“Better than comfortable hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Kingsgate Hotel Greymouth
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   32 Mawhera Quay, Greymouth 7801, New Zealand   |
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Greymouth
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
“Better than comfortable hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

After reading some of the reviews on Kingsgate Hotel Greymouth, i was a little concerned, yet i didnt need to be. The room we had was well presented, the facilities in it very good, and the staff were most helpful.
Breakfast was good, and plentiful. The reception area warm and tidy, and some excellent historical photos are on its walls. Harbour walk right over the road to enjoy.

Room Tip: Rooms on North side have beautiful views, preference would be NOT to chosse a Standard room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

The room was average and the ceiling leaked.
Front desk staff were cold and unwelcoming. Bar staff were the redeeming factor. Would not recommend as pleasant place to stay. They could have offered some recompense for the in incessant dripping of the ceiling. Not happy.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Staying at this hotel was more disappointing than enjoyable.
The reception basicslly hesitated to serve us once we arrived and no one helped us bring our bags in. The room had a bad smell, had food scraps on the floor, food wrappers behind the bed and what it looked like to be bread crumbs THROUGHOUT the whole queen bed I was meant to sleep in. Of course it's only natural to make you feel a bit disgusted. The bathroom was out dated and needs serious work.
The restaurant was expensive and the waiters forgot half our order. My boyfriend and I ignored these bad conditions and stayed for one night and left first thing in the morning. They didn't refund us our second night we stay we already paid for, although they did offer us an upgrade which we were not interested in at all. The only good thing about our stay was the prices of drinks during happy hour, which we both clearly needed!
Overall, we will not be staying here again. Waste of money!

Room Tip: waste of money!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

For the price of the room for two people I was pleasantly surprised. It does need a makeover but it was very clean and as I only need a place to lie my head it was nice for someone staying on a budget. The force of the water from the sink was a bit on the high side and the shower was REALLY touchy (lots of hot and just a smidge of cold LOL) but the force was nice and as it was a bath/ shower ....really roomy. Staff at the hotel were very nice and welcoming. Wifi is NOT free in the rooms but you get 20 minutes (or X amount of MB, whichever is reached first) in the lobby area. Phone calls are also quite expensive...use your own phone and costs will be kept down.
Overall for a nights stay...I think it was worth the money spent.

Room Tip: Room Tip. Room 202 Balcony faced the river. Nice view of the river mouth. Quiet room. Water pres...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Timaru
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed one night here after travelling in tranz scenic alpine train. Staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast included. Only one selection of egg,scrambled which were a bit firm and overcooked. Would of been nice to have a choice of eggs. No mushrooms in buffet, bacon a bit fatty. Asked if we would like coffee and was charged for it because it was made and not from machine. Should of been told beforehand. Bedroom had stains on ceiling. Pipes running along it where sprinkler system were attached. Looked a bit old and tired. Bed was far too soft and spongy. Think rooms could do with a makeover. Bathroom however looked like it had had a makeover. Clean and tidy. Good shower. Only one lift working. Not much happening in greymouth so probably wont stay again.

• Stayed May 2014
Fort Mohave, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

We stayed here for one night and the reception area was very nice, even a restaurant in the Hotel. Did not eat there as it was a bit expensive. Very close to the Bus and train station. Room was quite nice with a balcony over looking part of the town and the Grey River. Think our toilet must have been leaking a bit also from comment from someone else, as I remember my friend wiping up some water here in our room. Only problem I had there was when I checked to see if there were any charges for an outside line. The young girl told me upon check-in that it was 30 cents, and when I checked out it had become $1.50!! I said, yesterday the young girl told me 30 cents and today you are charging me $1.50? The new girl told me she had come in from another Hotel. To me, no excuse!! Girl should have been trained properly!! This was the "only" place in all of our stays in NZ that charged a fee for an outside line. To me, it's just sheer greed and it made me mad that the charges were more than I was first told!! I doubt it would break them to do it for free and it's just another way of getting some extra money out of you. Shame on this place!!! Doubt I'd stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Arrived at the Kingsgate early evening & found the hotel with ease. The Kingsgate reception staff were friendly & helpful.
Our room was located in the middle of the two storey block of units. The room was clean but very dated & had very strong smell of mould or water damage, but we couldn't not find any evidence of offending odour (yet).
TV & all room appliances work great.
The bed was comfy & slept well. It was upon showering we discovered the cause of the offending odour. Having placed my cloths on the floor ready for throwing on after my shower I discovered they had somehow gotten very wet. I thought I had been very diligent keeping the shower curtain closed, but investigated my possible shower curtain error anyway. To my relief there was no shower curtain placement issues on my part, Worse!!
I discovered my cloths (jeans, soaks, shirt, smalls & new expensive Ice Breaker jacket) had all become wet due to plumbing leaking from behind the toilet, Gross. Further investigation of the bathroom indicated this may have been going on for a while with water damaged skirting etc in bathroom & damp carpet at doors edge.
I informed morning reception on checking out, they said they would investigate & only offered us a $20 refund on room rate. It cost $16 to get jacket cleaned.
But hey I'm sure that's just an isolated incident.

• Stayed March 2014

Been to Kingsgate Hotel Greymouth? Share your experiences!