“Wonderful Fine Dining” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #42 of 130 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner
Description: The Monaco Kitchen is in a well-known location on the Monaco peninsula (Nelson, New Zealand), presenting a new dining concept in a stunning location. With an emphasis on regionally-produced ingredients, Nelson born and bred head chef Jay Olsen and his team are taking a totally different approach to what has gone before. "For many years the restaurant's been called The Orangerie, and was somewhere special to occasionally go. A total refit of the space in May/June 2014 has seen the traditional decor replaced with a more casual and contemporary style and a more relaxed, flexible menu was introduced. "We really want to reflect a more New Zealand experience - give visitors and locals alike the opportunity to discover our unique style rather than following overseas influences." Open for breakfast and dinner every day, the TMK team understands the role food plays as a catalyst to sharing time together. "For us, it starts with good food that stands on its own rather than hiding behind distracting garnishes or flamboyant plates. "Small Bites and Sharing Plates feature large on the menu and give the opportunity to mix and match, whereas diners wanting something more substantial are well catered for by a range of Feast plates, all complemented by craft beers and wines and warm, engaging service. "Sharing food together enhances the conversation and enjoyment of an environment, but it's equally important that single travellers to the region feel comfortable dining with us. The kitchen team's designed a menu that will tailor easily to both individual and group requirements."
“Wonderful Fine Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We had a wonderful anniversary dinner. All three course were delicious and the wine selection was as good as the food. Set in a wonderfully decorated consveratory/Orangerie.

Visited September 2012
Grand_Mercure_Nelson, General Manager at The Monaco Kitchen, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Orangerie Restaurant. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback , we will be sure to pass your comments onto our Chefs.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Orangerie.

Nelson, New Zealand
“Wonderful evening - highly recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband and I went to the Orangerie Restaurant after purchasing a Grabone Voucher. We had previously attended a work Christmas function at the Monaco Resort with cocktails on The Lawn and dinner in the upstairs function room, as well as High Tea one Sunday afternoon, and were keen to experience a meal in the Orangerie. We had a beautiful evening, the staff were friendly, attentive and professional. Although we were 45 minutes early for our table, and prepared to wait in the bar, they were more than happy to accommodate us, seating us in a delightful window seat where we could watch the ducks swimming on the pond as the sun went down behind the mountains. On the advice of our waitress, we ordered the chicken liver pate as an entrée to share. This was SO delicious. I loved the mixture of the fruit jelly on the top of the pate and the accompanying lemon relish was delicious too. I asked for the recipe! For our mains we both ordered the Deconstructed Beef Wellington. It was beautifully presented, tender and wonderfully tasty and accompanied by a cute little pate pie. We finished our meal by sharing the Dessert Sampler along with the Chocolate Panna cotta and coffees. We were only sorry that we hadn't organised our family so that we could have stayed the night. Next time, we will make a weekend of it. Thankyou to Philip, who has now made us feel so special on all three occasions, and our lovely waitress Katherine, for your charm and good service.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your dining experience at The Orangerie Restaurant. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and we will definitely pass your kind comments onto the team and in particular Philip.

We strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer, therefore your feedback is very important to us so thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Melbourne, Australia
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed at the hotel on our trip from Melbourne when we were visiting family. We decided to have dinner at the hotel one night because we didn't feel like going out and we were pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable our evening was. The meal was delicious and our waiter was lots of fun giving us heaps of ideas on what to do the next day.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your dining experience at The Orangerie Restaurant. We appreciate your positive feedback. We hope you enjoyed your stay in the beautiful Nelson region and we hope that we can welcome you back again soon in the near future.

