“ONe-stop shop for gift shopping” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Isle of Wight
“ONe-stop shop for gift shopping”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

First of all we loved the chickens and the peacocks as we left the car park. Next the kids area was brilliant. And finally the extensive gift shop that would take a week to get round! No time to eat sadly.

Visited December 2012

92% Recommend
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Riverstone perfect for travellers and family catch-ups”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is the second time my Family has used Riverstone Kitchen to catch up. Family from the Dunedin area and Family from Christchurch came together to celebrate our Mothers/Grandmother/Great Grandmothers birthday.
Once again the location and food where stunning. The Adults had a lovely meal a chat and shop, while the children and some Adults played King of the Castle in the Fort.
The Fish and Chips are the best and the Sour Cream Chocolate Cake is divine. With the purchase of the recipe book I have since made the Chocolate Cake for my Daughter's Birthday.
A wonderful place to stop for all Travellers.

Dunedin, New Zealand
“A major letdown!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I was part of a group of 20+ who had been looking forward to celebrating our yearly Xmas get together at Riverstone but was sorely disappointed by both the food and service.
We were given a set menu which was fine(given the size of the group)even if the choices were less than favourable.A friend and I are both pregnant and found that the menu was unsuitable so far as to eating safely for the babies on board. When asking the staff if we could have a variation of what was on the set menu they were less than obliging to be of any assistance and when asked if we could order off the "normal" menu so as to have control over what we would eat, this met with even less satisfaction as the response was it wasn't really desirable for fear other members of our party would wish to do the same. My friend and I were told that "other pregnant women chose to eat" what was on the set menu as if we should just get on with it and were being inconvenient. I felt almost pressured to order what I didn't feel comfortable consuming just to appease but then stood my ground and ordered from the "normal" menu despite their obvious annoyance by this. I must say that my meal was satisfactory, and I had no problems with it however the meals my friends were presented with were less than satisfactory for a restaurant that boasts such a highly regarded reputation. For a start, the meals came out on a platter to share which was never made clear beforehand. The platter was small and expected to feed 4-5 people, the one closest to me being a plate of mostly mesclun salad with some shredded salmon if you dug deep enough. For the set price of $35 I would have expected more than was presented and the actual presentation was nothing special. I had a full meal, 2 drinks and a sweet for less than the set menu meal and I felt that my friends were hard done by in this respect.
What was most upsetting was the subsequent behaviour by management of this establishment. When told that we were not happy with the meal/service at the time of dining, we were told they were too busy making 50 coffees. Not the response one would expect, and just to let you know we were not a surprise visit, meaning that we could or should not be catered for like any other paying customer.
When a member of our group rang post this date to again relay our negative experience, they were told that we were being greedy in regards to the portion size and perhaps we would have been better suited having a meal of fish n chips at the Hampden store( I have actually heard great things about the store, so maybe we would have).
I find it interesting that a business would choose to conduct themselves in this manner and thought customer satisfaction would be of paramount importance, but obviously not.
I would be wary of dining in large groups at this venue as they seem to be inept at dealing with large groups as surely 20+ unhappy customers can't be wrong.
As far as being pregnant I have had great service at other restaurants, only too happy to be of service, without making me feel like an inconvenience and by no means was I being picky.
No restaurant is ever superior enough for their patrons views not to matter, food for thought!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“IWe selected this restaurant because a lot of us hsad been there before and had good experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

This visit was disappointing we don't feel they are equipped for large groups...........it was some sort of heritage day in oamaru........maybe the lack of food was because they ran out.......wouldn't do groups again

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
New Zealand
“River Stone biscuits”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This was a big deal: an afternoon tea at a highly regarded restaurant as a refreshment stop on a garden club bus trip. The booking was made in advance, but we were told we had to arrive in the morning, not the afternoon. The first disappointment. On the eve of the trip we were told we had to take a fixed menu morning tea because we were a bus load. Those wanting just a coffee or tea and a biscuit had to have biscuits and scones. Second disappointment. We would be charged for the bus load, regardless of how many took the morning tea, third disappointment. We would have been a little less annoyed had the food been of the expected standard. It was a major disappointment: the scones were far smaller than those at the counter, and they were hard crusted and tasteless. The biscuits however, were anything but tasteless: they had a bitter after taste, and were hard, not quite river stones but certainly not pleasant. I thought my request for a second cup of tea was going to be refused, but it was served. Just as well, because I needed it to wash away the taste of the biscuits. I hope this was a one off situation. Riverstone Kitchen has a well deserved reputation for high quality food, but our experience shows there may be instances where standards fall below expectations. I hope we have better fortune on our next visit.

• Visited November 2012