“Family restaurant” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pub
Whangarei, New Zealand
“Family restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We went as a very large group and the seating arrangement unfortunately meant some of us had our backs to each other. I had the medium spare ribs. Yum could never have eaten the large ones When they came out I though oooh only 4 I'm going to starve however there was a lot of meat on them very tender and succulent and I did not have to resort to using fingers because they were so very tender. Service was very very slow and although we had had nibbles beforehand we were still getting agitated at the delay. Friendly staff helped.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Perth, Australia
“Dropped in for a drink”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I dropped in for a quick drink as we had some time to spare. We only stayed for one drink as I found the cigarette smell was awful and with the door from the verandah open the smoke was coming into the bar area. I also found the bar area is in need of good clean and a coat of paint on the wall as the hotel is looking very tried. We were going to come back for a meal as we are visiting family in the area but after reading an earlier comment I thin we will give it a miss.

Visited November 2013
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
“Seriously disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Recently, we were on business and found our selves having dinner at the Kamo hotel. First impressions were a reasonable menu with moderate pricing in nice surroundings.
The entrees came out and although tasty were expensive for what they were.
The mains on the other hand were seriously disappointing. They had a t bone steak special on and the cut was only about 10mm thick. My colleague asked for rare and received well done.
The lamb shank on mash that myself and my other colleague ordered came out on reconstituted dried potato. The meal cost $130.00 for 3 of us with minimal drinks and only 2 entrees.
Now when paying this sort of money, you would expect that some time could have been taken to make fresh mashed potato. In future we will make the trip back into Whangarei and find better quality food for better value.

Visited November 2013