|Fabulous Property /Wonderful food/Top shelf Staff and impeccable Housekeeping /beautiful country/incredibly friendly people/|Perfect weather.....Stayed Jan 20 for 10 days. Very happy with the 10 day stay as it allowed relax time and a few excursions. Zip line and Mud Baths a must..kinda a fusion between adrenaline and serotonin...and not Drug or alcohol induced ...You can get high just on the experience.( pun intended about the Zip Lines ) Nature tour on the river gave us a first hand look at Crocs/White face monkeys and Birds...I said Hi to the Herons that I see near my home in Ontario Canada .... they are no fools and get their feathery butts to Costa Rica in the winter...without the airport....amazing that I may see a few of them this summer ..I will be sure to ask them this time how they enjoyed their vacation.lol
...Beach was fabulous..waves by noon were HUGE we got tossed around like kids body surfing and laughed like kids as well. Took our chairs near the turtle cages and under the trees the parakeets sat in every day...and best experience was the iguanas who were under our chairs licking their lips who wouldn't shoo away...5 minutes later the sand moved and dozens of baby sea turtles were digging their way to the surface and out to the ocean...the iguanas knew it was lunchtime...as well as the amazing diving of the pelicans...they made their way to get taken away by the surf...I wont forget that anytime soon.
Big thank yous
1. to the |Scuba shop and Jesus....great instruction and the promise of seeing Seahorses..I lost it in the ocean. just couldn't get my head together.first timer... but will try again. He was an angel with a heartfelt hug.
2. |Gerry Rivera ( Gerry with a "G") Public relations at the Riu...always seemed to cross paths at the resort and couldn't do enough for the 3 ladies at the fountain every night. Look carefully at Caribbean night on the street, he plays in the band as well...a man of many talents.
3. The bar staff at the Pura Vida Bar...inside. My quest for an Irish Coffee at night with no Irish whiskey on hand was handled artfully with a layered Macchiato|( Best Coffee anywhere !) with Irish Mist and a dram of single malt...not quite Irish, but my fave for my bedtime treat the rest of the stay. Michael was the man to ask for.
4.Tours while you are there? lots of talk about the value of the guys on the beach..all good very friendly and cheaper /we took one..had a moment of feeling a bit vulnerable when the van broke down and we waited for a car at the side of the road...all ended up well.. but if I was doing it again ...Tours by Hotelbeds at the lobby...TONY ..professional/ engaging/informative/bi lingual|( French and English)/personable... ..a very enjoyable day.
Costa Rica is too big to do just once...Riu Gunacaste was the right choice...The Riu Palace next door very new/ very eco friendly...glassed in lobby... but felt like a Hotel in NYC
Its all about the nature ..look for the Howlers at lunchtime on the side of the Pool Bar/ and kidsClub, they should be hanging out under the trees with the white spider flowers that fall off and float they look like the ones from the movie Avitar.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opening winter 2009/10. Situated in northern Costa Rica, in Guanacaste. Located on Playa de Matapalo beach. Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. 6-storey main building. Surrounded by 35,000 m2 / 41,86 sq. yards of lush gardens. Closest village: Nuevo Colon. 13 km / 8.1 miles from various shops. 33 km / 20.5 miles from Liberia airport. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Amex, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Amex, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Travelocity and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Riu Guanacaste reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Riu Guanacaste Costa Rica