“Gem of a motel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Nelson
Singapore
“Gem of a motel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed at The Sails Motel earlier this month for 4nights. My fren was visiting his hometown and made all the accommodation bookings. It was my first time staying in a motel and I was actually quite fearful for the accommodation in Nelson!
But when we pulled up at the motel, I was very impressed by the "modern-ness" of the motel. I had in a mind a motel being "retro" and "old and faded" and "musty" but thank heavens The Sails is all modern and clean!
Car parking was simple enough and check in was a breeze.
We had initially booked ourselves into the room with a jacuzzi (not sure the grade of the room) but we upgraded ourselves to the studio suite (I think) which had a bedroom, living room, kitchenette and a bathroom.
I had a fun time staying the 4 nights. It was like an studio apartment concept back home.
Plus points:
The rooms were CLEAN. The sofa felt CLEAN. The carpets felt CLEAN. Basically, I felt really comfortable. The motel is new so I really hope they can keep up the standards.
The bed was comfy and as good as any 5 star hotel.
The bathroom was spacious and clean.
The utensils in the kitchenette were clean. And there was a dish washer (wow! we don't get the concept of dish washers back home. we either wash the dishes ourselves or we have domestic helpers to wash them). There were all forms of cutlery and pots, etc. It's like a real home and you can cook up a feast! Almost! Especially good if you are traveling with young children and you need to cook for them.
Many TV channels available to choose from and free wifi (yippee!)
Quite a central location and the shops are a quick 7 minutes walk away. But we drove so it was like a minute's drive away. But it was peaceful at night. I slept really well for the four nights I was there.
Washing machines are located downstairs so it was great for me as I was on a month long holiday. Washing machines were clean.
Max and Robyn (owners of the motel) were friendly (pure NZ frenly if you ask me!) and helpful.
And I absolutely love the breakfast Eggs Benny. I had it every morning! You order the night before and they send it up the next morning. It was delicious. I really really love it. It is as good as Daniel Bouland's DB Bistro's eggs benny. Maybe better! Slurp. And it was very affordable and reasonable!
Only minus point is that their toiletries are not replenished adequately enough. But they are using Linden Leaves. Quite an upmarket brand for a motel I think.
Other than that, I can't think of anything that I want to complain about. The price I paid for is also reasonable. So I really can't complain.
Anyway I really had a good stay at The Sails.
Hey Max and Robyn, thanks for the great stay and please keep it up!
Hope to be able to visit Nelson and stay at The Sails next summer!
So for travelers (especially overseas travelers not used to staying in motels like me) visiting Nelson, do stay at The Sails. It was a great pleasant surprise!

Room Tip: Stay on the first floor if you got lots of luggage.
max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thanks for taking the time out to review us. We are glad we surprised you for quality standards of Motels in Nelson. We take pride in our new complex and want to make sure our guests needs and requirements are meet. Hope you enjoyed the holiday and the surrounding vista- called Nelson.We will wait here, until your next stay. Kind Regards Max and Robyn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Christchurch, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed at this Motel for the first time and unfortunately will never be returning.
I had high expections as it is brand new with a 5 star rating, as I have been a business traveller in the area for over 20yrs I always look forward to staying in new accomodation.
The attitude of the owers was very disappointing and found some of thier comments quite insulting when they obviously thought they were been funny and even found one question quite challenging......
Yes, the room was very nice, as it should be due to the motel just openning recently.
It was lovely to see a fully stocked mini bar until......I saw the prices! Message to owners, there is a supermarket just over a block away!
The bed...I'm a tall person and the bed was so high that I almost had to jump up to get into it, they had one of those fabulous "toppers" on the bed which with a 30 degree day then very hot night left me totally sweating hot all night (should be on bed winter only) also there were sooooooo many pillows and cushions displayed on the bed, you could hardly see the bed! Counted x9 in totally which just all ended up on the floor so I could get into/fit in the bed myself.
Lastly I also found it very annoying that through the night there was a hum/ring of some sort coming from the bathroom that kept waking me up....
So all in all, not impressed and would not ever stay again

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
We are shocked that you rated us so low, as we take great pride in our motel, and guest satisfaction.Please accept our apology , and we would like to refund your stay or another nights accommodation, so please contact us to arrange this, as our guest must be happy with their experience .You had brought up several concerns that i would like to address. We would like to apologize for the small talk, that offended you while you were booking in. We do like to strike up conversation with our guests, so that we can get a feel of their needs and expectations. Somewhere through-out that process we must of over stepped our boundary.
As to the mini-bar, you are right to suggest that a super market would be a cheaper alternative, but that is not our targeted market. We price our products to compete with the bars and restaurants, which we are very competitively priced. As for the nine pillows, being that it is a queen /king bed, four are for your head, two are for leg posture, leaving only three for decoration. Our feather down toppers are very comforting, and because the average Night time temperature is 14 C at night in February in Nelson, they are a perfect accessory to our rooms. They can be removed in minutes if requested. You had mentioned a Hum/ring coming from the bathroom, and that would of been the fan/extractor motor, having been left on. Again, we feel that we could of addressed any of these concerns on the day, and made your stay a more enjoyable one.
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed 4 nights and were thoroughly refreshed after our stay at the Sails. Every detail of the studio suite we stayed was of high quality. Lovely, clean and very peaceful night sleeps. Handy to the centre of Nelson, we also had some fun cycling around on the use of their pushbikes. Max and Robyn were very helpful and friendly. On our last day we ordered Eggs Benedict from the Sails menu and it was delicious. We were pleased by the standard of excellence in every area. What a jewel.

