“Yummy Food and a great location” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 17 Restaurants in Russell
Good for: Local cuisine
Woking, England, United Kingdom
“Yummy Food and a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Sally's is set in the Island of Russel in the Bay of Islands. It's quaint town location sets the scene. The food was yummy the ambiance was nice you can choose to sit inside or outside. The Chicken and Pasta dish was scrumptious and nice big portions too Mark my partner had a lovely burger. They have a good selection of beers, wines and spirits to go with your meal. Staff were helpful and friendly.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“great Green Lipped Mussles”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

sweet place with very fresh calamari and green lipped mussels. The tea was hot, the service prompt and the view on the bay delightful.

Visited May 2013
sk1pro, Owner at sally's restaurant, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Thank you for your kind word. See you next time at Sally's
Deal, United Kingdom
“Good Food and Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Super location, right on the seafront. Try for a window table. The food is excellent. Very helpful staff. My companion didn't want a heavy meal after travelling so Sally was happy to let her have a choice from the lunchtime menu. Sorry folks but I went for the excellent Lamb Shank. Recommended.

Visited May 2013
Brisbane
“A gem in Russell”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The restaurant had a great atmosphere and friendly staff. The meals were well priced and although the "season" had virtually ended, there was a good number of patrons - attesting to its popularity.

Visited April 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
“A meal from yesteryear”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We visited Sally's based on other reviews and I'm shocked at them compared to our experience. Quite often the difference is service or how something is cooked but to be honest we just got poor quality food.

We had mussels to start and they were quite good. I'm not very keen in NZ mussels as they are too big but that is not Sally's fault. For mains I had the lamb shank which was much more fatty than I've had at other restaurants which either suggests that they don't source their meat from a good source or the chef had not prepped very well. My partner had a Fijian curry which was pretty strange to say the least. First of all it came with a fancy balsamic, (yes you heard it right) balsamic glaze over the top. Truly bizarre. The curry itself taste can what only be described as 1980/90's microwave curries that you got in the UK. We make a lot of Indian food (which I understand is not Fijian but Fijian curry is heavily Indian influenced) and are not sure how you get that flavour cooking with fresh ingredients.

The only other comment I would say is that the decor is very tired and needs changing. The owner strangely has large photos of her family in the dining area, which isn't something I've seen before and should surely be left to their home.

We ate at the Gables the next night and it was a totally different and altogether better experience.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
sk1pro, Owner at sally's restaurant, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
I am so sorry I was not personally there to improve your evening,
Our Mussell are New Zealand green lip mussell and served in that size.
I have now sourced a new meat supplier, Zeal fresh. The shanks are smaller and there is no fat content. These shanks are oven baked in herbs and red wine. One of our best sellers.
Curry is made by a Fijian Indian chef who sources his spices from Auckland. He is very concerned with your comments.
I travel the world and have noticed in many restaurant 's that have photoes of chefs staff and families New Zealand France and Italy are especially family orientated.
Myself and Tracey my daughter have worked in this restaurant for at least 15 years. I am proud to be a Nana and have earnt the respect in this town and hospitatily indusrty. I am pleased to show repeat customers of which there are many how proud I am and how the children are progressing. I hope your next visit to Russell makes you happier. I will have updated photoes by then. Sally