“A gem in Russell” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 18 Restaurants in Russell
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Brisbane
“A gem in Russell”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The restaurant had a great atmosphere and friendly staff. The meals were well priced and although the "season" had virtually ended, there was a good number of patrons - attesting to its popularity.

Visited April 2013

Auckland, New Zealand
“A meal from yesteryear”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We visited Sally's based on other reviews and I'm shocked at them compared to our experience. Quite often the difference is service or how something is cooked but to be honest we just got poor quality food.

We had mussels to start and they were quite good. I'm not very keen in NZ mussels as they are too big but that is not Sally's fault. For mains I had the lamb shank which was much more fatty than I've had at other restaurants which either suggests that they don't source their meat from a good source or the chef had not prepped very well. My partner had a Fijian curry which was pretty strange to say the least. First of all it came with a fancy balsamic, (yes you heard it right) balsamic glaze over the top. Truly bizarre. The curry itself taste can what only be described as 1980/90's microwave curries that you got in the UK. We make a lot of Indian food (which I understand is not Fijian but Fijian curry is heavily Indian influenced) and are not sure how you get that flavour cooking with fresh ingredients.

The only other comment I would say is that the decor is very tired and needs changing. The owner strangely has large photos of her family in the dining area, which isn't something I've seen before and should surely be left to their home.

We ate at the Gables the next night and it was a totally different and altogether better experience.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
sk1pro, Owner at sally's restaurant, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
I am so sorry I was not personally there to improve your evening,
Our Mussell are New Zealand green lip mussell and served in that size.
I have now sourced a new meat supplier, Zeal fresh. The shanks are smaller and there is no fat content. These shanks are oven baked in herbs and red wine. One of our best sellers.
Curry is made by a Fijian Indian chef who sources his spices from Auckland. He is very concerned with your comments.
I travel the world and have noticed in many restaurant 's that have photoes of chefs staff and families New Zealand France and Italy are especially family orientated.
Myself and Tracey my daughter have worked in this restaurant for at least 15 years. I am proud to be a Nana and have earnt the respect in this town and hospitatily indusrty. I am pleased to show repeat customers of which there are many how proud I am and how the children are progressing. I hope your next visit to Russell makes you happier. I will have updated photoes by then. Sally
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Delishimo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Went to Sally's earlier this month, three couples, we were on a tramping (hiking) holiday, we tackled the Cape Brett walk. We came here the night before the walk and liked it so much we came back the next night!
Casual atmosphere, family run, good service. Blackboard menu with lots of favourites, something to please everyone. We probably covered most of them in the two nights we were there. Particular mention to the Fijian Curry, sensational.
Highly recommended.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Victoria
“Excellent coffee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

In need of a good coffee, we found it at Sally's. We just hopped the ferry and had a coffee with a great view over to Paihia before going for a lovely walk around the town, including the hills.

Visited April 2013
“best ever meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Ordered Salt n pepper calarmi, and i can honestly say it was the best i have ever tasted, so tender just melted in my mouth. Washed down with a beer sittin on tables overlooking the bay, and extremely well priced, this lunch was a memorable one. My husbands meal was also excellent - dont pass by this restaurant.

• Visited March 2013