“Monkeys and turtles and iguanas ..oh my!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Guanacaste

You added Hotel Riu Guanacaste to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   | Playa Matapalo, Sardinal, Costa Rica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sardinal
Ontario
“Monkeys and turtles and iguanas ..oh my!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

|Fabulous Property /Wonderful food/Top shelf Staff and impeccable Housekeeping /beautiful country/incredibly friendly people/|Perfect weather.....Stayed Jan 20 for 10 days. Very happy with the 10 day stay as it allowed relax time and a few excursions. Zip line and Mud Baths a must..kinda a fusion between adrenaline and serotonin...and not Drug or alcohol induced ...You can get high just on the experience.( pun intended about the Zip Lines ) Nature tour on the river gave us a first hand look at Crocs/White face monkeys and Birds...I said Hi to the Herons that I see near my home in Ontario Canada .... they are no fools and get their feathery butts to Costa Rica in the winter...without the airport....amazing that I may see a few of them this summer ..I will be sure to ask them this time how they enjoyed their vacation.lol
...Beach was fabulous..waves by noon were HUGE we got tossed around like kids body surfing and laughed like kids as well. Took our chairs near the turtle cages and under the trees the parakeets sat in every day...and best experience was the iguanas who were under our chairs licking their lips who wouldn't shoo away...5 minutes later the sand moved and dozens of baby sea turtles were digging their way to the surface and out to the ocean...the iguanas knew it was lunchtime...as well as the amazing diving of the pelicans...they made their way to get taken away by the surf...I wont forget that anytime soon.
Big thank yous
1. to the |Scuba shop and Jesus....great instruction and the promise of seeing Seahorses..I lost it in the ocean. just couldn't get my head together.first timer... but will try again. He was an angel with a heartfelt hug.
2. |Gerry Rivera ( Gerry with a "G") Public relations at the Riu...always seemed to cross paths at the resort and couldn't do enough for the 3 ladies at the fountain every night. Look carefully at Caribbean night on the street, he plays in the band as well...a man of many talents.
3. The bar staff at the Pura Vida Bar...inside. My quest for an Irish Coffee at night with no Irish whiskey on hand was handled artfully with a layered Macchiato|( Best Coffee anywhere !) with Irish Mist and a dram of single malt...not quite Irish, but my fave for my bedtime treat the rest of the stay. Michael was the man to ask for.
4.Tours while you are there? lots of talk about the value of the guys on the beach..all good very friendly and cheaper /we took one..had a moment of feeling a bit vulnerable when the van broke down and we waited for a car at the side of the road...all ended up well.. but if I was doing it again ...Tours by Hotelbeds at the lobby...TONY ..professional/ engaging/informative/bi lingual|( French and English)/personable... ..a very enjoyable day.
Costa Rica is too big to do just once...Riu Gunacaste was the right choice...The Riu Palace next door very new/ very eco friendly...glassed in lobby... but felt like a Hotel in NYC
Its all about the nature ..look for the Howlers at lunchtime on the side of the Pool Bar/ and kidsClub, they should be hanging out under the trees with the white spider flowers that fall off and float they look like the ones from the movie Avitar.

Room Tip: after a day of Beach and nature...you cant make a bad choice. Clean comfortable Beach or Jungle its...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,160)
killeen, tx
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I should've reviewed this place months ago when I got back but wanted to take a few months to cool off. I will never stay at another RIU again. This place had the worst food and the worst accomodations I've ever seen. The mattresses were unbelievably hard. It was impossible to get good sleep. The fact that there was a huge stage with giant speakers 2 floors below my room didn't help. The noise, I mean the show went well into midnight. It was ipossible to relax, or get room service unless I personally hunted down a maid (who don't speak English). Two days after we got there, there was 7.2 earthquake, at which point the food and alcohol stopped. The hotel had no plan, but in their greed, they did keep taking new customers even though they couldn't accompany the current ones. The only thing we were told was to sleep outside, which we weren't doing because it was 90 degrees with full humidity and the mosquitos were biting anything in sight. Workers were called in the next day and all they did was patch things up which I can't imagine anyone staying there upon knowing this. This place was hit pretty hard and will need a whole lot more than a patch jon. I can go on and on about how awful this place was but I'll skip to when we got home and contacted RIU. For ruining my vacation, we got a $200 voucher which I will never use because I will never stay at another RIU again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We first stayed at this resort in August 2010 and had a truly wonderful stay. It was the rainy (or "green") season and everything was very green and lush. This time (February 2013) we were disappointed to see everything so dead and brown. But that is just the way the seasons are in this part of the world.

