“Great time in a beautiful place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nikau Lodge

You added Nikau Lodge to your Saves list
Nikau Lodge
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   53 Deal Street | close to State Hwy 1, Kaikoura 7300, New Zealand   |
Ranked #2 of 34 Kaikoura B&B and Inns
Charlottesville, VA
“Great time in a beautiful place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed two nights at the Nikau Lodge in Kaikoura...such a beautiful place, welcoming hosts, and an overall great experience. Breakfast was amazing (and not the "same old thing" that most places serve). We stayed in the Whale Room and enjoyed the breathtaking views of the beach framed by snow-capped mountains.

The amenities at the Lodge were great, and the hosts were so helpful. Thank you!

NikauLodge, Owner at Nikau Lodge, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
We are so glad you enjoyed your time in our beautiful town. We still are blown away ourselves by the views from here particularly from the upstairs rooms.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I booked this via the internet, always a bit of a gamble, but was delighted with my decision from the moment I arrived. Quentin, the owner along with his wife Jane, met me at the bus stop and took me to his home - a wonderful detached wooden house full of character and with a verandah looking over Kaikoura, the bay and the mountains beyond - superb!
My welcome was warm but not "over the top" and I was invited to join my hosts for a glass of wine after I had settled in. My room was spacious, plenty of storage space, an extremely comfortable double bed and an en suite bathroom that looked like it had been installed the week before it was so pristine. I also had a small bay window area where I could sit and admire the stunning view. Across the passageway from my room was a small 'fridge stocked with cold beer, water and wine all free and available.
Joining my hosts in their open plan ground floor area we shared a glass (or two!) of wine and this gave me a chance to get to know them, useful as Quentin is a little shy and retiring, but soon came out of his shell. They gave me directions into town and advised me as to where to eat - and drink.
Breakfast was a delight; the evening before you are asked to fill in a small breakfast questionnaire as to your preferences, and your choice of time, with everything from a continental breakfast to a full English? and other choices such as eggs Benedict - which I had with smoked salmon on a wonderfully fresh muffin. |There really is nothing like a good muffin.
So to summarise - as Kaikoura is such a wonderful place to see New Zealand wild life, I suggest you book a room at the Nikau Lodge as "kiwickly" as possible, and "seal" the deal with Quentin and Jane. Your decision certainly won't be an "albatross" round your neck and you will have a "whale" of a time.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the town and the bay, so I would recommend it - I think it was Dolphin.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
NikauLodge, Owner at Nikau Lodge, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Many thanks for your charming and eloquent review. We are very honoured to be in your top 3 B&B's. Quentin is working on his "shy and retiring" tendencies.
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

A wonderful start to our holiday around South Island. Jane and Quentin ( and Jack :) ) were very welcoming hosts and we really enjoyed our 2 night stay at Nikau Lodge. Yummy breakfasts too.
Thanks again! Sally and Steve

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
NikauLodge, Owner at Nikau Lodge, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for the review and we hope you and you Dad had a great trip around the South Island.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We very much enjoyed our stay at Nikau Lodge,
I can not agree more with the other reviews. Being a travel coordinator, I have travelled quite a lot all over the world and I absolutely loved this B&B.
We stayed in the Seal room and enjoyed the lovely view, the owners Quentin and Jane are very helpful, they gave us advise about what to do and see in the area, weather advise for the whale watch trip, the breakfast was fantastic, I loved the coziness and warmth of this B&B, with wooden floors, soft colours and decoration, comfortable high beds, nice bathroom products and a good location.
A pity we could only stay 1 night, we hope to go back one day.
Griet and Dries - Belgium

NikauLodge, Manager at Nikau Lodge, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. We also hope you might be able to come back some time and hopefully the weather will be more kind to you so that you can enjoy more of what Kaikoura has too offer.
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Our party of 2 couples had a wonderful time staying at Nikau Lodge in Kaikoura while on our "Babymoon". The B&B had beautiful views, was warm, lovely and clean, and had some nice touches that made us feel looked after (eg: cookies and drinks in our rooms, nice bodywash/lotions in the bathroom, the swan towels!, recording of the overnight rugby test on mysky). The breakfast was devine, we all ate far too much!
I wish we had spent more time in Kaikoura as there is so much to see and do, 2 nights were not enough.
Loved the spa pool, and Jack the dog was super cute.
Thanks for a lovely time and for looking after us so well Quinton and Jane.
Maree, James, Eric and Justine

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely. We enjoyed the view of the mountains and sea from the Whale and Seal rooms
NikauLodge, Manager at Nikau Lodge, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
What a fabulous review, thank you very much. Quentin said he couldn't have written it better himself!!!
Brunei
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We had a fantastic time at Nikau Lodge. The view from the lovely Crayfish Room was beautiful. Breakfast was great, as was the cookies and complimentary wine. Jane and Quentin could not have been more generous with their time; in conversations and lifts to beautiful places to walk from. Thank you.
Liz and Graham from the UK.

NikauLodge, Owner at Nikau Lodge, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
We were so pleased that you both enjoyed a couple of Kaikoura's wonderful walks and we were happy to help with transport for you. We enjoyed talking with you and thank you for your review.
Chicago, IL Unois, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed in the Whale Room, which overlooked the garden, green hills, snow-capped mountains, and the turquoise South Pacific. The owners were very personable and friendly and had great suggestions for places to eat and things to see. Very good cookies in the room and interesting breakfasts, e.g., omelettes, eggs benedict, and french toast with caramelized bananas. The bed was super-comfortable.

Room Tip: The Whale Room has the best views and is furthest away from road noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NikauLodge, Owner at Nikau Lodge, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
We are glad you enjoyed the Whale room, it does have such a great bed!! I agree with you that Quentin's cookies are good. Many thanks for the great review.

Been to Nikau Lodge? Share your experiences!