“Good airport hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Switzerland
“Good airport hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

I had reserved the wrong night to stay with them and they were very good with sorting out a room for me. I ended up in a spacious superior one with a nice double bed.
You get 20min free wi-fi a day in the lobby.
The only thing I didn't like is the fact that they charge you for the airport shuttle bus (I knew that from when I made my reservation though). Shouldn't that be complimentary when staying at an airport hotel?!
What I definitely cannot understand is that fact that if you only use the shuttle one way, you still have to pay a return - what a rip off!
Nonetheless I'd probably stay there again if I needed an Auckland airport hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

OK airport hotel - ~ 5km from the airport - close to other airport accommodations.

Clean, comfortable, service perfunctory. In many respects totally forgetable to the business traveller. I little on the pricey side for what it is.

A couple of issues:

Internet access is steep - $30/day and with limited downloads (100MB). When travelling for business this is totally hopeless, especially in my field where large sized file transfers are the norm for work. This needs to be fixed and this hotel needs to join the 21st century.

I also appreciated the maid loudly trying to enter my room at 6.50AM - thank goodness for the internal door lock!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
GMHIAA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Auckland Airport, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Dear PRMSydney,

We appreciate your valuable feedback with regards to your stay in our hotel. We understand your concern with regards to the internet. Our internet charges are passed on to us by our service provider and currently, we are in negotiations with them for a higher download limit. At this stage, we are looking at August 2011 in increasing this.
We are very sorry to hear that you were disturbed by one of our staff members. Our housekeeping Manager was made aware of this experience and necessary actions have been taken. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you. We hope that you could give us another chance to be of service to you again soon.

Kind Regards,
Matt Rippin
Coffs Harbour, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

We have stayed here before and rooms, service and staff were always great.
However on our last stay we settled the bill before leaving but recieved a credit charge for February 2011 when we wern't even at the hotel so get a final clearence in writting before leaving as months later charges pop up out of no where so keep an eye on your credit card statments.

Room Tip: Take another hotel
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
GMHIAA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Auckland Airport, responded to this review, April 17, 2011
Dear Jacksue18,

Thank you for your feedback, we value this information you have given us. We are quite surprised to hear such incident and we would like to get more information regarding this. If you could please contact us directly, we would be able to investigate further on this matter and understand why you were billed erroneously.

We look forward to hearing from you.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

I couldn't have been happier with my stay at the HI Auckland Airport. I always book 5 star, so if I'm honest, I was expecting a bit of a let down. I made the booking for convenience only, but I was so pleasantly surprised! My 3 nights at the HI came at the end of a month-long stay in Cook Islands and Tahiti, and I honestly preferred my stay here over the Intercontinental Tahiti which cost an arm and a leg. I booked a tower suite, which cost a little more, but was worth every cent. The staff were friendly and efficient, and the shuttle bus was really handy, cheap and on time. The bed was unbelievably comfortable, and the room was really well layed out. When my room service took 20 mins, I received an apology for the late delivery and received my drink free. I will certainly stay there again on my next trip to NZ. Good work guys

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

Stayed here twice during our north island trip. The girl who booked us in the 1st time was the happiest person in her job you could wish to meet, wish I knew her name, room was fine, went to buy a drink at 3.55 and they could have excepted the order, but was told to go to the other bar as happy hour was starting. 2nd time check in not as friendly but fine, went to bar and ordered glass of wine 8 dollars, they didnot have it so offered alternative, we accepted only realising later that the alternative was 12 dollars, other options available. transfer to and from airport good.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

I only booked this hotel becaquse of my Priority Club membership and it was double what I would have paid at the Grand Chancellor (where I have previously stayed) but thought I would increase my status. MISTAKE! From the checkin to the checkout was a nightmare. Waited over an hour to checkin and the staff were rude. Went for coffee in the lounge that night and same thing The room was desperate for a renovation. My stay at this hotel caused me to cancel my 10 nights booked at other IC properties in the US for my March travels as I just could not bear to experience that awful service again. I will not be staying at an IC propert again anytime soon anmd in fact for my April trip have booked the Grand Chancellor again. Half the price and no worse than the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Oztravels7,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided for your recent stay with us. We have discussed your comments with the concerned department regarding your check in experience and they have investigated on the matter. We apologise for the inconvenience we have caused you and this is certainly not in line with the standards of our hotel. Please be assured that actions have been taken to ensure that this does not happen again.

Please contact us if you wish to further discuss this matter. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

We stayed at this HI twice during our trip to New Zealand, as we arrived and as we left.

We got the hotels pick up bus from the airport, charge $10 per person, which I do think is unwarranted. You pay for this at reception and get a receipt to get back on the bus

We arrived late and quite tired from a long flight and were looking to have a drink in the bar then a good night’s rest before picking out car up the next day.

No upgrade give for Platinum members (could of been full) but really were not bothered, all we wanted was a drink then a good sleep.

Check in quick and a nice welcome. Room on the ground floor, fine good size, good King bed with the pillow menu all the usual, nothing special, modern clean. Very small bathroom.

Went to the bar which was pleasant and quite busy couple of drinks then back to the room. Staff in the bar were friendly and chatty.

Wish I could say we had a pleasant night sleep, but alas no.....I understand as it’s an airport hotel people are coming and going at all times but this was ridiculous. The design of the hotel is as such the doors bang and its heard all along the corridor. After nodding off about 4 am, then the service room sprang into action. Staff had no consideration for sleeping guests and the door was constantly left to slam against the lock, and having chats outside the room and generally not caring what noise they made with trolleys and god knows what else.

Needless to say we were shattered the next day. Did not want b/fast and got the car hire company to pick us up and take us to get our car, thus saving $20 paying for the bus back to the airport. Mentioned the noise to staff on check out and they did apologise.

We wanted to change our return booking, but as it was already paid for had to stick with it.

I have given the hotel a poor rating due to the sleep factor, or rather lack of it

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Scotlandscout

Customer feedback is very valuable for us, thank you for sharing your experience with our hotel. Please be aware that we have investigated on the matter and have thoroughly discussed this with the Department manager and the staff member. We give high importance to avoiding noise in each guest room and we are very disappointed that this has happened. Please accept our sincerest apologies. Please contact us in private to discuss this further. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Been to Holiday Inn Auckland Airport? Share your experiences!