“Beautiful setting for a company conference” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 20%!
Ranked #13 of 41 Hotels in Nelson
Auckland, New Zealand
“Beautiful setting for a company conference”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We had a fantastic stay at the resort a couple of weeks ago for our company conference. I organised the conference with Hollie and was very happy how everything turned out. The event ran very smoothly and the team was very helpful when we asked for anything. The resort is absolutely beautiful and has a wonderful vibe, I would definitely recommend it to people to go and stay there. Well done to all, a very happy customer.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Grand_Mercure_Nelson, General Manager at Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco Apartments, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear jen_dnz87,
Thank you very much for your lovely feedback regarding your recent stay at the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco Apts. I am very pleased that your company conference was a success and everything ran smoothly. I will pass on your feedback to all departments especially Hollie as I am sure your comments will serve as an encouragement to all our staff. At the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco Apts. we continuously strive to provide superior service for every customer and it is an extremely rewarding feeling to receive great feedback such as yours. Once again, thank you very much and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the resort in the near future.

Sharon McGuire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Solihull, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was unlike anywhere else we stayed in NZ but it had a certain charm. The living room was quite dark but it's supposed to be like a cottage. Little table and chairs on a patio beside a stream and roses round the door - what's not to like?
Bedroom was spacious and bathroom was excellent.Washing machine in the kitchen with drier in the nearby on site laundry. Breakfast was good, although we only tried the continental. Staff in reception were excellent although not so great in the restaurant.
You need a car to go into Nelson although there is a bus. Honest Lawyer across the road was great for lunch or dinner.Very handy for the airport.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Alexis E
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your lovely comments on our tripadvisor page. It is always such a pleasure to receive positive feedback and we appreciate your constructive feedback regarding the service in the restaurant, I will be following this up with our restaurant manager, I know she will be very disappointed to read this. I am really pleased however to read that your service from the reception was excellent, I will be sure to pass this onto them as well.
It’s lovely to know that you liked the style of the resort and the Riverside Cottage, these units are very well appointed with plenty of space and as you mentioned very charming. We are situated a short drive from Nelson City and just minutes walk from the Nelson Airport. We are also en-route to the fabulous Abel Tasman National Park which is a must see in Nelson.
Thank you once again for sharing your wonderful comments and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel one day in the near future.

Tyne and Wear
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We stayed here for two nights as part of a tour group.
First impressions were of rows of twee terrace houses that might be found in an English retirement village. This belied th interior of our one bedroom ground floor apartment which could not have been less suited to a retired couple.
The whole place was gloomy with light switches in illogical places.
There was no room to open a suitcase in the bedroom, and no storage there either. The sole clothes storage seemed to be a cupboard in the passageway.
The sitting room was equally dark and gloomy with a poorly lit kitchenette and dining area.
The bathroom was laid out for disabled use, but no-one in a wheelchair could have got to the door.
Two standard beds were crammed into the bedroom with a tray table between then crammed with a table lamp, non-functioning alarm and a phone. Little space for personal bits and the single lamp shone brightly on my sleeping partner so I was disinclined to keep her awake whilst reading. The beds were perhaps the worst we had in any NZ hotel and not conducive to a good night's sleep.
The kitchenette functioned OK and we were able to heat a pie in the microwave, but the washing machine cupboard was empty whereas others in the group were properly equipped with machine and powder. Anyway, why have a kitchenette when there are no shops within an easy walk?
Despite having a TV in both bedroom and sitting room, it was too depressing to sit and watch them.
The on-site restaurant was overpriced fine dining and the bar snacks were literally that - snacks. We ended up eating good honest food at the Honest Lawyer just over the road - there was nowhere else close by. We just snacked in our room for breakfast.
Service was non-existent - we never even saw Reception until we handed the key in on departure.
Why Grand Mercure put its name to this place we have no idea - it was our worst stay in 3 weeks of touring.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Tynes1der
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our tripadvisor page and I am very sorry to read that your stay did not meet your expectations, at the Grand Mercure we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer so it is very disappointing when we read that we have not succeeded.
The hotel was built to look like an olde English village, I am very sorry to read that this style was not to your liking, it is something different and we understand that this style is not for everyone.
We try to make the check in process as smooth as possible for our guests, and due to the number of guests travelling on tours, it would be a time consuming process to have each person check in individually. However I do appreciate your comments about the service experience and I will follow up with the Front Office Manager to see if there is way we can make the group check in process more personal.
You will be pleased to know that we are in the process of carrying out renovations to our on-site restaurant so that we are not only offering a fine dining experience but something a bit more casual as well.
I really do appreciate you sharing your comments and once again my sincerest apologies.

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Grand Mercure Nelson is the least enjoyable Accor hotel I have stayed at for a very long time; it is also one of the worst in terms of value for money.

My room was gloomy and dark: deep red wallpaper, dark blue carpet, very low voltage lighting, heavy dark furniture, cracked loo seat and cobwebs in the bathroom, with no bath (shower only – water pressure not that strong). There was no air conditioning (and being on the ground floor, at the front, the window offered no security); no fridge (must be the only hotel in New Zealand not to have one); the safe sat on the tea/coffee counter and so wasn’t affixed to anything; in room wi-fi required three visits to the front desk to set up and was then painfully slow, frequently cutting out.

