to there is lizards all over the place they are cool you get a free chance to go scuba diving in the pool witch was fun I really liked how in every room you had a safe loved that and the food and the drinks are all FREE at this hotel so overall it was pretty cool

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,158)
Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Overall a good place to visit. The food is OK, but not what I would expect from this type of resort. Drinks are again OK, but not very strong. The staff is good, and we appreciated their effort. We expected a lot more from the reviews we read about other Riu properties. We had a fun trip. Get out from the hotel and see some of the other beaches around Costa Rica.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I and our friends stayed at this hotel from April 20th till the 27th. The view was amazing, the staff was always polite and helpful. There always was someone cleaning something all day the resort was so clean!!!!! Our room was fine we had a basic room but didn't spend much time in it. The bartenders were a lot of fun Randall,Rocky, Edward,and only Larry were great just to name a few. Make sure to bring an insulated cup to keep your drinks cold and the bugs out. They have no problem filling them however large they are. The food at the buffet was very good with a large selection.there were only a few complaints we had gone with friends and they had upgraded the to the palace because they over booked the hotel with locals. They were unable to fix this till the next day,when people checked out but they had to check out of your room then wait till 3 to check into their new room. They should give a list of the days each of the separate restaurants were closed so you could go and not be surprised they were closed that day. They tell you reservations needed at the steak house but they neglect to tell you to go to the others early to put your name in because they only have so many settings and once those are filled you are out of luck. In general we had an amazing week we booked with Mauricio on the beach all of our tours, combo, atvs ,massages and boat ride to Coco beach all were amazing we especially liked Imer who was our guide for the combo day.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed at the RIU March 11-18. We were two adults and a 6 mos baby.
Rooms were comfortable and clean. They provided us with a pack n' play for the baby and it was in good shape. The staff LOVED the baby and he was known by all the staff. We normally ate in the main buffet for dinner, but one night we went to a specialty buffet (no reservations required for these) and one of the servers made a point to come over from the main buffet to say hi to the baby :) The Asian buffet is delicious!!!!!!
The pool is very big and never felt crowded. The beach is rocky and not many people chose to sit on the beach, therefore there were lots of chairs to choose from. You could walk along the beach for quite a while which was nice.
If you went to the beach (Monkey Bar) before the sun came up (5am-ish) or at dusk (6pm-ish) you could see monkeys in the trees!
The only other hotel in this bay was the other RIU.
Near the end of our trip there was some major brush fire along the mountains nearby. None of the staff seemed concerned about this since it was dry season and very common. Since we are not used to this, we kept our eye on the fire just to make sure it wasn't getting closer. One night there was lots of ash being blown around the resort.
Staff and management are very friendly and approachable. It's clear that they work had to make sure their guests are happy. For example, one day someone lost their pool towes (normally you are charged extra for this) but the manager didn't hesitate to give him a new one without charge. Little things like that appreciated.
My only complaint was that they were often late cleaning the rooms or sometimes the room wasn't cleaned at all. Since we had a baby we needed the room for his afternoon nap and sometimes they were in there cleaning at that time. So slighly annoying, but hardly a major complaint.
We never had any problems with getting chairs, using the elevator or getting service at the bar or restaurant.
I would definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I just got back from staying here on a girls trip- we are in our 30's. I have stayed at a dozen all inclusive resorts, and this is the best service I have experienced. Everyone from the front desk (Jaison) entertainment (Lily) bartenders Rocky and Gerald to the maid service and photographers were friendly and helpful all the time. The rooms could use an update but why go to Costa Rica to stay in your room? The food was decent, what you expect from an all inclusive. The Tucan had a hip atmosphere and the Italian restaurant was excellent with no reservation. (You only need a reservation for the steak house). We did the Congo Trail zip line and had a blast and saw about 20 howler monkeys! We also booked a private tour day trip to arenal valcano and Tubacon hot springs through CAT tours in the lobby, our guide Carlos was very knowledgable and although it was a 3.5 hour drive it was well worth the $153 we each paid for lunch dinner, hike at base of volcano, Tubacon hot springs and dinner. We booked through Scuba Caribe a catamaran snorkel trip at sunset that was beautiful. The grounds are clean and the pool area is awesome but get out and enjoy the beach. Scuba Caribe loans out kayaks, paddle boats, stand up paddle boards and snorkel gear. Watch out for the jelly fish in the ocean and the beach. There are a lot of inebriated people at the pool that were very obnoxious- one guy had been there for 5 days and hadn't even walked down to the ocean( or the restroom I assume) also at other resorts I have been hassled on the beach by people selling jewelry, tours and hats/ t shirts, this was not the case here, reps were available but for you to seek them out, not the other way around. I have stayed at other places that tipping was expected and I didn't feel that way here- we would leave a few dollars here and there... We were 4 cousins on a girls trip and felt very safe here. I would recommend to stay here.