The GOOD things about this RIU:
Very large pool, very large buffets, nice landscaping, always chairs available at the pool, some accommodating/personable staff, grand lobby, kids activities

The disappointing parts of our vacation:
Yes, the room smelled of sewage for about half the week. My husband speculates that they are using recycled (or 'gray') water, which is very eco-friendly, but very stinky. Apparently. No amount of keeping the bathroom door closed or toilet lid down helped. Also, the room was clean but all of the bedsheets and especially the comforters were stained. The beds are hard and the pillows are very thin. No matter how much of a tip we left, we always got three bath towels and two handtowels (for four of us). Our waschloths disappeared after the first day. And the towels are very, very scratchy.

Free Wi-Fi did not work on my iPhone 4 out of 6 days. Not sure why they even bother offering it.

The food. I felt like I was going into battle every time we entered a buffet. There is a ton of food to be had, but by the 5th and 6th days of our stay, I admit that I wandered aimlessly for awhile because I just couldn't find anything I wanted to eat. The problem is further compounded by all the other people hunting, mesmerized by the sea of food. On several occasions, people grabbed serving utensils out of my hand b/c they didn't bother looking to see that there was a line for that particular station or dish. And by the end of the week it becomes evident that the kitchen uses lots of leftovers, over and over. Steak from the dinner becomes steak for fajitas at lunch and then whatever is left over becomes some sort of saute with plantains and carrots and olives for dinner again and on and on... My husband couldn't get enough of the rice beans and endless array of meats available. My favorite part was the fruit.

If you have small children, you should know:

There were not a lot of families with young children. The average age I would guess is about 50-ish. Most people are nice to you/your kids. Some are indifferent. A few are annoyed. There is general peaceful coexistence, but not a lot of little playmates.

There is a kids club with a small (2 foot deep) pool that anyone can use (you don't have to sign up for the club). The ladies who staff the club are generally nice and they organized various activities (pinata party, movie night) that my children really enjoyed. However, do not think that this is babysitting. You are required to be with your children at all times unless they are officially signed up with the club. Or you are a native Costa Rican family who knows somebody whose neighbor's niece's husband works at the RIU and you are there for the weekend. The nightly kids show on the main stage was a big hit with our kids.

The pool bar end got very, very rowdy everyday, starting at 10:30 am with loud, uncensored music. Didn't really mind it for awhile, but after hours of listening to thumping techno/dance and/or someone yelling gibberish (in Spanish 90% of the time), the gentle sound of the ocean was welcome. We have been to many all-inclusive resorts and I've never seen people so serious about drinking! The afternoon games seem to involve lots of pelvic thrusting, sexual innuendoes, and more alcohol. Ten years and two kids ago, I wouldn't care. But now I have to answer to a curious preschooler and we just don't remember this resort being this way a few years ago.

The best parts of our vacation:

The photographers! We took home many great pictures and really enjoyed getting to know the young adults working for Foto Tropical de Costa Rica. They all seem to be from different countries in Central and South America and were eager to tell us of their homelands and travels.

The excursion to Palo Verde National Park and surrounding areas with Memo Adventures. Memo himself took us on a private tour and we had a great day with total comfort and flexibility. Saw lots of monkey and crocodiles and had the best lunch. Memo also arranged for my husband to take the day trip to Nicaragua, which he thoroughly enjoyed.

Can't wait to get back to Costa Rica! Will stay somewhere other than the RIU Guanacaste!

