“Too far from town” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Charles Court Motel

You added Charles Court Motel to your Saves list
Charles Court Motel
4.0 of 5 Motel   |   350 Main South Road | South Beach, Greymouth, New Zealand   |
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Greymouth
Mount Barker, Australia
“Too far from town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The motel itself was quite satisfactory as motels go but way too far from the city centre.(probably our fault for not being more specific in our instructions to the travel agent). The room was a good size and the owner very helpful in suggesting places to see and where to eat. As it turned out we cooked for ourselves this night. The beach (or rocky foreshore) was just behind the motel and the wild seas were fantastic. No way I would swim there.Only there one night on a loop around the South Island. Walked the Woods Creek track which is well worth the drive on a gravel road.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at the Charles Court Motel. The rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable and came with a good sized bathroom. The beach is located just behind the motel so you can go for lovely walks. The staff were very helpfull and provided us with information about the area including decent places to eat, as well as maps of Greymouth. I found the bed to be very comfortable and thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. We would be happy to return anytime!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

have just stayed here and a lovely unit with kitchen facilities,parking outside your door,only problem for some maybe it is a wee way out of town if you have no transport,the beach is through the back gate,we had a spa bath in our room,the hosts are really helpful,was only 1 night and shocking weather but would return anytime to here

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Victor Harbor SA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

We would recommend this motel to travellers. The bedrooms were clean, spacious, well appointed, with excellent heating, good kitchen facilities and a large bathroom. We appreciated the helpful staff who were generous in providing good information about the region. The bed may be a little soft and springy (we recognise that this is a personal preference), but this would be our only criticism.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stayed three nights: two adults and three children (10, 8 and 5). Our girls thought they had found paradise! A swimming pool, spa pool, and a flying fox to beat all flying foxes. To top it off there was a games room, with more than just a dusty dart board. We found the unit to be very comfortable, and the hosts were helpful and welcoming. This was one of the best family accommodation experiences we've had.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

I had booked and PREPAID for a 2-bedroom unit through my agent 1 month prior to my arrival but when I arrived, the owner just gave me a key to 1-bedroom unit without saying anything. When I discovered it was not what I had booked and prepaid, I complained. The owner simply said she gave my room to someone else and this was only what she could offer and if I was not satisfied, I could cancelled and looked for another motel. With severe weather (strong wind and heavy rain) at 8 pm and children, it was not wise to move around, so I took that room. She gave me refund only when I mentioned that this 1-bedroom should be cheaper than 2-bedroom that I prepaid. Had I not asked, I wonder she would honestly give me my refund. However, apart from questioning of owner's intregity, the motel otherwise fairly meets up to standard.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I was in New Zealand last November for 5 nights, 2 of these were in Greymouth on route to the Glaciers. I was originally meant to stay in Christchurch but after the Earthquake, my accommodation had become unavailable, so as I wanted to go to the glaciers it made sense to find somewhere nearer that side of the island.

I collected the car from the airport and made my way across Franz Josef only to have a rock from a passing truck smash into my windscreen. Not the best of starts, but anyway I continued. 3 hours or so later I arrived in Greymouth and found the motel. The lady, I assume is Rachel was at the front desk and she was very welcoming and incredibly helpful to give me info on what was about the town. I explained my drama and again she was very helpful with suggestions which I resolved with a quick phone call to the hire company.

When I got to my room, I have to say I was really impressed. Living area was huge, a kitchenette and a shower / toilet room everything very clean and secure and a place for my car right outside the apartment.

I really felt at home there and the road where it is situated is perfect access to the great Glaciers, 2 hours south and just a straight road all the way. I would definitely be stopping here again if I ever go to New Zealand and would highly recommend this as a travel stop.

My only regret was not spending my 5 days in full there.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Charles Court Motel? Share your experiences!