“Business Function” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Business Function”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The food was very average and since I had arranged the function, I found it quite embarrassing. Several people commented to me on the night that they were not surprised as had never had decent food there. If I had known that before I booked it, I would have booked elsewhere. Otherwise all arrangements, service etc was good. Just the food let them down.

Visited August 2012
Trailways, Manager at The Tides Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you posting a review about your function 9-10 months ago. I have tried several times to contact you as I would appreciate some more feedback so we can ensure that, whatever the problems last year were, they do not get repeated. If you are willing to discuss this with me, I would greatly appreciate a call.

Nelson, New Zealand
“Great food, nice ambiance and friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Although food is on the pricey side it is beautifully prepared and presented. The restaurant also has pleasant views over the river and if its fine, the terrace is a great place to have your pre-dinner drinks overlooking the river (better when the tides in). The staff are friendly and helpful and I would recommend this restaurant for a special occasion as it has more of an upmarket feel than most I've been to.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Trailways, Manager at The Tides Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Tides Restaurant & Bar. Its great to hear that you enjoyed your meal and our lovely location on the riverside. I hope you will visit us again soon.
new zealand
“beautiful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We were fortunate to have a voucher for the tides. The service, presentation and meals were beautiful. The setting was lovely with lovely linen on tables, and overlooking the river with tide in. .the outdoor area was also attractive. I had the crackled pork belly with veges and scallop potatoes. It was exquisite, the crackle crisp and the pork tender. Other meals also looked stunning. I liked the complimentary taster at the start and complimentary chocolate when we left. .a very enjoyable meal. However, The prices were quite high if we didnt have a voucher. But cant fault our experience and food.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Trailways, Manager at The Tides Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your review of The Tides Restaurant & Bar. Great to hear you enjoyed your meal with us - I love the crackled pork belly too. We have some very good deals online at the moment for meals, so I hope you take the opportunity to visit us again.
Perth, Australia
“Mostly Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We dined here as was walking distance from our motel. Staff were excellent & asked if we wanted to sit in or outside. There was a rather large bus load of customers inside, so we sat outside where it was a little quieter. Pity the tide was out, but still a lovely spot. Only downside was the bugs, maybe sandflies, that decided to make a meal out of us, tho we've been used to the little buggers after a few weks in NZ. We only shared a Chilli & Cheese bread for entree & it was awesome. Hubby had the lamb shanks which were nice, were supposed to come with red cabbage, carrots & breaded cauli. They'd run out of cauli, so this was replaced with beetroot, which tasted like tinned beetroot that had been warmed up (maybe I'm wrong). I had the trio of seafood, scallops & fish were lovely, but the prawns were obviously the frozen ones that come in a bag & they were tasteless. The chilli sauce on them tasted like the bottle variety. The staff are very friendly & helpful, all in all a good night.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the TIdes Restaurant and its great to hear that you thought highly of our staff and the location. I will discuss your comments with the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager, as all feedback is important to us.
Nelson, New Zealand
“Lovely dining room overlooking the river and great food as well.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had cocktails outside overlooking the river as the sun started to set - wonderful then moved into the dining room for our meal. We were sat at a table next to the window so we could see night fall and the lights of Nelson come on and be reflected in the river water as the tide rose. The food was 1st rate and our waitress excellent. The lighting could have been dimmed a little to create more intimate surroundings but we were there on a week night and there were a lot of business people in the dining room so maybe it was well lit for them?? Will definitely return, maybe on a weekend to see if the lights are dimmed......

Visited November 2012
Trailways, Manager at The Tides Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback on The Tides Restaurant & Bar. I'm very glad you enjoyed your delicious meals and our stunning location on the riverside. I will pass your comments about the lighting on to the restaurant manager so that the mood is more intimate on your next visit. We look forward to welcoming you back.