Room Tip: Both times we have stayed on the "mountain" side and have been happy with the view and noi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed here Feb. 2nd -9th 2013 for our honeymoon. We stayed in a suite on the 2nd floor, which was large and had a balcony facing the pool and ocean, with a few palm trees shading our balcony and providing us with some privacy. We loved it! We spent much of our time at the pool and the pool bar. The atmosphere was definitely spring break like, in the sense that there was a lot of music and activity, but we got the opportunity to meet a lot of people at the pool. At the beach, they offer free snorkeling, kayaking, water surfing and scuba diving. My husband took advantage of the snorkeling and kayaking and noted that the staff there were not very polite. When you walk to the beach, you get a lot of offers from the locals about excursions, souvenirs and massages, but they are not too pushy if you turn them down. The drinks were good, you have to ask for more than the well liquor, but they'll give it to you. The food was also good, the asian restaurant being our favorite. You need a reservation a day in advance for the steakhouse and tucan restaurant, but it wasn't a problem reserving. We went on one excursion, the mega combo, through swiss travel, which was fun---they have a desk at the resort. We also went for massages at the spa, which were expensive but worth it. The rooms smell musty and the bathroom smells a little strange because of the way they run the water, but those are minor concerns. One thing to remember...turn in your pool towel cards when you check out! We didn't have our cards because the towel stand would close before we got to it, so they were going to charge us $20 a towel. Overall, I would definitely recommend this place!

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner suite with ocean views...totally worth it! We didn't experience the loud n...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
middle lake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed at the Riu Guanacaste Jan. 21-28 of 2013.The Riu is a very beautiful hotel itself and to add the the well looked after grounds,makes it even more beautiful.Everything was fantastic,the food,the drinks,the service and the housekeeping.We tried all the restaurants and all were yummy.At the bars,they will make you any drink you want,from a Canadian Ceasar to an American Long Island Iced Tea.My husband says that in all the places we have been to on holidays, this place makes the best drinks.He also says to try and get a senior bartender,the ones wearing the black vests,they make them the best.I am not a fancy pants person and do not like to be catered to,so I prefer to eat at the buffet.I just love to see all the food choices I can choose from.Honestly, if someone complains about the food here at the hotel,they are jerks and should go back where they came from.The rooms are very nice,modern furniture,good layout and the bathroom is spacious with double sinks.The mini bar was always well stocked.Our room faced the brand new riu palace and partial oceanview.Shopping was done on the right side of the beach hotel,the locals,good prices and some really beautiful wood products.For tours we went thru COSTA RICA AMAZING TOURS BY ALEX AND SERJIO.We did 3 trips with them.Quading the coastline,ziplining at mont verde with butterfly,hummingbird farm tours and lunch included and also the palo verde riverboat tour.We enjoyed all of it,lotsa fun,very good tour guides.These guys are right on the beach of the riu hotel to book and another thing to remember when you book with these guys, its just whoever is in your group, thats all thats going along,its a private tour,this was what we really liked,more of a personal tour,not a big group of people and they will stop wherever you want along the way.Our drivers were Juan and Paulo. (hope I spelled your names right)From Serjio, the man we booked with at the beach to our drivers Juan and Paulo,what a bunch of great guys from this company.They are so friendly and knowledgable about their country.I am glad you do what you are doing, because you represent your country so very well.We also booked this company for our airport shuttles and they are very reliable and on time.There is lots of turtle action on this beach.In our early morning beach walks,we would see mother turtle tracks coming from the ocean at nite to lay her eggs on the beach.One morning as we were coming back from our beach walk a security guard showed us a tubful of baby turtles that hatched that morning.My husband even saw one dig itself out of the sand,so a hotel employee starts digging to help them out.For us canucks that is pretty amazing stuff to see.lots of monkeys around the hotel trees to.The only complaint I have about this place is that darn Pacific ocean took my husbands glasses one day and the next day mine.Luckily we each brought an extra old pair along!!! In ending Costa Rica is a very beautiful country,lots of natural beauty and wildlife.The people are friendly and welcoming,the weather was fantastic,lots of good food and drinks.What more can anyone ask for on a holiday?Thank you Riu Guanacaste and Costa Rica for the wonderful memories.We had fun.

Room Tip: waves can get very strong,take your glasses off before entering water
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I had an amazing time at Riu Guanacaste. Check in and check out was a breeze, efficient and fast. Gorgeous lobby, nice bars and grounds.

The beach-darker sand like others said. It's not like the white sand and completely turquoise water of the Caribbean, but that's because it's the Pacific. And typically you go to Costa Rica for the adventure and sight seeing. Fun waves some days. Beautiful water and surrounded by mountains. Most people hung out at pool-not sure why, how often do you get to lay on the beach like that?

