“dismay : Trip Advisor used as blackboard for personal derogatory comment” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hog and Pheasant - CLOSED

The Hog and Pheasant
1800 State Highway 1, Kaikoura, New Zealand
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
blenheim
“dismay : Trip Advisor used as blackboard for personal derogatory comment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I am intrigued that a venue such as Trip Advisor is interested in airing the views of small minded mean spirited, kiwis. I regularly stop at the Hog and Pheasant en route to Christchurch - i am in love with the mussel pies and as stated in the ad, the host makes b... good coffee , To see said host described as psycho by Katyone below is astounding - maybe she is so dim she is incapable of picking up on his obvious intelligence and extremely dry quick wit. Is she aware of the law surrounding slander and libel? Maybe said host could put her publicly written comment in the hands of his lawyer. I trained as a reporter - in my first job on the Evening Post in Wellington, i was trained to review restaurants for my own TOwn and Around column- we were well grounded in the laws of slander ,- to write her very personal derogatory comments in a public venue such as this is very questionable. Is she trained as a pshychologist and informed enough to call someone psycho? In my professional capacity i would describe the HOg and Pheasant as immaculately clean, B... good coffee, sumptuously delicious pies ( I havent as yet sampled anything else - cant get past the pies) - and the host and hostess as extremely friendly, helpful , witty and fun - Tall poppy syndromers such as Katyone writing mean spirited comments such as these, have the capacity to affect the livelihoods of hardworking good living kiwis - Trade Advisor - i think your comment lists should be vetted and ill meaning small minded comments such as Katyones should be deleted.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Christchurch, New Zealand
“A stunning day on the Kaikoura Coast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I use this cafe for a business meeting once every couple of weeks or so .I have always found it great and today was no exception. due to a wicked sweet tooth and over indulgence, I am no longer at liberty to inhale your typical cafe fare with the reckless abandon I once displayed. The slightest hint of my predicament and Sue , without any fuss or hesitation , whipped up a great one off salad that catered to my individual needs. Whilst sue worked her magic with the greenery , I passed the time with , Allan, the other half of the host team . I fully recommend that anyone who wants great scenery , excellent food and great company should stop here and inhale a mussel pie , made on the premises. Any one that doesnt appreciate good food or doesnt understand a dry , humerous wit should just keep on driving. I dont want to hear you moaning. Yout might just be the only blight on another great kaikoura day..........Dave R

Visited February 2013
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
“Fish and chips”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Bought takeway fish and Chips fom here before Christmas. You would think being the seafood capital of NZ they would be great, but no!!! the chips were under cooked and rubbery, the fish had barely seen the batter and the quantity for two people was hardly enough for one. Would not stop there ever again.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
New Zealand
“The Hog and Pheasant Kaikoura - Very strange & rude service!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Sort of nice food, (raw & undercooked fish).. very clean, but real rude psycho service from weirdo smart aleck guy serving us..I would not recommend this cafe for a visit, try somewhere else for better service and attitude. Such a pity as the location is gorgeous...don't be fooled by the fantastic sea-front location and clean shop....you will go away feeling like you have been short-changed!....there are better places to go....just loved Cheviot!!!! THE BEST!!!!!

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Great setting, ok food, strange service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

If I am hungry near Kaikoura I will choose this place again because the setting can't be beaten and I thought the food was good value. The menu is limited and my choice was not available, so I had an all day breakfast (nice). My companion had grilled fish and chips - the chips were not crispy, but also not greasy. The salad was tasty and generous. It was good value.

The service was unusual. The guy in charge was being a bit of a smart-aleck and, in spite of it being fairly quiet, chose to chat with his friends outside rather than wipe our table or clear crockery from other vacated tables.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere