“Beware. Be careful with your credit card” 1 of 5 stars

Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 Mckenzie Road, Mangere 2022, New Zealand   |
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Mangere
Singapore, Singapore
“Beware. Be careful with your credit card”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

Hopeless service.Abrupt Receptionist..Sper sunken old beds.. they have no family rooms only connecting rooms. I stayed there for 3 nights and when I left I received an email stating that they will be charging for foul smell and stains which I cant recall and what is acceptable small and non acceptable smell?. And they did charge me .So please dont give your credit card to these people. There no lift and no porters to carry you luggage up the stairs. and Here is the best part.. This hotel faces a cemetry that is nicer to look at than the hotel. Only the airport pick up and drop off shuttle is worth it and the guy who does it is a friendly guy. The rest I met a definite no no. Is this a hotel or motel. I doesn't seem to fit anywhere.

There are many hotels nearby. The ones that seem good is holiday inn or formula 1 and many others that have shops and facilities nearby.

This one .. I wont even recommend for a night stay. You do not know what they charge your credit card. Beware.. I have travelled to many countries around the world even to third world countries, But this is the only one that left me with a haunting experience.

Room Tip: Dont even come here
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Shalend P, Manager at Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
This comment is totally not acceptable as upon checking we require a valid credit card wherein the guest acknowledge and take responsibility for the indebtedness and damages.Our porter are stand by in every shif tand offer there service to all guest. After checked out, our housekeeper found that the room was very dirty along with juice/food stains in the carpet.

We had charged reasonablly as we incurred more on carpet cleaning and loss of income for a day.

All credit card details are keep in confidence and automatically deleted after checked out from our system.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Stayed here for two nights after taking the overlander train from Wellington to Auckland. We booked this hotel to stay close to the airport as our flight left very early after the second night. This is not a hotel to pick if you're looking to sightsee auckland as the public transport connections are pretty poor.

Our room was on the second floor, and featured a queen or king-size bed with a "garden view" and an oversized, poorly cleaned, outdated bathroom. There was also some mold in the ceiling, very nice. The bedroom was however to our expectations which in fairness were low. It was OK. My girlfriend noticed some kind of smell which i not picked up.

The personnel was helpful but didn't seem very cheerful. If you're looking to get yourself a proper breakfast just before a long flight, my suggestion is to skip booking one at this hotel - and instead heading straight to the airport for a meal there. The breakfast was basically milk and corn flakes, plus some white bread in two home appliance toasters. Some poor juice on top of that really calms your nerves before a long flight!

We asked to put our two laptops into a security box in the lobby's office. After having received them the lobbyist took a note of our room number on a piece of a paper, taped it on one of our cases and didn't even give us a receipt or anything. When we got back we asked for the two laptops and did not have to show ID to get either the key or the laptops. Somewhat crazy if you ask me.

The airport shuttle (a mini bus) was free and ran every 30 minutes, worked very well.

All in all I would not come here again, even though it was cheaper than a meal.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011 via mobile

Clean, well-organised hotel with all basic mod cons albeit slightly aged fittings and decor.
Eficient and timely shuttle service (only drawback is that there's only 1 shuttle running in a loop so can wait up to 40minutes if you just miss it).
Not a tourist destination so much as a convenient place to sleep if you have an early flight to catch.

• Stayed October 2011
Wollongong, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night only, and used it literally as a transfer hotel.

The positives: a free shuttle and a free breakfast are included. The rooms are a bit old, but clean enough. The bed was comfortable, the sheets clean, the bathroom ok. The shower was a bit old but it worked - although it could've done with an extra bit of cleaning. The room was air conditioned but we didn't switch it on since it was only 12 degrees C outside anyway :-)

As for the free breakfast: it was a small continental breakfast: cereal/muesli, toast, and coffee and tea. If you're looking for more, you can upgrade to a cooked breakfast for NZ$5 which I think is quite reasonable.

The staff are very helpful. I must mention there's no elevator, so you have to get your luggage up the stairs (the staff did help with this).

Overall, great for a night considering the price/quality.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

We booked this hotel for one night as we were getting in late to the airport. The pickup from the airport took 50 minutes to arrive.It is 5 miles from the airport so it isn't as near to the airport as other hotels.

The room was clean and spacious. There are tea and coffee facilities in the room.

We got a taxi to Auckland city centre the next day and the hotel owner charged us 40 dollars instead of 60, the normal price from the airport to the centre. What we didn't know was that he was taking two other people, so he was making a profit instead of giving us a deal.

The breakfast is served from 7 to 8.30 so you have to get up early.

It is fine for one night but nothing special.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I was on an overnight and was picked up from the airport at 1am and returned next day. The room was clean and well equiped and the breakfast was continental and prefectly adequate. You could upgrade to a cooked breakfast for a small fee. The total cost of NZ$65 was excellent value and I would recommend the motel to anyone in my situation.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Toowoomba, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

When we booked in to this hotel, I was rather surprised at the abrupt and unfriendly attitude of the reception staff there. I was a little worried at that stage, about what our room would be like, and upon entering the room, at first I was pleasantly surprised ... Until we started to unpack. Behind the bedside tables, when I went to plug my phone charger in, was noticeably dusty and dirty. Secondly, and the worst for me, was going to use the toilet, and discovering that it appeared as if it hadn't been cleaned for a week, there was visible urine stains all along the fold in the lid. The hand basin had copious amounts of ants crawling all over it, and up the walls leaving me to wonder if it had been cleaned either. Upon ringing reception for help, we were twice cut off rudely and told someone would call us back, no one bothered. Dinner in the restaurant was no better, with unfriendly, unhelpful staff, who bit my young sons head off for asking politely for an ice cream. At checkout the next day, there was no "Hope you enjoyed your stay Madam", my bill was shoved at me, my credit card snatched out of my hand, and no reciept was offered, I had to ask for that twice and the second time "IT"S PRINTING" was snapped at me. NO thank you and NO goodbye come again, was offered. I certainly will NEVER go to this hotel again, or recommend it to anyone else. These people are RUDE. The rooms themselves, are good value for money, but the lack of cleanliness, and the rudeness of the staff, completely let down the hotel. I wouldn't even give it 1*.

Room Tip: Our room was disgusting, wouldn't have any interest in seeing the others.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel? Share your experiences!