Noise was particularly problematic: inebriated revellers returning to their rooms from the on-site wedding at 2 am, 3am, 4am eventually led to security being called (there is no one on the front desk overnight); the restaurant getting its deliveries at 5 am; then aircraft movements from 6 am onwards (you hear the planes in the hotel, although they are turbo-props rather than jets). Plus the ongoing noise from the very busy route 6 highway at the rear of the building. The curtains don’t reach the bottom of the doorway/window ledge, so light will come in during the night.

I attach a photo of the gym plus (unheated) swimming pool, as I didn’t see any photos of these facilities either on the hotel website or on other Trip Advisor reviews – though I didn’t use either during my stay.

Other Accor signature touches, such as free Apples and newspapers, were also absent.

The site itself feels like an upmarket US university student accommodation zone: a series of small, relatively cramped units set out in a quadrangle, with a couple of “greens” in the middle.

On a more optimistic note, even though most guests will have cars, the hotel is a pleasant 20 minute walk from the airport terminal (turn left out the terminal, walk behind the Air Nelson shed, cross the footbridge, turn right, follow the cycle track). There is also a Countdown/New World 20 minutes walk into Stoke from the hotel, from where you can also take a bus into the Nelson CBD ($3.50 and about 20 minutes journey time, each way). Driving into town from the hotel takes about 10 minutes; to the start of the Abel Tasman national park walk the drive is about 1 hour.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Airlineconsultant
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on our tripadvisor page and I am very sorry that your recent experience did not meet your expectations.
At the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco we have 4 different room types to suit different traveller’s needs. It sounds like one of the One Bedroom Studios may have been better suited to your needs as these units have a kitchenette including a fridge. We will however keep your comments in mind when we are doing our next hotel revamp as this is something we may consider in the future.
As with all hotels we have on-going maintenance requirements, I am following up with our housekeeping and maintenance staff regarding the points you have mentioned in your review so we can add these to our maintenance schedule and rectify these problems
I appreciate you sharing your concerns, and please be assured that we are taking your comments seriously and working to prevent future incidents wherever possible. Please accept my sincerest apologies and once again thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed here overnight and possibly didn't research enough beforehand. It was fine, but obviously very wedding-y and a little theme-park like. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa and upstairs was ok, but downstairs was soooooo dark and felt dingy - part of the style of the decor, but during lovely sunny weather it felt a bit too enclosed and "ye olde English" vibe just a little odd. Maybe it's lovely and cosy in winter.... The gardens and grounds were lovely but it all felt a little clichéd. Ate at the restaurant and have to say it was my least favourite meal in all of NZ and I wouldn't recommend it - unimaginative and bland (function food...?). Overall the hotel was very clean and well appointed and I do have to say a huge plus for TWO very well appointed bathrooms both with fantastic showers! Also the reception and restaurant staff were lovely so plus for that.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Grand_Mercure_Nelson, General Manager at Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco Apartments, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Puddingkate
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco. I am sorry that you found the ground floor of the cottage to be a bit dark. Whilst the exposed beams provide character and have a link to Nelson we understand that the English village look and “old worlde” charm is not for everyone. Regarding your comments about the style of food at The Orangerie restaurant I will be following up with the head chef and restaurant manager, please note we believe this was a true exception to our normal high standard of food quality as we are continually recognised with awards such as the NZ Beef & Lamb plates. However we need to be highly consistent at all times so rest assured we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem. All our efforts are concentrated in preventing future occurrences. At the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco Apts, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. We truly appreciate your positive feedback regarding the cleanliness of the hotel and the spacious bathrooms as well as the restaurant and reception staff, I will definitely pass these comments on and I am sure that the team will really appreciate you taking the time to mention this.
Thank you once again for sharing your comments.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Your experience at this "luxury ""grand " apartment will be very dependent on which unit you are lucky enough to be allocated .

It can range from light and welcoming if you are places by the " river" to dark and morose if you are on the ground floor near the expressway.

The concept of these apartments is based on the quaint little "Honest Lawyer B+B across the street.

In contrast however this place lacks the attention to detail and maintenance that is found in the aforementioned.

Although build many years later these units show wear and look tired.

Non matching furnishings /cracking ceilings: side tables by the beds which look less that hygienic / poorly tuned Tv with occasional interference and WiFi reception issues make me wonder how a company such as Mercure dares to use terms such as "grand " and luxurious .

My suggestion to travellers would
be to spend their money at equally good and less expensive places around the city unless you specifically arrange to be in units of your choice......

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Mattpaps
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco Apts and my sincerest apologies regarding your disappointing experience. I am following up with our housekeeping and maintenance staff regarding the areas you have bought to our attention. I know they will be extremely disappointed that we delivered anything less than our high standard of room presentation. We have just this week completed an upgrade to our wifi and are looking to improve the wireless signal through the installation of more wireless routers around the resort to help eliminate any reception issues. As always ongoing upgrading of a property is necessary and through the quieter winter period maintenance such as plastering of ceilings can occur. We take comments like yours very seriously so rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the issues raised and wherever possible prevent future occurrence.
Thank you once again for sharing your comments and once again please accept my apology.
Sharon McGuire

Been to Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco Apartments? Share your experiences!