West Islip, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My Fiance and I along with 2 other couples just got back from a 1 week vacation and we could not have been happier. This was the first time we vacationed at an All Inclusive Resort and we highly recommend the Riu Guanacaste to everyone. The minute we arrived we were greeted with a cold drink (they should add a little rum in the future) which totally hit the spot after a long flight and ride to the hotel.
Checking in was a breeze, Mike was very pleasant and even changed our rooms around to make sure that our rooms were next to each other.
the food was very good and we all loved hte different choices. Entertainment was excellent as well. We all enjoyed going to see the shows every night, out favorite was Grease.
Kiara, Angie, Prince and Otto were excellent. I cannot wait till I go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Trip Advisor
So I stayed at the riu guanacaste April 18 to the 23 2013 and I was dissatisfied with many things at this resort .. Don't know where to start but here I go... First I checked in which Rebecca who is a liar and told her at the front desk I'm here on my HONEYMOON so they promised me a plate of fruit and a bottle of wine ?? I said ru kidding me I have plenty of liquor and fruits its all inclusive but believe it or not they never brought the wine to my room at all they did bring the plate of Fruits big deal ... If you stay poolside at the swim up bar make sure you bring bee repellent or bee sting stick cause there's 100's buzzing around the bar along with dragonflies unreal they are by the area called Santa Cruz for real not joking around. My wife carried her epi pen the entire time .. They should call it the bee hive bar ... Then at this riu there's is no room service at all so if your hungry starve till the next morn or you can go to there sports bar which is open late that serves prison sandwiches out of a refrig that are cold and nasty and o yea they have nachos too what the heck .. Most hotels have wifi but this place is all about there scamming ways of making money they offer you free wifi for 90 min a day only in the lobby of the hotel so you can't enjoy your mobile devices in your room unless you pay for wifi service some nonsense this is .... There's no taxis you can take after 11pm to leave the resort so your screwed staying there .. The casino was a joke it was the smallest one I've seen anywhere I walked in one door and walked out the next waste of time ... The pool was great the water nice they keep them clean but we had some young jerks come over from riu palace which is allowed who started acting like animals in the pool and the riu staff allowed it which we were all shocked and upset instead of kicking them out ... One of these kids stole my sandals till I caught his a^# I'm on vacation to relax not to be a watchguard smdh ... The food overall was crap .. I'm not a picky eater .. My stomach is made of rocks and can deal with most food I eat but the food at this resort was for FIDO LOL. Dog food ... I stayed at riu in cancun food was great .... The beach sand is dirty you won't enjoy it unless your wearing shoes on I didn't stay once on it .. Pool everyday ... The one elevator in the hotel is insane with like 700 rooms they need a staff only elevator cause the cleaning crew and there big carts were in the way several times .... Drinks are good if you find the right bartender who's good at making them its hit or miss ....look for GERALD OR ALBERTO THEY ARE GREAT BARTENDERS... My wife and I recommend an excursion we booked on the beach with frank includes zip lining , horseback riding , water rapid tubing, lunch at a nice place where I had the best food the entire trip then to the hot springs THIS EXCURSION WAS INCREDIBLE AND WORTH EVERY PENNY BOOK IT IF YOU CAN cost was 135 US dollars you can't beat it all day 7am till 6pm awesome day .... Just BEWARE they will try and sell you photos and a video for 40 dollars at the excursion on a cd when I arrived home there is no video your better off taking your own pics plus they give you the cd when you far away from the photo area at the end of your excursion so there's no way of testing this cd out so yes THEY GOT ME FOR 40 o well ..... Well with all that said my wife and I met some cool couples that we are in touch with and yes I'd go back instead of being back at work and in NY. LOL GOOD LUCK PPL

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Hotel Riu Guanacaste? Share your experiences!