“Best Restaurant in Kaikoura!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Organic, New Zealand
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Best Restaurant in Kaikoura!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I went to Hislop's for morning tea and had the most amazing carrot cake. Loved the atmosphere I decided to return for dinner with some friends. Two of us had Seafood Chowder. The best we have had in New Zealand. Other friend had the polenta which was also great. We all had dessert which was equally as good. Thanks for a great meal of tasty and quality food. Also loved the Gooseberry Spritzer.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Arlington, Virginia
“Just Dessert, Just Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I heard multiple reviews of how good this place was. And although I wasn't necessarily disappointed, I wasn't exactly wowed with our food. Again, I only had dessert so maybe needed to try their other menu items. The atmosphere was very nice and cozy, as well as the service.

Visited December 2012
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Adequate, without a lasting memory”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We wanted lunch. And a drink. To be honest I can't remember what my partner ordered. i know I had the fish of the day. It would have been terakihi , or perhaps gurnard, from it's appearance and taste, but we were not advised, which is unusual. I found it a little dry, indicating perhaps overcooking or not quite as fresh as could be. Wines started at about $10.50 a glass and rose through to $13 or so, which is a bit steep for a cafe style eatery. I know they are all organic, but 'd like to see relativity just the same. Also, we could see that the glass sereve size was not consistent, so if you are being charged $12 for a glass of wine and you can see someone else is getting more, that kind of sticks. Coffee, which I have had at Hislop's before, was good, and service generally efficient.

Visited January 2013
Ziqim, Israel
“Overpriced average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We read good reviews about the restaurant, and we came in and ordered seafood chowder and the vege dish.

The chowder was OK, but the vege dish was a few slices of toasted bread with some dips for 15 NZD. It's disappointing and overpriced.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London
“Healthy and tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Had a delicious meal at hislops. Homemade bread was delicious. Couldn't have the seafood chowder as I am allergic to mussels and they make it up beforehand, however my husband had it and it was a little heavy. We had monkfish for main with couscous, which was excellent, best monk fish I have ever had, cooked to perfection. We then had a desert selection to share, which was also wonderful. For wine we ordered sparkling Sauvignon bland, not something we had had before, which was very good value and very nice.

Visited December 2012