“Good value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Greymouth
Sydney, Australia
“Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Good location and value. Personable and friendly service. Room was clean and well kept. You need to drive into town but some eating places are walkable. Clothes line and pegs out the back makes washing and drying easy.

Room Tip: There are second floor rooms which may be quieter but the ground floor room I had was comfortable an...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Bryan W, Manager at Bella Vista Motel - Greymouth, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Thank you for your review and great to see you enjoyed. I hope the rest of your trip was Fantastic. Bryan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Room smelt damp and seemed neglected. Needs a revamp. Not cleaned properly. Operator helpful and suggested a very good place to eat (Buccleugh's). Ample car parking. Would stay in accommodation closer to town centre.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. My apologies for the room as we pride ourselves on our cleanliness. However it was interesting reading all you other hotel reviews. Im glad you enjoyed your Dinner from our recommendation. Your comment of staying closer to town. If you noticed up this strip, most of the motels are on it and we are the closest so good luck with getting closer. We are 1km from the town centre but close to all ammendities where we are with Restaurants, Bars, Supermarkets, Aquatic Centre, hockey turf, Monteiths. So from central location, we very lucky.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

The Bella Vista is fine for a night or two; it is clean, quiet, easy to find and within easy walking distance of the town centre. The room was a little on the small side but for one night that didn't matter. The manager was very friendly and did give us a couple of suggestions of where to eat but as it was a Sunday we were very limited.

I may be doing Greymouth an injustice but from what I saw of it this town is not a pretty place; it so reminded me of David Lynch's 'Twin Peaks'. It is very industrial with the railway lines running through the town centre and looks rather sad and run-down not what I'd expected from the description 'The hub of the Transalpine routes'.

I'd recommend the Bella Vista but not the town of Greymouth unless you are just here to get on the train.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and i hope you enjoyed your stay and the rest of the trip. Yes the town doesnt look great at the moment with a lot of empty shops. Earthquake being the main reasons. So a lot of places have either moved into containers or moved out while work is being done. The outlook ahead however is bright with some new business and old ones moving in as work is done. Thank you for your review.
Canberra ACT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Bella Vista Greymouth should be considered as a transit hotel and not a place to stay for a few days.
Owner is very friendly and helpful and advised us on a nice hotel to eat at.
We stayed in a studio room which does not have much room-difficult to find places for our luggage without tripping over it.
Room was clean , towels needed replacement and the room was very tired looking.
OK to stay if you are catching the Tranz Alpine as we were.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bryan W, Manager at Bella Vista Motel - Greymouth, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for your review. Based on your other 32 reviews, i will take this one as a Plus as most of your reviews give 3 star or below, so Thank you. We welcome your thoughts and i agree the towels in your room were getting tired and we have replaced the towels. The issue with room size i passed onto the Owners as they built them but at the same time, they are advertised as Standard studios and thats the size of most Standard studios i have stayed in. If you want more space as you obviously did, then there is bigger studios. Due to a serious Illness and Treatment, the last 2 rooms wasnt refurbished so agree the room you were in and the 1 beside it are tired. But you will be happy to know that the paint and Carpet etc has been ordered so those 2 rooms will be done soon.
Hobart, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Perhaps the worst motel experience ever. After a long drive down New Zealand's beautiful west coast in rainy, windy weather, we were given a grungy, foul smelling room with stained chairs and marked-up walls. Not very welcoming. Worse, a few hours later we returned from dinner, got settled and then a knock on the door. The landlady told us we had to move rooms. My partner, arm in cast from freshly broken wrist was just settling into bed. I questioned why we should move and the owner went 'ballistic' insisting it was our fault! We should have known that it wasn't the correct room. What??? Gave us an hour and said she was going to get her husband to sort us out! Wow! We moved.

Otherwise, New Zealand is full of the nicest, kindest and most laid-back people on earth. Go there, just stay away from the Graymouth Bella Vista.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Bryan W, Owner at Bella Vista Motel - Greymouth, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
I expected this review. Yes it was unfortunate but not exactly as the guest has told it. This guest had booked a Compact studio. I guess they were just after something a bit cheaper. We were training a Young lady and had left her for the first time. When these guests arrived, she put them into a Family unit. Our mistake. This unit has brand new Carpet and has just been painted so i guess the part about stains etc wasn't true. As they knew, the town was very full. and if i hadnt had my Family unit sold, i would have left them in that room, But after trying to find the family another place, there wasnt anything, so my wife went to speak to them to see if it was ok if we could change them. I guess because they had such a Big room with spa Bath etc etc for such a low price, they obviously didnt want to move. Yes the conversation did get heated but it was because the guest was refusing to move. My wife thought it was best to walk away and when i went to see them he was quick to apoligise for his outburst. so he admitted he got heated. The couple did move and for that we upgraded them to a Bigger unit than they had booked plus gave them a free Continental breakfast for the troubles. I understand they were upset but so would have been the family that would have turned up without a room.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Drove from Christchurch to Greymouth and stayed at this motel during our holidays in NZ in Sep 2013. A clean and nice motel, near to restaurants and fast food joints. Helpful host who gave us tips to some nice places for dinner.

Room Tip: Ask for the ground floor if u have huge luggage.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dunedin, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was a good place to stay, the rooms were clean and tidy - in saying that, there were stains on the tea cups - rings from previous visitors so I cannot say it was excellent. The staff were great - really helpful and accommodating. The milk came in little jugs - a great message for sustainability! I would have loved to have been able to leave my heater on a thermostat so I got to walk into a room that was not freezing but it was operated by the key in the slot so that was not meant to be. I am not sure about other prices around the town but it was not an unpleasant stay and I would consider returning. I got a great meal at a little place down the road called The Rec.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Bryan W, Owner at Bella Vista Motel - Greymouth, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Hi there and thank you for the review. We are hugely disappointed with the stains on the tea cups and Apologise to you for that. That is totally unacceptable and wont happen again. Anyone that stays here knows we pride ourselves on Cleanliness and Qualmark has given us 100% for 6 years now so this issue will be addressed. Again apologise. The key tag was in place when we came here but I do support it. Most of my regular reps ask for a 2nd key if they want to keep things going and normally if it cold I will have heaters going before the guest gets here if I know a approx. time. Once the room heats up, it holds its heat pretty good. Unfortunately its the old problem where someone has let everyone else down and they tried to go out and leave things running and put a chair in front of the heater and things all but caught fire, so the key tag is a safety thing for other guests. But as I say I do give a 2nd key out. I hope the rest of your stay was great and you had a safe trip home. Thank you for your feedback. It will be addressed today.

Been to Bella Vista Motel - Greymouth? Share your experiences!