“Epic breakfasts and the sexiest shower in New Zealand!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of A Culinary Experience Luxury B and B

You added A Culinary Experience Luxury B and B to your Saves list
A Culinary Experience Luxury B and B
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   15 Seawatch Way | Atawhai, Nelson 7001, New Zealand   |
Ranked #11 of 57 Nelson B&B and Inns
“Epic breakfasts and the sexiest shower in New Zealand!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011 via mobile

We're on our honeymoon and stayed in the Tuscan room and LOVED it. It has a shower with TWO sprayers so that you can shower with your sweetie without anyone being left in the cold! The food was absolutely fantastic and it was nice to get something other than basic breakfast. Our hosts were absolutely lovely people and we especially loved hanging out with Bijoux their dog. Ours is at home so it was good to get a "fur fix". Stay here!!

• Stayed December 2011

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

Absolute highlight of a quick new zealand jaunt was staying at the delightful "a culinary experience". The cooking class that Kay taught was superb. The plentiful food that was not only home grown and made but organic was just delightful such as home made yogurts, jams and even peanut paste was a true culinary treat.
I big thank you to Kay and Jo for welcoming me into their home but also for sending back home to Australia a pair of sunnies that I left by the spa which Imight I add is under the stars and looking over the snow capped mountains.
Just beautiful!!!
Odette

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

We stayed for 4 nights at a Culinary Expeience. It was a rest with luxury,peacefulness, organic food and the integrity of Kay and Joe is faultness. I loved Kay's cooking and our cooking lesson was absolutely fantastic as well as being extremely pleasing on the palate. Nelson scallops yummm !!!!!!!!
Will definitely go back.......

Room Tip: Either of the rooms are OK!!!!!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Andover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

It is difficult to do justice to a "A Culinary Experience" without sounding as though it must be an exaggeration, but, objectively, this must be one of the most outstanding B&B's in New Zealand - and that is saying something, as we spent a month in NZ for the rugby world cup and were fortunate to stay in some memorable places. We stayed here for three nights and it was a highlight of our holiday.

Joe and Kay are exceptionally welcoming hosts. I hope they will not mind me saying that when we left, we felt as though we were leaving friends.

Our room was very comfortable, with excellent facilities, and a stunning view of the bay.

Our breakfasts were terrific, and set us up for the day - including a hike (not a long one admittedly, but long enough for us) in the nearby Abel Tasman National Park.

Nelson is a lovely place and there is a lot to do and see.

We had an evening meal at Seawatch which we felt was very good value. Kay is a renowned cook, and deserves her hard won reputation.

Apart from that, Joe and Kay are both interesting people to talk to, and have clearly put in a lot of hard work to make their purpose built home a truly lovely place to stay. Thoroughly recommended in all respects (and do try the hot tub in the garden).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Port Pirie, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Kay and Joe are fantastic hosts at A Culinary Experience. We stayed there for one night. You feel warm and welcome from the moment you arrive. Food is fantastic and rooms are very impressive. Amazing views of the hills and of the sea. Kay and Joe do meet any needs of guests, they even put the fox sports on Foxtel for us to watch AFL Grand Final!!! :) Would recommend anyone to stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

My wife and I had a great time spending several nights in Nelson with Kay and Joe. We were able to really get a feel for the wonderful town of Nelson and the surrounding area with the help of their advice. They were most welcoming and generous hosts and their accomdations were clean and wonderful. Our meals served at the B and B, however were much more expensive than our other expereinces in New Zeland and we felt our culinary experience did not met our expecations especailly since this was the entire concept of the B and B. The cooking lesson was less than professional with little techinque taught. If going back, I would consider only eating the breakfast included and enjoy some of the other wonderful Nelson area restaurants.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
SaucySister, Owner at A Culinary Experience Luxury B and B, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Thank you so much for your comments about your stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed our hospitality and our 5 star B and B. Our approach to doing cooking classes is to demonstrate approachable menus that the home cook can prepare ahead and enjoy the evening with the guests. This includes lots of do-ahead tips and the use of recipes that can be prepared at least a day ahead. We teach classes in a casual, friendly environment and try to instill our love of entertaining around a delicious meal. We, of course, are very disappointed that we did not meet your expectations and thank you very much for your feed back.
Leonardtown, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

After mountain biking the South Island of New Zealand for 14 days I wanted to finalize my last three days relaxing and seeing an old friend in Nelson. I went back and forth between hotels and B&Bs in the area but what gravitated me towards The Culinary Experience was the gourmet cooking, the spectacular view and the sense that I would have a personal experience filled with stories and lots of laughter.

Joe Waller, the owner was meeting me at the bus station and I sat on the bench waiting for his arrival, not knowing what to expect. I was a little nervous since I had never met him. A few cars slowed to a stop and then kept rolling on by. Then a Toyota Prius showed up and I knew instantly the man was Joe. We had a pleasant chat about my trip from Blenheim, while driving to the B&B.

When we first arrived to the house, Joe walked me around to show me my room and helped me get my luggage inside. He gave me the grand tour of where everything was. We arrived around quarter to nine at night and I was worried that it would be too late but I was welcomed with pleasant smiles and a prepared dinner.

There was an older couple sitting at the dinner table and we exchanged details of where we were from. From the get go it was a very personable, fun experience. The aroma of cooked salmon filled the air, my favorite fish that I had requested in an email. The salmon was moist and tender, it melted in my mouth, it was delicious and satisfied my urge. We enjoyed a few glasses of wine, while I shared stories of my mountain biking trip and experiences in Afghanistan. Before I knew it, the clock read close to 11pm and it was time to go relax for the evening.

I picked the Tuscan room and was very impressed with the decor and the openness of the room. I took a few pictures of the room, before I unleashed my messiness and my stinky biking gear onto the floor. Joe had given me a tour of the jacuzzi and showed me how to use it, so I went out to enjoy soaking in the tub while observing the starlit sky and the spectacular view of the many lights in the city below.

The next morning I woke up and joined Joe and Kay and the other guests for breakfast. Everything Kay & Joe cooks is fresh and organic! The eggs come from their very own chickens. The bread is homemade and delicious. Being in Afghanistan this was a definite treat and worth experiencing before returning. I could already tell that making the Culinary Experience my choice was a good decision and well worth the extra money! I felt like I was part of the family and the conversations were full of laughter, wisdom and insights about lessons learned on life.

Before I arrived to Joe & Kay's B&B I had mentioned that I would like to be able to bike from their house to town and they had already called around for prices and inquired for me. They made a real effort to make me as comfortable as possible and gave me whatever I needed to fulfill my time there in Nelson. The rental company I went with actually brought the bike to the house and rented it to me on the spot (that is for another review).

I stayed at the Culinary Experience for 3 nights and I have to say I am glad that I went with this B&B. Joe and Kay made me feel comfortable, made me laugh and cooked some of the most exquisite, delicious meals that I will never forget. See pictures below. When I travel I am interested in meeting new people and gaining knowledge about life. My wish was granted and it was a rich experience that I will always remember. If you want to laugh, learn how to cook (Kay teaches classes), drink wine and enjoy a beautiful home this is the place to escape to.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
SaucySister, Owner at A Culinary Experience Luxury B and B, responded to this review, April 2, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay at our Bed and Breakfast. We are passionate about the Nelson, New Zealand area and really enjoy sharing it with our guests. We are pleased that you enjoyed our gourmet meals, our spectacular view and the special touches offered in our luxury rooms. Thanks so much for sharing your great photos of our property with the Trip Advisor members. We look forward to your return to Nelson and hearing more about your adventures.

Been to A Culinary Experience Luxury B and B? Share your experiences!