“Cosy peaceful haven” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Oamaru
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Cosy peaceful haven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

This is a beautiful cosy and clean hostel, much more homely than the bigger YHAs. I was there in October and it was lovely and quiet, I had the whole dorm to myself.
The only downside being I was told the internet cards were for YHA members only so I had to find a cafe with WiFi instead. A bit strange

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
O'Fallon, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We got there around closing time at the office and apparently they turned some people away since it was empty but I had made a reservation online which they didn't have in the books but the nice lady let us stay and turned on the heaters for us. She showed us around before she left for the night. The room was great. The living room area was nice and had a heater that kept us warm. The kitchen and bathrooms were nice. It was well worth the money. Location is good near the supermarket. Hope I can return someday!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Bath
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We too arrived early in the afternoon but there was a sign saying reception opened at 4pm but you could use the facilities to make a drink etc however in our case we could keep our stuff in the car. We had a double room which was so small that we had a problem just getting past our rucksacks. Had to climb into bed from bottom of bed as no room to get in by the side. Kitchen too small for number of people using hostel although lounge was adequate. Kitchen was clean but not very well designed yet probably did the best with the space available. Did not find host very friendly, a bit distant and we regretted our advance booking/payment. The information re latest penquin sightings was helpful although when we saw the yellow eyed the timings were an hour out so not sure just how up to date it was. Hostel a little way from town centre but supermarket within walking distance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Horrible service. I booked my stay well in advance and included my arrival time of 11:30am. I was shocked when I arrived to find the office closed with a sign that said "open at 4pm". If you are going to Oamaru, chances are you are going there to see the penguins and view begins at 3:30pm so this was completely unacceptable. A couple guys pulled up when i was waiting and told me their friend lived there. One guy finally came out of the office and said his friend worked there (and was in the office at the time) but that he "would sort me at 4pm". With no where to store my luggage, I left and found a great hostel down the road that was staffed and open for business and I ended up viewing yellow eyed and blue penguins that day :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

One of our favorite backpacker place... it's more like Home Stay. Tidy room, clean bathroom and nice kitchen. :)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

Only stayed one night, but the hostess was very welcoming and gave us lots of advice about the local area (go to the Moeraki boulders and Geraldine). Room was clean and the lounge/communal area had lots of books and games.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

I had been here twice, first time I camped on the backyard and now they changed the manager and no more tent site. The bed is quite comfortable and the location is quiet, kitchen is okay, they have a tv room which is quite big and comfortable. Overall, this hostel is clean.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Been to YHA Oamaru? Share your experiences!