“Paradiso, the best accommodation around” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free wifi+Free Breakfast!
Ranked #19 of 41 Specialty lodging in Nelson
London, United Kingdom
“Paradiso, the best accommodation around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

I turned up at Paradiso on a tour bus and had the most amazing time ever. Right from when we all checked in to when we had to depart a couple days later. Rhonda at reception is so lovely, she helped us with so much during our stay. I really don't know how Rhonda does it, she seems to be working 24/7! She really is Super Rhonda (from the pic on the wall in reception). My room was the really clean and nice and warm. I felt so comfortable staying here, I will be telling all my friends to stay here when they decide to visit NZ. They also have apartments on the other side of the backpackers. I heard that they are also great with King beds and spa bath, ahhh pure luxury - especially for a backpacker and I think they are only $99, that would be worth it after a day out at Abel Tasman National Park. Anyway, great service, staff and hostel. I had such a great time and will always remember Paradiso when telling everyone at home about my NZ trip!

• Stayed April 2009

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

Paradiso has got to be THE WORST hostel we've ever come accross.

Don't be fooled by the great-looking pix from the website and the raving reviews. We've recently visited, and were horrified with the REAL Paradiso (see pix we took of our room). Rhonda, the VERY RUDE operator/receptionist was not at all surprised and symphathetic when we complaint over the disgusting, health-hazard of a room she rent out to us. She did not even offer any apologies, resolutions or refund and we ended up staying elsewhere because we were concerned over breathing & sleeping in the NOISY, SMELLY, MOULD-COVERED room.

Picture speaks a thousand words - check out these URLs, judge for yourselves & save yourselves the troubles!

img145.imageshack.us/img145/9996/paradisonelsonnzcobwebs.jpg

img524.imageshack.us/img524/43/paradisonelsonnztoiletb.jpg

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

We just came back from our big tour of NZ and I had to comment on the AMAZING service and fun we had at Paradiso,I am stunned by the comments made about Rhonda,without her our stay would not have been as memorable, from the start Rhonda was there for us for anything at anytime and sorted out many deals for us on local trips,we stayed at many places and all very different but Paradiso was by far the best,check out the other reviews and do not be put off by someones nasty comments,Rhonda you rock !!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

I was interested in staying in the apartments and contacted the hostel to make a booking. I have never been so disgusted with the level of service I received from the operator, Rhonda. She refused to give me a confirmation email of the booking and just insisted that I should take her word for the booking. It is standard for properties to send a confirmation so why she was so put off by this I have no idea.

I then called back to cancel my booking as I was so outraged by the way she had spoken to me and she informed me she had cancelled it anyway. Very nice,what if I hadnt cancelled and had then arrived with no where to stay in peak season. She also told me I sound like an 18 year old (not really relevant, even though I am in my very late 20's). When I asked to speak to the owner she claimed she was the owner.This I find very difficult to believe, if they are treating their customers this way I have no idea why anyone would stay there.

Avoid at all costs unless you enjoy being treated like dirt.

I

Stayed January 2009
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

I have stayed at the Paradiso Apartments twice now and both times I have found the place clean and well maintained. The staff were friendly altho one time I was rung at 8.30pm to say there had been a noise complaint about my room but as I explained it was only from two people talking outside while having a quick smoke and the fact that it was 8.30pm on a Friday night. Staff member was really good and casual about it as obviously she's just doing her job and thats more of a reflection of the 'nana' in the other room than staff of Paradiso. I would certainly reccommend this place to others - good price, good location.

• Liked — Rooms were really nice, Spa Bath
  • Disliked — Nothing springs to mind
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

What a great place to stay! Out of all the places i have stayed in the last 6 months this is the best! Gorgeous Pool, Spa and Sauna!! Free Breakfast and evening soup! Gorgeous bedrooms with great lockers, large friendly kitchen, helpful staff and fre day tips! Very clean and friendly! loved it if only all hostels where lik ethis one!!!

• Liked — Clean and friendly
  • Disliked — It was all good!!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2006

Free soup,breakfast,pool,volleyball court,pool table,sauna,spa,woman that run`s the place is sound as a pound,$24 for an ensuite dorm room,lot`s of great hostel`s in new zealand,had an absolute ball at this one.

• Liked — The party bus behind the pool
  • Disliked — Dour faced english girl in reception
  • Tips/Secrets — Watch out for the pool when your exiting the bus!
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Paradiso Backpackers? Share your experiences!