“Friendly and comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Motel   |   252 Revell Street, Hokitika 7810, New Zealand   |
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Hokitika
“Friendly and comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Very friendly and helpful owners. We enjoyed wonderful 2 day stay in Hokitika. Our daughter loved the garden tranpoline and swings. The room felt a little bit tilted, but spacious enough for 3 of us. Next time we visit Hokitika, we definitely come back. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

frankee55, Owner at 252 Beachside Motels & Holiday Park, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to leave this lovely review. Yes the garden is great for all ages we have had choirs singing there and people making friends in the summer months its great to have fenced space for the kids to run. Yes the first 4 rooms of the motel are slightly tilted, nothing to do with earth movement but a lot to do with whoever laid the concrete pad in the first place lol!! Look forward to a return visit from you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Invercargill, New Zealand, South Pacific
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We stayed do 2 nights and , by far , the beds were the comfiest of any motel/hotel I have stayed in . Was a bit cooler 2nd night so staff popped in and just turned heaters on while we were out . Can't beat that sort of thoughtfulness . Loved the coast and the people .

• Stayed July 2014
Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. We always make sure the rooms are warmed up in the winter if possible and its good to let us know what time you think you will be arriving. Friendliest people in New Zealand wow that is a lovely pat on the back for us thank you. Hope to host you again one day.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

We have stayed at this Motel on numerous occasions and Brian and Adele's friendly attitude and excellent accommodation has always been a favourite. We have a dog who has always been welcome at the Motel. It is difficult to find good pet friendly accommodation in New Zealand but this one is tops of the list.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
frankee55, Owner at 252 Beachside Motels & Holiday Park, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thanks Jane glad you enjoy it here and its not hard to accommodate nice people and their well behaved pets. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

- friendly staff
- locate in the city center
- next to grow worm cave
- warm bedroom
- small kitchen, but full cooking equipment
- great view

don't like
- The bathroom's door couldn't open sometime.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review we appreciate it very much.
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Friendly welcome. Tidy motels with plenty of parking. We liked the fact that the living area was a good size for a two bedroom motel as we had stayed in one in greymouth that couldn't fit the six of us in the living area. Kitchen was a bit small but well equipped. Lovely quiet spot with beach very handy which the kids loved. We had done the wilderness trail on our bikes and they happily stored our bikes securely which was great.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for leaving a review of our motel we appreciate you kind words and glad you enjoyed the West Coast Wilderness Trail.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

On arrival Brian was very friendly and knowledgable about the local area and made lots of helpful suggestions. We did not however realise until after checking in that the camper van site was basically a car park with no views despite the beautiful beach being a stones throw away. The communal eating area was practically opposite our pitch and people started chatting loudly over breakfast at 06.30! Whilst Hokitika is well placed for local activities this site was not for us, but had free wifi which was welcomed.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Sorry you had a noisy experience here at our Campervan Park it is small and some people have no idea they are making so much noise. Yes it is a compact hard stand site but when we have a heavy rain shower here on the west coast it is a blessing as the water drains very quickly and there are no broken bones from people slipping on wet grass. We are called Beachside Motels and are very clear in our advertising that we are adjacent to the beach but have no beach views so am sorry you were disappointed with our little patch but had you come back to the office and told us you were unhappy we would have gladly refunded your camp fee. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review it clarifys things for other travellers.
Picton, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I told the truth to Brian about my miniature fox terrier sleeping with me and asked if that was acceptable to which he said yes but don't tell my wife. I offered to bring sheets and he said not to as the sheets weren't theirs and they were laundered. I asked again was he sure it would be ok and he said yes. I phoned again from Christchurch to say I would be late and he was most pleasant. On arrival Adele said Brian told her about the dog sleeping with me and I was not allowed a motel under these circumstances. Adele said it was disgusting to sleep with dogs plus more comments.I was stunned by her rudeness. I didn't argue or make a scene. This was my first trip back to the coast since my husband passed away who was a Coaster. I live in Picton and I was a long way from home. This shattered me and I am still upset.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Adele D, Owner at 252 Beachside Motels & Holiday Park, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Brian and I are very distressed by this review that you have left. We agree that Brian (who by the way was sympathetic to your story of your husbands death and that you were coming over with your dog who was with your husband when he died your story left him feeling sorry for you and this was his mistake - he was thinking with his heart not his head when he said the dog could sleep with you. It wasnt until Brian told me of your intentions that he realized his error of judgement and by then it was too late to contact you. When you arrived I suggested that yes by all means stay - either leave the dog in the car or make a bed up on the floor and your reply was "I cant gaurantee that" - that was what ended our discussion - you left me absolutely no option. I never once said and I repeat never said that sleeping with your dog is disgusting so please lets clear that up. I felt sorry for you - you are obviously grieving for your husband and you love your dog as a child I understand that but this is our livelihood and yes we are pet friendly but with rules and you made the decision not to abide by the rules. I hope in the future you can look back on this and put yourself in our position - your are welcome and your dog anytime as long as you bring its bed or leave it in the car. We have had many happy travellers who have done just that and enjoyed their time at 252 Beachside - one rule for all.

Been to 252 Beachside Motels & Holiday Park? Share your experiences!