We are on a 10 week trip around New Zealand and a lot of our accommodation has been per-booked by a travel agent. This is the first problem we have encountered. We feel the agent made a mistake in booking us a studio room in this depressing collection of dull boxes. We are not interested in the website's boasts about it's Eco credentials or the ex owners views on the community etc. what we wanted was a comfortable studio apartment, with privacy and pleasant surroundings. What we got was:
1) a tiny room with a kettle and a fridge only accessible when the bed was moved
2) a complete lack of sound insolation, e.g. When the people in the adjoining apartment spoke at normal volume we could hear them as clearly as if they were standing beside our bed. It was possible to hear a spoon rattle in a cup and the kettle boiling. Our night's sleep was seriously disturbed by occupants of the neighbouring suite needing to make tea at 3.45 am and again at 6.00 am.
3) the location of Fairways is very poor. No on site facilities located on a fast noises highway requires the use of a car to shop, go to the beach, go for a meal. Not very Eco friendly!
4) the complex consists of a collection of dull box like buildings devoid of architectural merit and being situated in a low area does not easily afford views of the mountains. Sea views are prevented by a large clump of ugly pine trees
5). The tiny room was very stuffy but opening the window brough the added irritation of noise from the adjacent highway.
In conclusion these "studio" rooms are not suitable to market separately from the apartments to which they are connected by a locked internal door.
We had booked in for 2 nights but left after one dreadful night. We are not sure if we will get a refund but even if we do not we believe that life's too short to waste any further time at "The Fairways".
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Modern 1 and 2 bedroom apartments and studios offering luxurious fully self contained accommodation for travelers looking for some quality and friendly service that will your make to trip to Kaikoura a memorable one. Located just 3 km south of Kaikoura within Ocean Ridge between the Kaikoura Golf course and the Kaikoura winery. Your hosts are Graham and Robyn Lamond who live on site. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Fairways reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairways Hotel Kaikoura
- Fairways Motel Kaikoura