“Go...you will love it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kingdom of Zion

Kingdom of Zion
Gray Road, Kamo, Whangarei, New Zealand (Formerly Zion Wildlife Gardens)
09 435 0110
Cardiff, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
“Go...you will love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Travelled there from Auckland in our hired camper van, took just over an hour and half. We were booked on the 2pm course but as we got there early, I phoned and asked if we could go on the earlier one, no problem at all.
Having watched 'the lionman' on tv, and being a leo, I was really excited see the animals in the flesh! The tour started on time with a safety information session with our guide. We then proceeded to take the tour, we had, a few minutes earlier seen 'Craig' who was giving a personalised tour (which is more expensive). He was very pleasant and went on his way to meet his party.
To get back to the tour...our guide was very knowledgeable and works there on weekends as a volunteer as do most of the staff there. I'm not going to get into the politics of the previous management but the park has now been renamed The Kingdom of Zion.
All staff are currently unable to handle the animals (a MAFF directive). The animals looked healthy and well cared for. Our guide spoke to them and in most cases, they responded.
One thing I, and others taking the tour noted, when Craig was in view,(doing his own tour) they wanted nothing to do with us, they were far too busy looking adoringly at him!.
There are some drinks and gifts to purchase but are rather limited as they haven't long reopened. They do need more people to visit so they can continue the good work they are doing and I'm sure if you are an animal lover, you would love to see them. I have attached some pics. Nice clean bathroom too! I loved it here and would go again.

Visited August 2012

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Good tour , after the issues they really trying to get back on their feet ! The lions and tigers are excellent and great staff , looking forward to go back in a few years once the new cages are open and completed

Sydney
3 attraction reviews
“Mr Busch us back to save the day!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

When pulling up I was a little apprehensive, there didn't seem to be anyone around and the place seemed closed.

Anyhow 60 dollars I thought was a little steep at first but the place is bigger than it appears.

I was the only one on my 11 am tour so had the gift of having one on one with my guide Neville who had only been there 12 weeks but was happy to answer all my questions concerning the lions and tigers and bears (nah there are no bears).

It did seem a little run down and lacking in an educational sense, there weren't any billboards with the kitties names or species on but the guide was very helpful and tells you this anyway.

I got some really fantastic shots on my camera despite the lazy lions basking in the autumn sun. Beats going to a zoo but I hope they continue to improve the place so its got some side attractions while you wait for your tour.

I'd go again but this time in the afternoon when they've worked off their meal. The tigers are really love to talk to each other.

What's great is that it only costs a quarter of a Sydney bridge climb. That makes great in my opinion. Big cats rule.

Crawley, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
“Not open yet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

We were hoping to visit Zion as part of a tour of New Zealand and Australia and knew of their problems some time before we went. We had tried to get opening information from the park before we left home but had no replies to our emails. So we took a chance when in Whangerai and drove to the park in pouring rain only to find it closed. After a while a man came out to speak to us and said the park should be open again in a couple of weeks now that it was in the hands of new owners. Too late for us but if anyone else is planning a trip, it should be open by now. Our visit was on the 22nd of February, quite a while ago.

Visited February 2012