Food-delicious! The steakhouse and sushi was fantastic. The odd gross food you'd pick, but you get that at any buffet. Delicious fresh fruit. I couldn't get enough of the mangoes and melons. And the guacamole- yummmm.

Rooms- Nice decor, nice room-alcohol and fridge replenished daily, big bed-was kind of firm but had great sleeps and this isn't something that bothered us, we had plenty of room! two sinks. Balcony overlooked the ocean, we had a great view.

Service-everyone was nice and happy to accommodate, no rude workers at all. Especially nice at the A La Carte. It was also very easy to get reservations. Some people lined up at 9 am and we just breezed on over later in the day and got reservations for the following night! Easy as pie.

Entertainment- was great, talented dancers, gets the audience involved. Michael Jackson show was my favourite.

One day we rented a jeep for our own adventure. You must get a 4x4 if you plan to drive on the backroads! I don't see how a small car would have made it. 86 bucks for the day (US) and ten dollars for a GPS-totally necessary. The cars are standards and the roads are terrible (bumpy and a lot of large gouges) but manageable with a 4x4. We went down the cost stopping at beautiful beaches and surfed at Tamarindo Beach. Some really amazing and private spots. Thrifty rental should be open earlier than 7:30 am though. Some people want an earlier start and we had to chase them down to return the car before our next tour left at 7:30 am. Was a bit stressful but worked out fine. Also ran out of maps, renting a car with no map? Kind of problematic.

We also did the Adrenaline Adventure tour with Hotelbeds. Well worth the money. We loved it (horseback ride, ziplining, tubing down rapids, rappelling, mud bath and volcanic hot springs. Yummy lunch too. Fantastic). Our guide, Alejandra was also great, very friendly. We also did the rainforest and waterfall safari with the same company. Beautiful lush forest and waterfall, mud and springs, but we felt it was very overpriced. We paid the same price as the adrenaline tour and got so much less for the price. We could have rented a car for a second day and gone to all the sights ourselves for half the price- so keep that in mind. The guide was a vulture looking for tips at the end. A lot of people on our tour were a bit irritating and whiny, so it didn't help. We did however, see a rare white hawk, a sloth, many many monkeys throughout the trip, and toucans! Also many large lizards.

ATVenture was good too-saw a gorgeous beach (one of the best we saw the whole trip) and ATVing was a blast-guide was a bit chauvinistic and not that friendly unfortunately.

Weak points: Power went out a couple times one night-not a big deal, that stuff happens. Elevator broke down one day and they still hadn't fixed it by the time we departed the next day and had to drag our suitcases down. We really go with the flow so it wasn't too bad. We're not negative. A lot of people at this resort were older and a bit snobby (fuddy duddy's) so if you read really negative reviews, that's why.

Could use a beach bar like someone else said here-had to walk all the way to pool for a drink, but this is being picky. Overpriced souvenirs too, the vendors didn't really seem up to bargaining but we didn't try too hard.

Also could use a late night snack bar. After dinner, there was nothing. And beach party! Why do resorts never have beach parties? Set up some lights, music and get a little mingling and dancing on the beach listening to the roaring ocean.

Sunwing- great flight, pretty good food, complimentary wine and champagne going there, crappy movies playing though. Signature vacations didn't have our names written down on the list going to and from the resort. That was a bit nervewracking, but we did have rooms. Still. Even though we booked only a couple days before, they should have updated their lists right up to the day before.

Liberia airport- RIDICULOUSLY overpriced. Ten dollars for a bag of Doritos smaller than the size you get at home. For one wrap and an m&m cookie was 20 dollars US but we paid because we were hungry and had a long wait until our flight. Talk about ripping off hungry tourists. They also raised the price of the departure tax the day before our flight from $28 US to $29. Not a huge deal, but kind of lame. Also should have had signs saying you can't bring shells to your country. Ours and some other peoples gorgeous shells we had collected were confiscated. A real bummer.

We had such an amazing time. Soo much fun. I simply adored this beautiful country and loved the resort too. One of the nicest ones I've been to.

