“Beyond disappointing!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mantra Hervey Bay

Save Saved
You added Mantra Hervey Bay to your Saves list
Mantra Hervey Bay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Buccaneer Drive, Urangan, Hervey Bay, Queensland 4655, Australia   |
Ranked #16 of 23 hotels in Hervey Bay
Houston, Texas
“Beyond disappointing!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

While the girl checking us in was helpful and friendly if a bit robotic, the entire property is cheesy. Yes, it is right on the marina but I would definitely stay at the Akama if didn't like dim and very depressing lighting, tired furnishings, rooms that overlook a pool that feels like it is right under one's nose with the strident noise of families. I really wanted to anesthetize myself the moment I walked into the room. What in the world possessed me to reserve a room here? Can the concept of convenience be so important to me that I give up my reason? The lobby was dim and cheesy but the rooms really took the cake. The only reason I gave this two stars was that the location is convenient for the whale watching boat tours but two stars was very hard for me to give. We were told to use our room phone if we needed anything but of course that line was dead while we were there. In fairness the hotel did send someone up to try to fix it but at 9:30 PM we just wanted to go to sleep. The gym was a tiny glass box and one would feel like they were in an aquarium. Obviously people are satisfied with this place and if you are a totally nonpicky person you would be fine. If you are picky stay away.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
MantraHB, General Manager at Mantra Hervey Bay, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Eliza564,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at Mantra Hervey Bay. You raise some valid points in regards to the age of some of the decor, and it is certainly an aspect that we are communicating to the various unit owners with a view to purchasing new items for their rooms. There are many good hotels/apartments in Hervey Bay including the one that you have identified. Some of these are a much more recent build than Mantra Hervey Bay, but they also do come in at a higher price point and they do not necessarily have the superb location that Mantra Hervey Bay has.

307 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Maleny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Excellent value for money.Locatrion fantastic - and best value for money stay we have had.I will return

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

Dear Ralph D,

I am pleased to hear that you found your stay at Mantra Hervey Bay such great value for money. We look forward to welcoming you back.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Just stayed at the hotel for two nights. Hotel could di with a bit of an update bit dated inside and out.

Staff we a little funny not rude but not really happy to see us or masivly wellcoming, had to ask where was breckfast and what time was check out. Just not very attentive i would say.

Booked a late check out so i could sleep befor a lond drive but then was woken at 8am by a room cleaner bangin on the door. And then shouting to her work mates right out side the door. Was not inmpessed.

On a good note view from room was great.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Jason-brown-stuf,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. I have shared your feedback with our front office team so that they are aware of the importance of consistently making our guests feel welcome.

I am sorry to hear of someone banging on your door at 8am. The housekeeping team do not start work until 9am so I am surprised to hear this feedback. I do apologise for any inconvenience caused by this early morning disturbance.

Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Had a lovely room on the top floor overlooking the marina - lots to watch all day. Marina area shops ok but several empty. Hotel located a way from the main areas of Hervey Bay and beaches. Great pool area. Nice spa bath - views from bathroom too. A good standard for a hotel room though young children next door could be heard. We got a great deal for 2 nights.

Room Tip: Obviously top floor (6ht) have best views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Christina H,

Thank you for your concise review of your stay at Mantra Hervey Bay.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We booked a 3 bedroom apartment which is a small 2 bedroom apartment with a separate hotel room adjoined by a hallway. The furniture was okay, but the bed was not overly comfortable. Right on the harbour, we had an apartment with a small balcony and view over the marina. The kitchen was well equipped but very small, in comparison the bathroom was quite large and included a washing machine and dryer. We had difficulty getting the bedroom light to turn out, as the light was built into the fan and operated via the remote control which took a while to work. We were fortunate to be allocated an apartment at the end of the building and therefore not subjected to the noise from lifts, slamming doors or people walking by our room at all hours mentioned by other reviewers. There are plenty of restaurants downstairs in the marina precinct, so no need to drive anywhere. This is a good location for the whale watching cruises which depart from the marina below. However, if you go out on a morning cruise (ours returned to the harbour just after 10am), beware the $10 per hour 'late checkout fee' they charge if you don't check out by 10am. I could understand charging a fee for a 2pm checkout, but 60 minutes, really?? In the current tourism downturn, this sort of pathetic money grab does nothing for a hotel's reputation.

Room Tip: A room at the end of the building is much quieter, particularly if you book a 3 bedroom apartment wh...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear MissMoet,

Thank you for providing balanced feedback on your recent stay at Mantra Hervey Bay. I am pleased to say that we are in the process of negotiating with the various apartment owners to purchase new beds for their rooms. We have already had 10 new beds installed in the last month, and hope to have many more over the coming months.

Oakey, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

My son and I stayed in room 327 last week for a relaxing short holiday and a whale watching experience on the harbour. The staff were very helpful and welcoming, expecially Michael, the surroundings and swimming pool stunning, the unit spacious and comfortable. However, the bedroom was across the hall from the lift which made all kinds of groaning and creaking noises constantly, so I didn't sleep very well. Also the door adjacent to our unit slammed every time the noisy neighbours entered or left their unit so I also nearly 'jumped out of my skin' many times. Children yellling and running up and down the hallways were annoying to all guests I'm sure - where were their parents?
I have never complained or written a review before, but the final straw was when we arrived home and discovered we had accidently taken a couch cushion from the unit whilst gathering our belongings. As an honest person I phoned the resort to tell them this. Sharon answered, and she asked me to post it back to them. I replied yes, would Monday do, as I'm not going out today. (A five hour drive home was enough activity for a half-centenarian for one day). Sharon rudely and angrily said "we have people coming into that unit today and you should post it today"! So I replied with " Im being an honest person and reporting what happened". She abruptly snapped "well post it back as soon as possible"! and hung up. I am sad to say I will not be recommending the Mantra to anyone. Carol

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Carol A,

Thank you for providing us with detailed feedback on your stay at Mantra Hervey Bay. I have passed on the positive and negative feedback to the relevant staff members.

Since your stay we have had the Elevator service provider attend to the lifts, and they did find a fault that was causing excessive noise. I believe this has now been rectified.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Mantra Hervey Bay was exxelent with service and their willingness to assist all their guests in other areas ( eg car hire) they supported the local family run businesses. The meals provided for our conference were exellent. The location of the hotel is superb with a fanastic view across the boat harbour. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: It depends on your needs, our room was what we needed with a great room facing the boat harbour,just...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
MantraHB, General Manager at Mantra Hervey Bay, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Carrol M,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at Mantra Hervey Bay. We certainly like to support local business who in turn provide excellent product/service to our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back next time you stay at Mantra Hervey Bay.

Colin McIntosh

Been to Mantra Hervey Bay? Share your experiences!