“You get what you pay for” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Airport Gateway Hotel

You added Airport Gateway Hotel to your Saves list
Airport Gateway Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   206 Kirkbride Road | Auckland Airport, Mangere, New Zealand   |
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Airport Gateway Hotel is not a hotel but really a motel close to Auckland International Airport. It is not that close to actually walk. They offer free shuttle service, which occurs after you call them. The van picks you up at the Departure Area, not at the Arrivals Gate. Service is very lackadaisical. Wifi is available but is not free. The room and bathroom were clean, however, there is evidence of shoddy restoration. The curtains were tattered. Continental breakfast was offered, but I did not even chance it. The return shuttle to the domestic airport was very laid-back (I was thinking delivery of the vegetables to the restaurant had a higher priority than shuttling passengers to the airport); everyone in the staff seems totally bored with it all.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Nelson new zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We stayed here overnight on the way home from Audtralia, and had paid 3 times the price for other hotelss in Australia which were not much better than this one! The staff were friendly, we got a complimentary shuttle both ways from the airport and a free breakfast! All for $79.00! The staff were friendly and the bed was clean, and we werent worried about anything other than that.

New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We booked into this hotel for one night prior to flying out to Cairns. Room was pretty average. Although we asked for a wake up call at 4a.m. it didn't happen. Fortunately we also set the alarm on our cell phone.
The reception staff were not welcoming at all, either going to returning. As there didn't seem to be many spare car parks we parked up and instead of going out to dinner we had dinner at the hotel. It was ok. Our shuttle to the airport was on time.
On our return we phoned for a pickup and it would have taken an hour and a half at least to get the pick up. My husband had to phone twice. When you get off the plane all you want to do is go home, in our case we had to drive back to Rotorua. We were not a bit impressed with the long delay and NOT much of an apology was given. We would not stay there again.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I am the type of person who will let a few things slide here and there as I am not a fussy person. But WOW! I was absolutely horrified with this motel.

Firstly, we arrived and the lady at reception checked my partner and I into room with 3 single beds. Did she expect us to sleep in a bed each? She took my card details, without explaining why, and she then tried to charge me on my card without asking how I would like to pay. I told her, no i want to pay cash. Which was fine at the time. This room was 80$. When we went back to reception telling her she had booked us the wrong room, she cancelled that booking. And I then booked online via booking.com as it was a bit cheaper and had breakfast included. That was all good and we went to our room.

Rooms were old and dirty and my sleep was very uncomfortable.

The next morning we went to get our complimentary breakfast, and there was only cereal, a bowel of peaches and toast. Thats it!! There was a bug floating around in the bowl of peaches too!

As we were eating breakfast I noticed that they had charged me on my card for the hotel room even though we paid in cash. We went to reception and the man basically told us he didn't believe us. I had to get my bank on the phone with him and then he finally said he will look into it. When I went back to reception to get my refund, he tried to say it was our fault because we booked on the phone AND via booking.com, which is not true at all.

The woman who checked us in double booked us, and the man kept telling us it was our fault. I am so disgusted in how this motel is being run, if you do not have any customer service skills or people skills, you should not be in the business!

Also, the pool and spa are in shocking condition. I cannot find one single thing positive about this motel.

They did not try and resolve our situation at all, no apologies, nothing!

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Hotel is very near to the Auckland airport, most of the staffs were Indian and Fiji. Rooms were clean and big. I personally liked the location and staffs were very helpful since this was our first base when we landed in New Zealand and they helped in every possible way.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hamilton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Booked here for the night of the Rolling Stones Concert, that was unfortunately cancelled. I called the hotel to cancel my reservation 6 days prior to the arrival date, my cancellation was accepted but with a 10% cancellation which I grudgingly accepted, given the circumstances.
I was told that my credit card would be refunded with the difference. On receiving my statement I had been charged the full amount even though I gave 6 days notice. After calling the hotel I was asked to send an email, which I subsequently did, only to be told that because my original booking was made via Expedia, then I should have cancelled via them. There was no mention of this in my first telephone call to the hotel. I asked to speak to the Manager, but he was apparently overseas and there was no one else to pass on my complaint to. Another email from the hotel said they only accept telephone cancellations from people who have booked directly with the hotel and they was no recollection from anyone at the hotel that I had even phoned to cancel. Very disappointed with the lack of customer service and I only wish I had checked Tripadvisor before booking at this hotel.

London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Can't be more surprised with the experience we had at this motel. Free airport shuttle (ask the info desk near McDondalds at the airport to use their free phone service to call), free laundry, free wifi, and great dinner recommendation around the corner. Yes, it is a basic motel but the staff were wonderful and being pleasantly surprised with no extra charges for services was a welcome change.

Room Tip: We had a lot of luggage so they gave us a room on the main floor so we didn't have to lug it aro...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Airport Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!