“Dont waste your time if the restaurant is busy...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Paroa Hotel

You added Paroa Hotel to your Saves list
Paroa Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   508 Main South Road | Paroa, Greymouth 7805, New Zealand   |
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Greymouth
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Dont waste your time if the restaurant is busy...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Day of Kumara races, after working all day, turn up for a few beers and a meal and get treated like garbage. Well before the pi$$heads from the races turned up, we were automatically tarred with the same brush and only offered plastic cups, and were rudely spoken down to when we asked for a normal glass. The meal itself was average to poor (well done steak when asked for medium, and battered scallops deep fried into balls of crap, I hope these weren't fresh as thats just insulting!)

Hope the 500 people they claimed they were expecting was enough to cover their costs for their quiet days. We were planning to eat there every night, now we'll never eat there again due to how we were treated. I will also suggest to any other travellers to find another restaurant (The Recreation Hotel Restaurant we went to the next 2 nights showed how it really should be done!)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
paroaham, Owner at Paroa Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
I am disappointed with this review from Matt C as I personally dealt with this guest and was quite taken aback by his frustration over a plastic cup. Kumara Races is an annual horse racing event on the West Coast one which boasts that it attracts over 20,000 people to the course. This is held on the 2nd Saturday of January every year. This is event is one night of the year for us at Paroa Hotel and as Matt C said we were expecting over 500 people to embark on the hotel. For that reason we cannot afford to be supplying glassware to all of these people as the bar could not sustain the volume of glassware required for such an amount of people. This is done by all hotels in the area (and similar events around NZ) on this date that have large volumes of people embarking on their premises. One can only assume that when Matt C came to the bar for a drink that he had attended the races and was served into a plastic cup, when Matt C confronted us about the plastic cups it was explained to him why this was done (but we found him a glass for his drinks) however it had obviously left a sour taste in his mouth which carried on into his dinner. Matt C explained to me that he had been working at the Races for the TAB (New Zealand's Sport and Racing Gambling Agency) and had obviously been dealing with what he called "pi$$heads" all day at the races. I can totally understand that he didn't want to be tarred with the same brush after dealing with people all day, however our staff can not possibly identify on this particular date who are race goers and who aren't. I take all reviews seriously, however in this instance I believe this is a total over-reaction to an insignificant issue.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

People make the experience great and this is no exception Alan the manager and his team are awesome. This place is a must we really enjoyed our stay.its a little bit out of Gretmouth but don't let that deter you great kiwi hospitality thanks

• Stayed November 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Big meals, small price and great service!

The ribs were finger-licking good and so big I did not get to try a desert.
My Grandmother had the roast which was so big she could not finish it and my Mother had the surf and turf asking for very very well done steak (which some restaurants have difficulty with) and they cooked it exactly to her specifications.

I will be going to this restaurant again when I'm back in Greymouth for Christmas :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have mixed feelings about my stay at the Paroa hotel. Firstly, the website descriptions are a little deceptive and in my personal opinion the accommodation needs some refurbishment. Whilst there was nothing I could put my finger on I got the impression the accommodation is run as more of a sideline than a primary focus. Certainly, compared to other places we stayed in on this trip the Paroa hotel didn't offer as good value for money. Breakfast was a bit disorganised but I fully appreciate that at the time we stayed the owner was going through a difficult court case involving his sons death at the Pike River mine disaster. On that note I wish Bernie every success with the court case & hope those responsible are held to account. Thanks.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
rusty007
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed for two nights over Queens Birthday weekend 2012. This is probably one of the first places we've stayed without me checking up the reviews on Trip Advisor. I have to say that the photos on the internet about this place was what drew us.
On arrival, I was a bit disappointed about the room being so "dated" but I guess beggars can't be choosy. I picked this place because it allowed dogs! I have to say that the only negative would be the interestingly dated decor within the room.

Aside from that, everything else was what we expected. The room was clean and spacious, warm and the bed comfortable - what more could you ask for really? The owner, his employees greeted us with a smile and at the end, I came to realise that despite the room, the people make it all worth coming here again. We ate at the restaurant for two nights in a row. We also mingled with a few locals at the pub.

There's limited cell phone reception here and this can be taken both ways. We found it a blessing not to have so many people interrupt us for our quiet weekend getaway.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Keewatin, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

There are problems using the internet to find motel rooms and one can never really be sure what you're going to get. The comments were good for the Paroa and the location looked good (right on the Tasman Sea) but in reality the room we had was really old style and although we were comfortable enough we thought we overpaid for what we got. There was a weird smell the first night but that seemed to clear up for the second night. The sea is there but because of some flooding along the shore one has to walk a considerable distance to find access to the beach. Internet wasn't so good but then that was typical for almost every place in New Zealand. TV was OK and parking was OK.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Ilkley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

There is nothing particularly fancy about the Paroa Hotel but it is a great stopover when travelling down the west coast of South Island. The rooms are not luxurious but they are of a good size, are clean and are well equipped. Our room had a small deck facing towards the ocean and was a great place to enjoy a quiet beer or sundowner. Friendly staff in the adjacent bar/restaurant.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Paroa Hotel? Share your experiences!