“Not a resort, but well equipped. Had issues with checking in.” 4 of 5 stars

Australis Shelly Bay Resort
466 Charlton Esplanade, Hervey Bay, Queensland 4655, Australia   |
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Hervey Bay
Airdrie, Canada
“Not a resort, but well equipped. Had issues with checking in.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed at this property for two nights. We booked at Booking.com and had requested a top floor room. When we arrived we had been given a second floor room, when I requested the top floor I was advised that it would cost more than the booked price. I agreed to pay, and was told they were fully booked but she would see what she could do. ( interestingly the vacancy sign was lit for the duration of our stay...). She said she would give us a "really nice room" not too close to the pool. When we got to our room we were directly above the pool, what an insult! Didn't think too much of the management after that. The place is reasonably quiet, but there are signs posted everywhere, to do...don't do... The apartment is fairly spacious and well equipped. The furnishings are dated, but the bed was comfortable. The parking is covered and secure. The wifi worked. We appreciated having the washer and dryer in the room. The view is okay, the beach across the road. There are not many restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: Not sure if a request would do any good after our experience.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Very good accommodation. We had a superb appartement.
Staff was very friendly and helpfull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Location on walking distance from shops and restaurants.
We would certainly stay here again.
You can also walk to the marina on the other side of Hervey Bay.

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We had a 1 bedroom on the top floor with a view of the water. Very quiet complex, comfortable bed and furniture, very clean, fully equipped apartment, with very friendly and helpful hosts. This was our 3rd stay over the last 5 years, and the property is a very good choice for easy access to the beach and the beach paths across the road. Bike rentals are available for a very good price, and there are 16 km. of bike paths to enjoy. The hosts will organize tours around town or to Fraser Is. if required, and there is a small pool, free underground parking, and an affordable Indian restaurant on site. 2 days free WIFI is provided, and there are many restaurants to chose from and a Woolworths for self catering all within a short driving distance. The property is centrally located along the long Esplanade, towards the quieter end.

Room Tip: Top floor gives you the best beach view through the trees.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

My mum and I stayed in a level 1 apartment for 6 nights - fabulous - well appointed, comfortable and perfect. Friendly staff who couldn't be more accommodating - Lisa, Brad and Renata. A shame to read a couple of whinging reviews from people who would obviously not be happy where ever they stayed. Great pool, wonderful Indian restaurant on site, tennis court - everyone's interests catered for. Helpful advice for a brilliant 4WD tour of Fraser Island. A friend of ours stayed in an apartment on the second floor and said the staff were great and thanks to all.

Thanks again and see you soon.

Stayed November 2013
qld
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

advertises itself as a resort; really just an apartment. Promised view is of the road and the bay beyond that . Unless you already know the area you will need to drive again to eat out. Booking.com price is high and I feel misrepresents this accommodation to get the Fraser Island visitors who do not know the options.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my fiance for a wedding being held next door. Room was clean and well sized. Bed and pillows not overly comfortable but for the price you can't complain. Location was very good can walk to the pier and great restaurants nearby

• Stayed September 2013
Gladstone, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We booked a small room:
--------------------------------------------
Max occupancy is 2. King bed. Cosy Studio King Bedroom with en-suite bathroom and laundry. No views from room. Aircon, Austar, LCD TV. FREE Secure undercover parking with Lift. FREE Wi-Fi, Tea/coffee making facilites only. Licensed Restrnt onsite. CHECK-IN TIME up to 7PM. ...
--------------------------------------------
OK...I have never seen a room like this before. You enter into a hallway which has tea and coffee making and fridge. The bedroom and bathroom are off the hallway. Both bedroom and bathroom are a good size, but being off the hallway is a bit strange. It has a door to another room at the end of the hall so maybe the room is opened up if they require a family suite? Bathroom had washer and dryer. VERY small flat screen on wall of the bedroom. Room was aircon'd but warning that there would be a charge if condensation on curtains/carpets when checking out. Which is probably an issue if you had the dryer and the air con going in such a small space. The reception offered to upgrade us ( at our cost of course) if the room was not suitable as they had had a lot of people complaining about the room.
-----------------------
We stayed on a Saturday night, first weekend of the school holidays and the resort was BOOKED OUT...no vacancies. Which makes the following a bit odd.
------------------------
Facilities: We were going to have a bbq dinner as we saw on the website that there was a bbq area for guests use. We went down and had to clean off table as covered in dust and dirt and turned on bbq (we were the only ones using the bbq area) and after about 10 mins realised our meat wasn't cooking. Also the BBQ uses a mat on the plate to avoid cleaning. Well I don't think it is too healthy as all the fat etc is just congealing under the paper and the BBQ never gets cleaned? Wouldn't be sure that Health Dept would agree with the paper on the plate thing? Surely cleaning the BBQ regularly would be a lot healthier? Anyway our dinner won't cook as there is NO GAS. So I go to the reception and ring the after hours number about 7.15pm ( reception was supposedly open til 7pm but when we returned from our walk at about 6.45pm it was closed ). They say they will be round in a sec to change bottle. While I am at reception two young kids are asking if I know why the pool is closed as it is supposed to be open until 8pm. I say I will ask when the people show up about the gas bottle. About 10 mins later a car pulls up and a woman in singlet and baggy shorts hops out and a guy dressed similarly with a "drop and go" gas bottle. They unlock the gas bottle and then spend about 15 mins trying to work out how to unscrew the gas bottle. Meanwhile I am not too happy sitting there with the rissoles and steak stewing half cooked( on the uncleaned BBQ with paper, salmonella here we come) and say well looks like we are having a late dinner tonight...his answer is " tell me about it". The woman then says that if we had BOOKED the BBQ they would have checked that it had gas. LOL.. no where did I see, hear or read that the BBQ needed to be booked and the motel is BOOKED OUT and it is SCHOOL HOLIDAYS, wouldn't you check that things were clean and functioning in peak times?
So then i ask why the pool is closed. Apparently because of the high winds today they closed the pool at 6pm. We just got back from our hour and a half walk at 6.45pm and we actually said what a beautiful calm evening it was, not a breeze even.
After they fix the BBQ and leave we start cooking our dinner again thinking we have just met the I Dont Give a damn managers who have been called away from their Saturday night to do stuff that they should have already organised, and then blamed us for not booking one of their FREE facilities. Then the kids are back and wanting to play in the Tennis court next to the BBQ area. They try and switch on the lights as the courts are open till 8pm and of course, the lights don't work. Now if I was the kids parents I would have been REALLY peeved. What is the point of staying in a resort during the SCHOOL HOLIDAYS if nothing is available.
When we got back to the room I tried to use their FREE wireless and as there is no compendium in the room I managed to get into the WIFI and then it is a site asking for credit card? Not sure how that works if it is free. So I had to hotspot my phone and use the WIFI...BUT as there is NO MOBILE RECEPTION in the room I had to go and sit out at the BBQ to use my computer. I have OPTUS. So if you want a Mobile reception/computer then don't book one of these rooms. And not sure about the FREE wifi and not sure about anything in the motel as we did look for the compendium and couldn't find one.

Yes the room was budget and it was " different" to any that I have stayed in but the LACK OF SERVICES and basically the rudeness of the managing staff and their " talk to the hand" attitude is one that can and SHOULD BE CHANGED.

I would never stay there again and would NOT recommend it to anyone. Unless I could get a guarantee that the management has changed and they have staff there that are actually doing their job of being a HOST to their clients and supplying the facilities advertised, cleaning and giving SERVICE in a service industry. They are in the wrong business.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Australis Shelly Bay Resort? Share your experiences!