Nelson, , New Zealand
“enjoyable evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We visited this restaurant recently and had a very enjoyable evening and a wonderful meal.There were four of us and all had a different starter and main course and no one was disappointed with their choice. We didnt get to the deserts due to everyone feeling quite full. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We will definitely be back to try the rest of the menu and sample the deserts

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“The Orangerie”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Came to this restaurant with a friend on a grabone voucher. We were really looking forward to a fun evening out and to trying the cuisine.
Unfortunately our evening did not go well. The waiters were good when we first walked into the restaurant, we hadnt booked, and it was a Friday night, but they managed to find us a nice table near the window which was lovely.
I ordered the salmon and my friend ordered the pate, we were very excited about our meals as they are quite expensive starters, and so our expectations were high.
We waited a short while and ordered a glass of wine each, the first waiter Josh was incredibly helpful, a real people person and made us feel warm and welcome.
Our starters arrived but unfortunately we were given the wrong starter, common mistake and we were not to worried about this Josh apologised and took them back straight away, I was pleased we never ordered the spring rolls as they were so small I would have been disappointed if I had ordered them. any how, Josh came back with our starters but my plate was dirty, it had a red mark on the side and when I wiped it with my thumb it smeared across the plate and resembled lipstick, this left me feeling uneasy, I couldnt understand how you could get lipstick on the plate, the waiter was apologetic and took it back for me. I only waited a few more mins for my starter to arrive.
My friend and I started to eat.
We both looked at each other, and were equally disappointed. The salmon was watery and bland, it resembled tin salmon, and really had no flavour it was unappetising and inedible. I put my folk down and asked my friend how her starter was. She gave me some to try.
It was edible if you pushed pass the sweet sickly jelly on top of the pate, but it really tainted the dish and the bread was so oily, it run down her arm.
We felt bad and disappointed, these are quite pricey starters and I have to say I was hoping for something much more.
We couldnt eat them, and knowing the waiter wouldnt realise that we had finished as it looked like we hadnt started, I asked him discreetly to come over, and to take our starters away. He looked taken back and shocked, and said No. So I looked at him a little taken back myself now and embarressed and said we dont like them please take them away, he said that he was astounded that we didnt like the starters as he has never ever recieved a complaint about them before.
I told him his service was bad, I have worked in the hospitality business for years and my husband is a ex French Chef, I would never ever question a customer.
He took it back but then returned to futher quiz us as to why we didnt like the starters, I told him that he made us feel uncomfortable, he was very confrontational which put us on the spot.
He asked us to stay and try the main, and told us that we wouldnt be disappointed.
We wanted to leave, we felt uncomfortable and our excitment for the evening turned to dread.
We said we would stay to give it another chance, really more for his sake.
Our mains arrived.
We both ordered Duck.
The food was horrible, for a 30.00 meal I expected a lot more, it was served with what appeared to be cannellini beans, that were so over-cooked I wouldnt be suprised if they came out of a tin, also served with Green beans, that were so al-dente they were boarding on raw. The duck was cooked to well done, and med to well on my friends plate, the duck was edible but a little fatty, and dry. There was an orange sticky sauce around the edge of the plate, that had a bitter taste to it, there was thyme in the dish but the flavours didnt balance together, we had ordered a side of vegetables as the first waiter said we would need them as it was a fine dining restaurant and the dishes were small, this was not the case with the duck and we didnt need the vegetables.
My friend and I were red and embarressed knowing we couldnt eat our mains, the second waiter came to see us and asked us how we liked our mains, we said we didnt and he gasped. He was taken back and shocked. This made us feel worse.
This food doesnt represent France in anyway, its an insult to the French cuisine, and the service is good until you question the food and then it becomes confrontational.
This restaurant is in major denial about its food and service,
So if you fancy horrible food and waiters who are in denial and confrontational, go to this restaurant. I know I will never ever return again. After telling my story to a few friends and people, I have heard similar stories of disappointment, I have friends high up in the food industry and even they have said the food is terrible in this place.
Website claims you would be forgiven for thinking you're in the South of France. Have these people ever been to the South of France? Prawn cocktail, deconstructed beef wellington, NZ lamb pie, very french sounding !

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere