“Disasterous” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Airport Gateway Hotel

You added Airport Gateway Hotel to your Saves list
Airport Gateway Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   206 Kirkbride Road | Auckland Airport, Mangere, New Zealand   |
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Rotorua
“Disasterous”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

This has to be the worst place I have stayed in my life. After 5 minutes of arriving, my 6 year old went outside to play in the small park outside our room, she came back inside with old VOMIT stuck to the bottom of her shoe, which she had walked through in the kids sandpit!
We then went on to the restaurant, did not enjoy the buffet, it was cold and shriveled up which means that it wasn't fresh, looked like it had been reheated everyday that week already and the restaurant had an awful smell.
The helicopter and police cars surrounding the Hotel that night made for little sleeping.
In short I recommend you by-pass this dirty, smelly place and find somewhere with more hospitable people.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Perth Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

You know, I booked this hotel because it offered a transit day room for $55.00, which suited us as we have a 3 yr old & were in transit for 13 hours before flying on to LA.
I read the reviews & really was dreading it.
We got to Auckland at 7.00am, I rang the free shuttle service which picked us up 10 mins later, we were at the hotel within 10mins.
They let us check in early, then we had a few hours zzzz, showered & the shuttle took us back to the airport.
The rooms were clean, had tea/coffee (which our $500 a night New York hote didn't) & the staff were more then accomodating.
If I was to stay in New Zealand I would probably choose elsewhere for location, but it was great for the short amount of time we were there.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Kempsey, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

This was by far the most horrible hotel we stayed at in N.Z.
The rooms are awful and the staff are worse. Forget about eating there, they have a smorgasbord which could be described as something like a pig's trough but much more expensive!
We could not recommend any aspect of this motel, even the shuttle service to the airport was surly and aggressive (and late)
Never again!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

I stayed in Airport Gateway Hotel for 1 night during transit. I paid NZD110 for the night and the moment I stepped in I felt that it's not worth. The room was spacious but slightly dusty (esp in bathroom). The TV, table, chair, etc. were small and old.

I got a room which was facing the swimming pool and garden, so it was actually nice. I had seen some rooms which were facing car parks. Those would not be so favourable I presume.

The hotel did not provide any complimentary water, and charged you for everything such as internet and newspaper.

Food in the canteen was awful. Choices were very limited (probably less than 20 dishes for choice). Avoid if you could.

Staff was friendly, efficient & helpful, fortunately.

Stayed October 2008
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

We stayed in this place on our last day in New Zealand. I think if I had flown into Auckland and this was the first place I stayed in I would have wanted to leave the country straight away.

The prices of accommodation in and around Auckland are not really cheap. Then the places that are cheaper are horrible like this.

I kept my flip flops on in the bathroom and shower. It was horrid in there. It did not feel very secure at all, as we had a sliding door in the room that went out into the car park. We were kept wake by the people next door talking and a local dog barking.

Please do yourself a favour and do not stay here ever!!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — the state of the room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Geelong
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

We had a terrible stay at the Gateway Hotel. Thankfully we were only there for one night. In fact we were there less than 7 hours. We arrived late and checked out early due to our flights. It is a strange hotel with long dingy corridors. It is in need of major renovations.The room we had, had been broken into a few nights before, so the sliding door was still broken and the fingerprint dust from the police was still on the windows. Very unnerving to stay there. Very little sleep was had, a horrible start to our 6 month trip. When we made mention of the break in the next morning and that we were unhappy with being put in that room, the man on reception really did not seem to care, no apology, took pleasure in telling us about another break in at another hotel. This place is terrible, there has to be better ones in the area.

• Disliked — The police fingerprint dust on the windows and the broken sliding door
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Airport Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!