“BEST BACKPACKERS IN NEW ZEALAND!” 5 of 5 stars

Almond House Backpackers
63 Grove Street | The Wood, Nelson 7010, New Zealand   |
Ranked #2 of 40 Specialty Lodging in Nelson
Roanoke, Virginia
“BEST BACKPACKERS IN NEW ZEALAND!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Almond House became my home away from home while I was living in New Zealand. The facilities are FANTASTIC and Paul and Fiona (and the kids!) are really welcoming and ready to assist in any way they can. I was a long term resident here and I loved every minute of it! You get a wide range of travellers who stay here, so it's not focused on just the younger crowd. The place was always kept clean and there was always space for everyone to hang out together or do their own thing. The location is perfect too; only a short walk to the city center and to many nice walks and hikes around the area.

And out of all the backpackers I've stayed at, this is by far my favorite. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stayed a few nights here in a double room in the main house. From the moment I arrived, I was made to feel welcome by Fiona, and the whole place just oozed class and comfort.

The bedroom was spacious and spotless with plenty of storage. The bed was large and extremely comfortable. The shared bathroom was also kept immaculate.

There is a lovely modern kitchen area, with a relaxing lounge section opening out onto the terrace and the cosy back garden. There is a PC with free internet available in the lounge / kitchen and WiFi is also available.

Parking is free on the road, but there is plenty of space and it's perfectly safe.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Arnhem, Gelderland, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I arrived late in Nelson and I saw Almond House in the BBH. I gave them a rang and it was no problem for me to come. They gave me the choice to sleep in the main house or in the backyard/garden house. I took the last one for 2 nights and I have noooooo regrets! The backyard was big but also cozy. I had the, really good equiped, kitchen/livingroom for myself and I could play music without bothering anyone. The bed was really comfortable and the bathroom was in really good condition. The owners from the Almond House were really nice and friendly! I really do recommend this hostel/house, I enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Bargara, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The best backpackers I have stayed at in New Zealand to date. Spacious, comfortable, clean, quiet, plenty of amenities including hammocks in back courtyard and free internet/wi-fi. Fiona is a lovely and helpful host. Cheers!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I was just there two weeks ago. The place is super clean and the reception lady was very friendly and helpful. If you are looking for a cozy b&b to stay in Neslon, this is definitely the place. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013
Queenstown, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The Almond House is the place to stay in Nelson. It is so peaceful with beautiful rooms and facilities. The owner and staff were amazing. The outdoor courtyard is a great place to relax in the hammocks or sit in front of the fire. Stay here, you'll love it! Thanks from Dan and Imogen

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Zug, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Really awesome place, I absolutely recommend it. Very friendly and professional owners, very quiet, calm neighbourhood, clean, for every age, close to city centre. Free Internet and Wifi. I got very good information by e-mail from Fiona about activities before I arrived. Everything perfect! Thank you very much!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Almond House Backpackers? Share your experiences!