max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Glad that we could be part of your holiday experience. It is always great to see guest using and experiencing the options we offer. It is a great city to get around on bikes , as it is mainly flat, and fantastic cycling tracks. Four days in Nelson, is the perfect amount of time, to see and do all of the offerings of the area.Thank you very much for taking the timeout to write a review, and hope to see you back in nelson Soon. Kind Regards Max
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at the Sails Motel for 3 nights in February. The accomodation is extremely well appointed and beautifully maintained - altogether a very high standard. It is close to the centre of Nelson about half a mile out. It is an easy drive to restaurants or a longish walk if you feel like it. Lots of help from Max and Robyn on where to eat/go etc and free wifi. A very good choice.

max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you Clive for making a review on our Motel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope the rest of the holiday was as memorable.We are always happy to be apart of people's holiday experience, and hope, that if, returning to New Zealand, we will get you back.Thanks again for taking your time out to write a review. Kind Regards Max
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We recently returned to our home of Nelson,for a holiday, as we now live in Australia. Wanting just a couple of nights to ourselves we booked into this beautiful new motel. We had a one bedroom suite, with spa which we appeared to get as a complimentary upgrade from standard bathroom which was very nice. It's pretty pricey but certainly up there with other 5 star hotels we've stayed at all over the world.

As others have noted, the carpet was beautiful to walk on..very soft indeed and probably the nicest I've seen in a hotel/motel and the bed incredibly luxurious and comfortable. A real plus was the Nespresso machine..a really great touch I've not seen in any hotel yet..REAL coffee..divine! Great point of difference guys! We also thought the layout was very unique..not the 'usual' motel/hotel room layout..there had obviously been a lot of thought go into the design. Spotlessly clean, unobtrusive service, oh and free copy of local magazine!! (which did feature a photo article of the opening of the motel ;))

Only criticisms, if you could call it that, were these.. the door, which is a firestop door, is incredibly heavy to use and hard to manage with luggage in hand. And the quirky beachy artwork in the lounge and bedroom just really did not go with the contemporary, luxurious fitout. I suspect they were local or personally known artists and perhaps the owners are showcasing the work, or simpy attempting to make the rooms more personal and unique. Attractive in their own right, but not the right fit. Visitors to our room brought this up actually..we agreed.But this is hardly a criticism on the place..just an opinion really.

So all in all a wonderful motel, so close to the city - walk to shops, cafes, nightlife, sports (Trafalgar park directly across the road!)...great location, friendly service, luxurious experience!

We will be back, and will certainlly recommend :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thanks for the great review, and observation on the seashell/basket art. We are glad to of had you stay at our complex and enjoy the one bedroom apartment. We had an artist do all of the pictures for our Motel, and you bring up some valid points.Art is in the eye of the beholder. It did take us a while to get used to them. We hope that we will see you back in Nelson soon, to enjoy the fantastic weather we offer.Kind regards Max
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have just returned from a 6 night stay here. Everything about The Sails is excellent, top quality furniture and fittings, great beds,and a spacious luxurious bathroom. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment, as we wanted the option to be able to cook our own meals as we were there for a few days. Everything you need was there, with a good range of knives, utensils, pots and pans etc. Nice touch with the coffee maker as well, my husband was very pleased! Everything was immaculate and clean and fresh, and Max and Robyn were always helpful and friendly (even when Max had a broken foot)
We will be recommending The Sails to all our friends, and next time we are in Nelson we know where we will be booking!

max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Glad you enjoyed your stay in sunny Nelson. It is always great to see guests really explore our great little city, by staying several days, to see all of the attractions.. The one bedroom apartments are fantastic, to spread out in , and relax. Thank you for taking the time out to review us, and score us so high, and hope to see you back for some more sun. Hope the" back" gets better. Kind Regards Max and Robyn
Lugano, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

we received the most warm welcome from Max, who was really helpful & giving many tips on where to go & the best places to eat. The room was very clean & beautifully dressed. Any snacks & drinks you can think off are available! 55 tv channels to choose from & free wifi for 2 devises. Definitely recommended!

max r, Owner at The Sails Nelson, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thanks for the review, and the kind words. We do try and think of everything that would make a stay here, enjoyable and relaxing, even down to bath salts for spa baths. We realize that guests want those extra's to make the difference. Hope the weather is not too cold back home. Kind Regards Max

Been to The Sails Nelson? Share your experiences!