Any questions? Ask me :)

Room Tip: We asked for an oceanview and got it :) I think you can hear the entertainment no matter where yo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Perry, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I got married here on January 26th, 2013, with 60 guests ranging in age from 2-90. Everyone had an amazing time!

There were some issues with some of the rooms upon arrival but there were all corrected to everyone’s satisfaction.

Everyone enjoyed the food including those with restricted diets. The buffet had a huge variety and I was not able to try everything I wanted to during my stay. The week we went reservations were not required for a la carte dinners at the Asian and Italian restaurants and we had no problems making reservations for large groups at the steak and toucan restaurants.

We really enjoyed the entertainment by the pool and on several occasions we took part in the fun. The staff did a great job at keeping everyone entertained. We were always able to find chairs by the pool or by the beach as well. The beach is beautiful, the dark sand can burn your feet so do take caution and always have your shoes handy. The water was quite rough and not ideal for swimming several days that we were there but who cares when the pool is so big and fantastic! The nightly entertainment was excellent and we also had fun at the disco.

I found the staff at this resort to be amazing. They are honest and hardworking people who only want you to have a great time in their country. We had one guest lose their wallet upon arrival. It was turned into the front desk with every dollar in it. We also had other valuables lost and recovered as well.

We did several excursions through Hotel Beds, an official hotel provider, and we were happy with all of the excursions they arranged for us. They arranged three private tours the Palo Verde boat tour where we saw tons of wildlife, the Buena vista combo tour which was a blast, and a catamaran tour. They were all fantastic tours and everyone had a great time. The Hotel Bed guides were excellent! They were very informative and willing to answer any questions our group had about Costa Rica. We had Atell take us on the Palo Verde tour and Hugo for the Buna Vista Combo tour. They were very accommodating and they went above and beyond for our group.

We had four people in our group use the diving services offered through the hotel. Unfortunately they did not have a positive experience due to the waters belong too rough and poor assistance from the guide. I would recommend doing your research before diving and perhaps consider researching diving options in the nearby town of Coco beach rather than the official hotel provider.

As a bride I was always searching for reviews on destination weddings at the resort so here’s what I have to say about our amazing destination wedding.

Upon check in we were not provided with an upgraded room which we were supposed to receive (subject to availability). We attempted to receive the upgrade but I was informed that the upgrade would be $130 a night! Thankfully I ran into the sub director Ricardo the second day of our stay in the hallway outside of our standard room. He asked how the room was, I mentioned that we did not have the upgrade and we were immediately upgraded to a BEAUTIFUL suite. Thanks Ricardo the suite was incredible.

We used the spa on site to have our hair done. Unfortunately the spa was not able to accommodate our large group as there were two other weddings also using the spa services that day. I would suggest booking well in advance to ensure you get the services and times that you want. I did a hair trial before the wedding which was great; I loved my hair and received many compliments. The hairdresser did not speak much English but a translator was available. Unfortunately two of my bridesmaids did not receive good hairstyles and they ended up re-doing their hair. I would suggest bringing pictures and ensuring that the translator is present when the style is discussed with the hairdresser. We were prepared with styling tools and some of the guests pitched in to re-style their hair. In the end their hairstyles looked great and the other two bridesmaids and my mother’s hairstyles done at the spa turned out great as well.

We were married on the beach at 2:00. The ceremony was beautiful! The staff even brought down a tray of beer to serve after the ceremony as many of the guests preferred beer over Champaign. We used Sylvia Guardia as the wedding photographer. I yet to receive her pictures but I’m sure they are going to turn out great. Her website is www.sylviaguardia.com if you would like to check out her work.

We had dinner at 6:15 at the steakhouse. The food and service was excellent! Everything was so good that 35 of the guests returned our last night to eat there again! We had a private reception at the terrace which was excellent as well. We used Jose from Show Dreams which is the DJ offered by the resort. He was great! A true professional and we were very happy with him. The decor in the terrace and restaurant was beautiful. Our wedding color was incorporated into the decor in the restaurant and in the terrace which was an unexpected nice touch and was above and beyond what was required of the resort. We partied well into the night and great time was had by all! The wedding coordinators were great. The wedding was better than I could have dreamed of.

Thank you Riu Guanacaste!

Room Tip: The suite is amazing!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Guanacaste? Share your experiences!