“Tidy hotel but rooms could do with a makeover” 3 of 5 stars

Kingsgate Hotel Greymouth
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   32 Mawhera Quay, Greymouth 7801, New Zealand   |
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Greymouth
Timaru
“Tidy hotel but rooms could do with a makeover”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night here after travelling in tranz scenic alpine train. Staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast included. Only one selection of egg,scrambled which were a bit firm and overcooked. Would of been nice to have a choice of eggs. No mushrooms in buffet, bacon a bit fatty. Asked if we would like coffee and was charged for it because it was made and not from machine. Should of been told beforehand. Bedroom had stains on ceiling. Pipes running along it where sprinkler system were attached. Looked a bit old and tired. Bed was far too soft and spongy. Think rooms could do with a makeover. Bathroom however looked like it had had a makeover. Clean and tidy. Good shower. Only one lift working. Not much happening in greymouth so probably wont stay again.

• Stayed May 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Fort Mohave, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

We stayed here for one night and the reception area was very nice, even a restaurant in the Hotel. Did not eat there as it was a bit expensive. Very close to the Bus and train station. Room was quite nice with a balcony over looking part of the town and the Grey River. Think our toilet must have been leaking a bit also from comment from someone else, as I remember my friend wiping up some water here in our room. Only problem I had there was when I checked to see if there were any charges for an outside line. The young girl told me upon check-in that it was 30 cents, and when I checked out it had become $1.50!! I said, yesterday the young girl told me 30 cents and today you are charging me $1.50? The new girl told me she had come in from another Hotel. To me, no excuse!! Girl should have been trained properly!! This was the "only" place in all of our stays in NZ that charged a fee for an outside line. To me, it's just sheer greed and it made me mad that the charges were more than I was first told!! I doubt it would break them to do it for free and it's just another way of getting some extra money out of you. Shame on this place!!! Doubt I'd stay here again.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

Arrived at the Kingsgate early evening & found the hotel with ease. The Kingsgate reception staff were friendly & helpful.
Our room was located in the middle of the two storey block of units. The room was clean but very dated & had very strong smell of mould or water damage, but we couldn't not find any evidence of offending odour (yet).
TV & all room appliances work great.
The bed was comfy & slept well. It was upon showering we discovered the cause of the offending odour. Having placed my cloths on the floor ready for throwing on after my shower I discovered they had somehow gotten very wet. I thought I had been very diligent keeping the shower curtain closed, but investigated my possible shower curtain error anyway. To my relief there was no shower curtain placement issues on my part, Worse!!
I discovered my cloths (jeans, soaks, shirt, smalls & new expensive Ice Breaker jacket) had all become wet due to plumbing leaking from behind the toilet, Gross. Further investigation of the bathroom indicated this may have been going on for a while with water damaged skirting etc in bathroom & damp carpet at doors edge.
I informed morning reception on checking out, they said they would investigate & only offered us a $20 refund on room rate. It cost $16 to get jacket cleaned.
But hey I'm sure that's just an isolated incident.

• Stayed March 2014
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Yes, it is a bit old and needs a freshen up - however, I have stayed here a couple of times. My favourite room is 1209. Its up top. And its a suite....lounge, main bedroom and an ensuite / bathroom as well as separate kitchen. Balcony over looking the town. A great view in the lounge over the Grey River and out to the bar.

Now, I shouldn't telling you this...but what a great place to stay. They probably have other suites up here like this - but honestly - I want to move in permanently! And they don't charge much - very reasonable.

I have read some of the other reviews and I feel they are a bit harsh.

The staff are friendly and efficient. Remember people - you are on the West Coast.

Room Tip: Ask for 1209 if there are just two of you...or one. You'll love it.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

We stayed overnight at this place. Rooms were small and squashy. Bathrooms haven't been cleaned. I don't think they have even opened the bathroom door for a while. They didn't even have a microwave in the room.

Wellington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

As a family that often travels NZ on a budget Kingsgate Hotels are a favourite of ours as they are usually good sized rooms, suitable for a family and very reasonably priced ...but then we made the mistake of staying at the Greymouth one.
It started off badly when the reception staff didn't even move when I approached the counter - two staff looked at me then turned their backs. One then called over her shoulder 'spell your last name'. It was off putting to say the least.
Once we got to the room I was happier, it looked bright and an effort had been made to update it. Then I noticed the cleaning standards.,,or lack of going by the rubbish under the bed, the filthy windowsills and unclean bath/shower. The shower was unusable with just a small trickle of water, the quality of sleep poor - the rooms lack any soundproofing and was woken by an alrm in another room.
The price may be good but if you can't even have a shower then there is hardly any point to staying there I would recommend giving it a miss.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dunedin, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

This place looks and feels tired. The lounge and kitchen were large but the furniture well worn and the kitchen sink was dirty. The bathroom had been upgraded and was very good, but obviously standing out from the apartment. A large bedroom with lots of storage. The restaurant was reasonable with acceptable food and wine list. The staff were helpful. Average at best overall.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Kingsgate Hotel Greymouth? Share your experiences!