“Best Souvenir EVER!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 44 Activities in Nelson
Type: Classes/Workshops, Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: Stephan, the "Nelson Bone Carver", offers ONE DAY WORKSHOPS introducing you to the world of beautiful bone carving, a cultural Maori heritage of Aotearoa / New Zealand! You will learn how to carve and make your own special bone carving under expert tuition and assistance, lots of techniques and tips are provided as well as meanings of traditional Maori designs.Small classes, relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere. We supply all necessary tools and material. At the end of the day you will have your very special necklace of bone jewellery, a beautiful gift from NZ. You can not buy it anywhere else, it is as unique as you are!So bring your own design ideas or take inspiration from samples. Join in, it's one of the great activities and best things to do in Nelson, the arts & crafts capital of New Zealand / Aotearoa! Only $ 79 full day workshop. Pickup time 9.30 am / courses start 10 am, all materials and tools provided (one carving per person per day).Free tea and coffee, bring your own lunch. Free Pickup/Dropoff in Nelson on request. Sorry, no credit card facilities, please pay cash on arrival.You will find us in 87 Green Street, close to sunny Tahuna Beach in, of course, Nelson, Aotearoa / New Zealand!
Kassel, Germany
“Best Souvenir EVER!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Are you looking for an activity without hiking in NZ? Or something to do during bad weather? Or just something special?

Then try the bone carving workshop in Nelson! It is really amazing!!

You can design your own carving or pick from a selection of Maori symbols. Draw it on bone, cut it out and then see the stunning process of you turning a piece of bone to a beautiful, unique carving!

Stephan patiently explains how to do every single step and helps you through the tricky parts.

I'm not sure what I liked best:
The process of the carving that was a lot of fun, learning about the traditional Maori background and symbolism, that it was actually me who created the carbing, or just the beautiful, unique result - a really special NZ souvenir!

You don't want to miss it, it is worth every cent!

Visited December 2013

Arnhem, The Netherlands
“It's easier then you think!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

In Nelson I have been able to make a bonecarving that defines who I am. Before I left to NZ I had an idea of making my own bonecarving and stumbled onto Stephan's brochure at the hostel. I also had some ideas about what I wanted to make. Not the traditional Maori carvings, which are amazing, but something more "ME"... I ended up making a beautifull open book, with the titel of my favorite poem and a suitcase engraved on it....traveling and reading, definately "ME"!
It is amazing that I have been able to make this out of an ordinary piece of cow bone!
Thanks to the help of Stephan, a great, enthousiastic, inspiring teacher!!
Very proud of what I have made, got some very nice comments about my bonecarving too!!

San Francisco, California
“Great Instructor!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stephan expertly walked the line of helping you create a great piece without taking over creative control. You end up with *your* piece, and it turns our awesome. Definitely the highlight of my trip.

Visited January 2014
Calgary, Canada
“Create your own Souvenir of New Zealand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

On a rare rainy day in Nelson, my partner and I turned a cow bone into unique pieces of wearable art in a few hours. This workshop was one of the highlights of our visit to New Zealand.

Stephan was there to guide us through the process, from design ideas to carving and finishing techniques. He explained the significance of the Maori symbols and the tradition of bone carving. And once the final polishing was done, I had a beautiful piece of jewelry.

I've had many compliments since returning home, and no one believes I created it myself!

Ulsan
3 attraction reviews
“Fun, educational, relaxing, and beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I attended Stephan's bone carving workshop and it was even more than we ever could have hoped for. Stephan is patient, very knowledgable, and an exceptional teacher. He guided us every step of the way and had us laughing and smiling the whole time. He teaches a multitude of techniques and is always there if you need help. For $79 this workshop goes above and beyond, not to mention you get to take home your own amazing, hand made bone carving. I could not possibly be happier. Thanks again Stephan, our next time in New Zealand we ARE coming back!