“Lamb Shank curry worth the visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tongtara Thai Restaurant

Tongtara Thai Restaurant
142 Hardy Street, Nelson 7010, New Zealand (Formerly Massaman Lamb Shanks)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #25 of 117 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
San Francisco, California, United States
“Lamb Shank curry worth the visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Got a recommendation to try out this new thai place and especially the Massaman Lamb Shank. The shank was great, very tender and a tasty cury, and huge as it was 2 shanks with over 1 of them leftover for the next day. We had a Mussel soup to start which was very good as well, fresh plump mussels and spicy soup.

Service is fine, and the restaurant itself has a nice feel to it, very open and warm. Cheap BYO at $6 or $8 too with good glasses.

Visited January 2014

Picton, Marlborough, New Zealand
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

First time we have been here, I is probably one of the best thai meals we have had certainly in the south island anyway, I would recommend this restaurant and it is not expensive.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We had a great meal here on our latest visit to Nelson. The restaurant isn't very flash, but the food was good with huge servings and beautifully presented. Their Thai ice tea (ชาเย็น) must have been the best I've ever had (and we've had MANY during our trips to Thailand). Highly recommended.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“WOW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

As I usually do while travelling the world, I was looking for Thai food in a new city...Nelson New Zealand this time. I checked Trip Advisor, then asked my hotel reception and was directed to the busiest Thai restaurant in town (not the Tongtara). I noticed that there were 3 in the one street in town. Not impressed with the service or the food I tried another one the next day...not much better. So on the third day I tried TONGTARA and what a surprise. For the next 7 days I had at least one meal in this restaurant, trying something different every day. The service is superb. "Bee", part owner and front person is a delight. She is knowledgeable, articulate and most helpful in choice of food. The food is delicious, well presented and very reasonable. Do yourselves a favour when in Nelson NZ, and have at least one meal at this restaurant.

• Visited August 2013